News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lexington and Concord article

Started by Tennessee Beast, November 07, 2019, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Mrs. Smith

THAT is a pretty fascinating perspective. Thank you, Beast!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Oz

Thank you! 

The discussion of leadership brings up something I don't recall seeing called out anywhere--I post here wondering if anyone else could give me a steer (or correct me so I don't keep going down the wrong rabbit hole!) 

It appears that from Col. Smith's perspective as he headed from Lexington to Concord, his majors had, at best, underperformed that morning.  Major Mitchell had released Paul Revere and abandoned his position on the Concord road, and the Lexington fight had been on Major Pitcairn's watch. 

Reaching Concord, he made different choices.  He had two companies of his own regiment with him, and managed to put the officers and men of the 10th in all four places his column posted up:

--Smith himself remained in Concord with the main body of his force (and then personally led the relief toward North Bridge).

--The magnificently named Captain Mundy Pole and the grenadier company of the 10th led the South Bridge guard detachment.

--Captain Lawrence Parsons, the 10th's light infantry company commander, crossed at North Bridge and led the expedition to Barrett's farm.

--The 10th's light infantry company, without Captain Parsons, remained with the guard force at North Bridge. 

It feels like after Lexington, Smith made a deliberate effort to have men of his regiment, who he knew personally, everywhere, rather than trusting his majors again with detachments on important missions.  Perhaps a sign of how Smith was recognizing and struggling with the peculiar leadership situation of his column even as he arrived in Concord?
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

CarrollMS

Thanks Robert,

I echo Mrs. Smith's observation. A comprehensive and detailed examination. I found a good deal of new quotations and information to me. 

As a retired officer who has taught operations, a couple of significant failures come to mind.

Unity of Command - it is the principle that there is but one commander. Given the secrecy in the selection of soldiers, and the strange command structure, new leadership, I think this is the foremost failure of the expedition. But there is a second critical lacking.

Second is to make sure the commander's intent and objective are passed down to the lowest level of command in a form they may need to effectively execute the operation. The secrecy may have been maintained by limiting the objective and concept of operation to the officer staff in Boston. The order should have been passed both in person and in writing. It was not. None of the officers had any idea of the final objective (Fisher addresses this in his book following the engagement at Lexington Green.)  Secondly, after the forces were deployed, the operations order could have been briefed down to all.  That is the way it is done now. This could have been easily accomplished at the disembarkation point in Cambridge when the force was simply standing about on the road awaiting Navy rations and the order to march.

Commander's Intent.  When I began this business back in 69, the Concept of Operation lacked a "Commander's Intent" . That was rectified in in the 80s. It is the first item in the Concept of Operations paragraph of the Order, and gives a perspective for *all* that follows and a unified focus for all engaged in the operation. This was clearly missing in the discursive letter of Gage (i.e., his Operations Order) to Smith.  Here is a summary of the Commander's Intent paragraph..... "As described in ADRP 5-0, the commander's intent "succinctly describes what constitutes success for the operation. It includes the operation's purpose, key tasks, and the conditions that define the end state. It links the mission, concept of operations, and tasks to subordinate units. A clear commander's intent facilitates a shared understanding and focuses on the overall conditions that represent mission accomplishment." Commander's intent, when used properly, should bridge the gap between the mission and the concept of operations. A clear commander's intent enables a shared understanding and focuses on the overall conditions that represent mission accomplishment.

I suspect General William Heath did not make the same mistake as Gage, and that the militia commanders were fully aware of his intent in the moving ring of fire as the Redcoats retreated (although at least one seems to have ignored the intent (Pickering))

It is interesting how Southwest Airline employed this "Intent" to focus every member's attention on the prime objective.

https://www.samuelthomasdavies.com/commanders-intent/

We have learned a great deal in our American military experience on command and control-often from mistakes like Gage's.

msc
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Leadslinger66

John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose