News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How are you celebrating Patriot's Day?

Started by Google, April 18, 2020, 10:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

Hello Fellow Appleseeders,

Patriot's Day is upon us.  How are you commemorating the occasion?  Did you make it to the range for a Memorial Volley, shoot a Redcoat, or maybe find another way? 

Post your pics here!

In Liberty,
Google

Mrs. Smith

There's a remote spot in the desert we go to frequently for long range stuff. Five instructors are meeting there tomorrow for a picnic (on our respective tailgates), Three Strikes, and volley.  I'll post pics after. 

We made it an "event" on Facebook for New Mexico, virtually, asking folks to join us from home to honor our fallen Patriots.

https://facebook.com/events/s/patriots-day-virtual-memorial-/272988423867274/
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Tennessee Beast

I'm at Hot Springs,  AR.  I got to shoot a cannon yesterday!   :F I plan to participate in the Liberty Volley at 3 CDT.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

CarrollMS

April morning movie yesterday.  Sons of Liberty mini series
, volley + backyard Appleseed planned today, also fast from tea! I wish I had a Sam Adams but a Yuengling Lager (Americas oldest) will suffice with Boston Baked Beans
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

colonial shooter

Today I am recovering from over doing it yesterday at the AS in Laramie. Great day ! Will read the names and do a dry fire volley at 2pm MDT.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

T. WOLF

A small group of Michigan instructors will be assembling at our local club this afternoon for a victory volley.  I hope Gov Whitmer can hear us in Lansing.  Pics to follow.

Let freedom ring!
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

CarrollMS

Singing the Concord Hymn as originally sung at the dedication of the monument to the Metical Hymn "Old 100" commonly used in the Massachusetts Bay Colony would be appropriate for today's memorial and as a Sunday Hymn . Here is is with the Old 100
https://youtu.be/W1ApkEnMCwc
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

raggedyedge

author of
The Ambidextral Gunfighter:
Training and Weapons Development
www.ambgun.com
www.youtube.com/ambgun

Gator0246

I just watched Raggedyedge's virtual volley and it was great.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams

CarrollMS

"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

mrsurplus

Couldn't make it out with the other Michigan instructors, so I did a backyard volley on my own
" There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism"
- Alexander Hamilton
" The key to life is how you deal with plan B" - Stephan Dias

Quinncannon

Fortunately, I have a couple of different ranges on my property, one for sidearms and rimfires and one for centerfire rifle. I unlimbered one of my bolt action CZ 452 UL's with Nikon EFR scope and shot three AQT's. scores were, 241, 242, 242. Shot per the rules.

I had been planning on attending the Hot Springs, Arkansas shoot, but things came up to alter my plans! Oh well, I look forward to the next shoot!

Hand salute rendered to our Forefathers!

"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Maximum Ordinate

The Alabama cadre is at the range shooting the newly revised AQTs.

We'll go to the KD range shortly for our volley.

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

azmule

Ranges are closed here - air rifle's gonna have to do.

Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

cwcdl79

Backyard, socially distanced.

RebelScum

Took today to join other patriots and rebels on Old North Bridge.  Yes, that North Bridge.  The Declaration of Independence was read aloud along with the names of all the signers.  Despite government orders barring gatherings, we exercised our rights as free Americans on these hallowed grounds to honor the sacrifices of those that came before us - and to once again speak of freedom. 

Meadow

Happy Patriots Day & our Heritage is strong.  Shores of Lake Erie are totally socially distanced.
Range was watched over by a soaring eagle as I shot this red coat. (need more practice)

Appleseed Dad

Happy Patriot's Day fellow Patriots!!!

My kids and I had a wonderful day today by Adapting, Improvising, and Overcoming the Coronavirus-induced cancellation of our beloved Appleseed Patriot's Day weekend.

There were seven of us on the line on our little range back behind the barn.  We ran two shooters at at time and we all got through at least one AQT each.  We had a couple equipment issues with a few stovepipes that dropped some points.  But, we had some pretty good scores!  224, 210, 208, 204, 200, 196 and a couple a little lower than that.

Then at 3p CDT, we did a memorial volley - we had an AR in there for good measure and some more noise!!  We all enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Tonight, we are going to watch the old 1957 Disney movie Johnny Tremain.  It is a family favorite of ours.  And does a pretty good job of sticking to the facts of April 19 when those scenes unfold.

I hope you all have had a wonderful weekend!  We are looking forward to being together soon on the Appleseed Trail!
-Chris (Appleseed Dad)

Sheepdog87

Took my second son out for his first real shooting session. Used a copy of the 100m AQT.
--ARW
Morgan's Shingle and Redcoats Cleared 07 MAR 2020
Rifleman 07 MAR 2020
Distinguished Optics 08 MAR 2020
Winterseed 23 JAN 2021

Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31

Reckless Rick

Last night we cut loose some fireworks in honor of what our forefather's started 245 years ago. Today I had  a solo volley at 300 yards with dismal results...practice and persistence always pays off
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

Pepper Spray

Captain America and I each shot a AQT. We thought it was essential to honor our forefathers and the sacrifice they made. Captain America scored a beautiful 212. I scored a 227. It just felt right to be yelling the line commands again. I was even tempted to miss the early mornings that accompany Appleseeds.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." John A. Shedd

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton

Post tenebras lux

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now." -Alex and Brett Harris from Do Hard Things

JoeZ

Had some people over and we honed up on CQB. Used some pistols and 22LR on steel and then airsoft pvp. This martial law light is has bummed me out but at least I get to shoot on Patriot's Day for once.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Bullet

First Patriot's Day with the stepkids. They already know fairly well what they are about but didn't know details of the April 19 story so we went through the 3 strikes today.

I haven't told it in years. It felt good! After all the Covid stuff is over I'm hoping to get back to actually teaching Appleseeds.

I wrote out a version to share on fb -- similar to how I told it at Appleseeds, but a bit condensed. It's attached. Feel free to recycle and repurpose.

Happy Patriot's Day . . . never forget April 19.
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Maximum Ordinate

you can find more info in the AAR... but here are some pics.

Alabama's motto

Staging steel on Saturday

Do you see that on the left?  HISR range flies our flag even when it's not an AS weekend!

The private KD event in Alabama got cancelled earlier this month.  The group was less than enthused and made a patch to commemorate it.

Everyone pitches in.

Social distancing.

Zooming in at 380 yards.

Recovering steel.  That's a long haul in the marsh at 380 yards.  Just saying.

Social distancing, Part II.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

D.O.M.

A low-key secretive Patriot's Day in Northeast Michigan! Shhhh! don't tell the gov'nr  :cool2:

Special guest, D.O.M. and Fly-Boy

Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

glock1911

MY SON AND I SPENT THE AFTERNOON AT THE RANGE SHOOTING BLACK POWDER GUNS AND RECORDING A PATRIOT'S DAY VIDEO
https://youtu.be/K2-P3tnmx8E
Klint Macro
Founder of The Trigger Pressers Union
Co-Administrator of National Train A Teacher Day
www.triggerpressersunion.com
www.nationaltrainateacherday.com

Tennessee Beast

This poem was read aloud at the shoot I attended in Hot Springs , AR. 

Ode to a Rifleman
By Big Papa (Steve Anderson) September 24, 2008

A Rifleman is not born but is cast in the Rifleman's mold by other Riflemen. These are mentors of great character, who encourage him to accept the honor, sacrifice and duty to defend those things most dear to patriots. A Rifleman learns that not all battles require a rifle, but he is to be ready on a moments notice should one be required.

A Rifleman comprehends that the war for liberty is never won, but that battles must be fought and won every day. He obtains the foresight to know that the battle today is of utmost importance and tomorrow there will be another battle of equal importance. He gains awareness that the interest of his country, liberty and freedom should be foremost in his life.

A Rifleman becomes as knowledgeable of his rifle and gear as he is of his enemy.  He grows proficient with the tools provided and is constantly striving to improve. He grasps the knowledge that the path to true perfection has no end, but always, is the most honorable journey. 

A Rifleman sees that he is surrounded by battlefields of all descriptions and magnitudes. He garners the ability to choose his battles and his battlefields. He becomes sure of his skills but realizes that pride has no place on any battlefield. A Rifleman learns his job is never finished, that persistence can win any battle, and patience can prevent many ill planned battles.

A Rifleman grows to be a warrior in all walks of life. He prays for peace, is pensive of the future and knows the enemy will never relent in it's pursuit of destroying liberty and freedom. He is thankful for being deemed worthy of the title and honor.

A Rifleman's greatest honor comes with the passing of skills, heritage and knowledge of obligations to those that will and must continue the war. He teaches them that a Rifleman's skills are never accomplished, but continuously pursued. When trained, his apprentices shoulder their arms and move on to continue fighting the war and teaching others.

A Rifleman comes to know deep within his heart that when his replacements are trained, his ammo is low, his barrel is hot, the sun is on the Western horizon and the enemy is scattered for the day, he, an old Rifleman, may go home in peace.

And when, as a Rifleman, he leaves the final battlefield the echoes of his life's accomplishments can be heard fading across the hillsides. Then, his fellow Riflemen can gather around his grave and know, without question, that this warrior was truly a "Man among men", a "Man who knew what he was about." 

A Rifleman!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on April 19, 2020, 09:42:02 AM
I'm at Hot Springs,  AR.  I got to shoot a cannon yesterday!   :F I plan to participate in the Liberty Volley at 3 CDT.

A CANNON?

You win.    :beer:
-Thomas Jefferson

ThreadNLead "TL"

12 of us got together and did 2 Memorial Volleys with a total of 26 names, + 2 Michigan Veteran's names read and honored.
It was socially distanced, intimate, reverent, and FUN couple hours.   :snipersmi
(We shot 2 flights to keep some distance, but that means double the names honored, so I'm cool  :cool2: with that!)
Patriot's Day weekend 2018 was mine and my husband (Tick Wrangler)'s first ever event. I am NOT the same person today, as I was then. And I have Project Appleseed to thank for that!
Here are a few pics and some mostly distant selfies... :whistle:

Rangerat being my unknowing model here... (and I figured why not post my accompanying Instagram post...Hope BlueGrassColonel doesn't mind I quoted his post...)

Surprised myself and cleaned it with no time to worry about my shots in between names...

Quality Time, with Quality People

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23

Roswell

Like Paul Revere, my Patriots' Day began the night before April 19th. I began a new tradition. My daughter, like me, is a lover of stories and always demands at least 3 stories before bed. She is firm, but fair, especially for a 2 year old.  ;) 

That night, April 18th, I read her the story of Patriots' Day. Yes, it was abbreviated. And yes, I had to distract her with images from a Star Wars book that I pretended to read from. But, hey, she is 2. Besides, I told my wife, that if she asked, we would tell her Paul Revere was a Jedi.  **)

Here are my daughter and I on the morning of the 19th before I headed to the range. She is why I do this.

I was blessed on actual Patriots' Day to be able to join 3 other from the Georgia Instructor Cadre.

Thank you to 76 Patriot, WileyCoyote and Overmountain for joining me!

Ironically, because of Covid we were forced to go to an Indoor range as the outdoor one our event was at is a private range open specially for actual Appleseed events. Because we were at a different indoor range we were relegated to shooting .22s and could only do so standing. But Riflemen persists!

Below is a picture of our motley crew. We may use it for our next album cover. Still taking band name suggestions.

Overmountain rocked the red Patriots' Day shirt.  O0

As we say in the South, a good time was had by all.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23