News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek DRRC February 22-23 2020

Started by janer, February 10, 2020, 12:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janer

Looking forward to our first event of 2020 at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, OR.  There is still room on the line if you want to sign up.

srxfan

Hi, I will be attending and looking forward to it!

I have a question about sights - I plan to use Magpul MBUS sights on an AR15 in 22LR. I have heard the opinion that because they are backup sights they are not very well suited for precision shooting. To me, they look like the usual AR15 style aperture sight and post, and I believe people use those just fine. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Tennessee Beast

Sights are somewhat dependent on YOUR confidence in their ability (shooting is largely mental).  If there isn't much wiggle in the sights, I would say you are good to go. 
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

srxfan

Thanks! I'll have a 1-6x around as well, but I wanted to do irons.

Prescott

I have struggled with the MBUS sights on my AR.   The click value of a sighting system is dependent on distance between the front and rear sights along with the thread pitch of the sight.

For my rifle, the click value of the MBUS sights was nearly 2 minutes of angle (MOA) per click.   You may want to determine what it is for your setup.

You can determine the click value of the sighting system on your rifle by shooting a couple groups.   

Set a target out at 25 yard, then shoot one 3 shot group for the baseline group.    Click the sighting system 20 click, and shoot another 3 shot group.   Measure the distance between the center of each group in inches.

Take the distance between groups (inches), multiply it by 4 (MOA /inch) and this will calculate the group distance in MOA.   Now divide the distance in MOA by the number of clicks and you will know the MOA/click value of your setup.

You will want to know this information to help zero your rifle during the event, and also for the DOPE (date on personal equipment) of your rifle.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

srxfan

Ah, great idea. I'll figure that out this weekend. Thanks!

srxfan

I didn't end up having enough time to make it Sunday, but Saturday gave me plenty to practice! I hope more folks qualified as riflemen Sunday.

Thanks to all the volunteers for your time and dedication in putting on the event!

janer

Great weekend at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.  Thank you DRRC for hosting Project Appleseed.  Thank you all for coming out in the cold, wet, and wind. Congratulations to all our riflemen.  New:  Mike with high of 225, and River with a 219.  Cliff requalified. Huzzah!

We also have a new Orange Hat.  Thanks for stepping up Mike!

Everyone showed improvement throughout the weekend.  We have a lot of you knocking at the door with 185-200 scores.  As we talked about Sunday, dry practice can get you there.

I will post the few pictures I have.  Flipper and Earl?
I really hope to see you all on the line again.

Earl

Hope to see everyone again on the range, do dry practice about five times a week, it is your body work on the steady hold factors and the six steps of making the shot, every shot, and do use NPOA, relax the body, close eyes breath in breath out, open eyes on target take the shot, not on target move the body. It really works and rifleman's cadence to cut your times.

I am on Facebook, posted many pictures there 'William Earl Dungey', and my blog is 'Earl's View Focus on the front sight.'
Am technically challenged and tried to post link to blog and post pictures and was 'timed out' by internet, Microsoft or this forum but I will be back.  :F
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.