News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Do we need a state patch?

Started by HammBone, November 11, 2019, 01:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HammBone

Ohio Instructors,

Maybe you've seen the threads where the other states are showing off their patches. I think they look cool! What would you guys think about having some done for our "uniforms"?

With Corvette's approval, of course. I have not used any Appleseed imagery in the patch concept I put together. And this is just a "shot across the bow". It can look any way you like. (The black in this image is just background. The patch would be Ohio flag shaped.)

Thoughts?

Mitch
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Mrs. Smith

Across the bow, my butt. That looks badass. :bow:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

cwcdl79

Corvette

We did a state patch a few years ago as top state in region. Will post picture tonight when I get home. Just finished for another idea.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Jerry Hall

Greetings All,
That is a fine looking Patch! Can't wait to the previous one from Corvette.
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Corvette

Below is the patch we did in early 2017 to recognize the great work Ohio did in 2016.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Hasty Sling

That ‘Ohio 2016' is one fine lookin' patch!

Now, I don't mean to hijack a thread (again), but where is the post with the other state patches? I've seen the post with the Tenn and Alabama patches, not any others. I think these patches show a healthy dose of local pride.

Cesar "Chico" Cruz

sleepy

All fine looking patches there!

I know Texas has some, both a Texas instructor patch and a Texas KD patch.

Wyoming is putting something together, too.

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: Hasty Sling on November 12, 2019, 04:58:44 PM
That ‘Ohio 2016' is one fine lookin' patch!

Now, I don't mean to hijack a thread (again), but where is the post with the other state patches? I've seen the post with the Tenn and Alabama patches, not any others. I think these patches show a healthy dose of local pride.

Cesar "Chico" Cruz

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=57287.msg373661#new

OOPS...that thread is only visible to instructors.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Crazyduckhunter

The question that I have then about state patches is:
-When is a state patch awarded?
   - In PA. Their state patch is awarded when the red coat is 1st cleared. I myself like this concept. I do remember the 1st red coat that I cleared was in PA and this patch is probably the most coveted patch that I have been awarded within the AS program. I know several people that are 210+ shooters that have yet to clear a red coat. It is something to work towards.

Comments and/or suggestions?

HammBone

I think that's a good idea but it eliminates the "state instructor cadre" purpose. Some states give the patches to instructors with a certain number of shoots worked and to any instructor from another state who works a shoot. I like that better. But a cleared Redhat patch would be a cool thing. They are hard.

I plan to attain some state patches in the future by aiming for the borders. Tennessee has a cool patch.

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

cwcdl79

I believe PA is either cleared redcoat, or take a hat. So its work either way.
No matter how you shake it, I love the patch idea!

HammBone

I'll have some made up to show around at the Christmas party on 12/7.

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: HammBone on November 13, 2019, 08:13:43 AM
I think that's a good idea but it eliminates the "state instructor cadre" purpose. Some states give the patches to instructors with a certain number of shoots worked and to any instructor from another state who works a shoot. I like that better. But a cleared Redhat patch would be a cool thing. They are hard.

I plan to attain some state patches in the future by aiming for the borders. Tennessee has a cool patch.

Mitch, I have a patch saved for you!

Also, Maryland has a front sight patch for a cleared redcoat target.

Tennessee awards state patches to Tennessee IIT3's and above (and AC's with 5+ shoots) as well as any visiting volunteer.  The program started last week, so border raiders will have to raid again to get a patch.     
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"

HammBone

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on November 13, 2019, 10:39:07 AM
Mitch, I have a patch saved for you!

Waiting to see how your schedule firms up for 2020. Last I looked there were only two venues locked in. I'll keep checking!

HammBone

Finished product! What do you think?

cwcdl79

Mrs. Smith

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

HammBone

HammBone

Tennessee Beast

Oh yeah! (in best Kool Aid Man voice)
John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Crazyduckhunter

Hammbone!
You  rock!!
Very cool!
I like!

Cactus Jack

Hammbone,

Great job on the patch.
1st Appleseed  7/17  Carroll
2nd Appleseed 10/17  Newark
3rd Appleseed  7/18  Newark
Cleared Redcoat 7/18 Newark
Rifleman 7/18 (215)  Newark

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

Charles McKinley

Very nice patch.

As far as I know there are no more of the PA patches available and we need a supplier.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

HammBone

A boatload of Ohio patches has arrived.

cwcdl79

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: HammBone on December 26, 2019, 01:30:20 PM
A boatload of Ohio patches has arrived.

Damn.

Now I have to go to Ohio.

HammBone

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 26, 2019, 04:09:03 PM

Damn.

You were destined to come here. Now you have a better reason.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: HammBone on December 26, 2019, 04:26:05 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 26, 2019, 04:09:03 PM

We'll talk when it's not winter  **)

Damn.

You were destined to come here. Now you have a better reason.

colonial shooter

Mrs. Smith it is always winter compared to the desert!

Our patches got lost somewhere?? They should be here (again) soon.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana