News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Redmond, WA Interlake Sporting Association AAR OCT 12/13 2019

Started by watzizzname, October 09, 2019, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watzizzname

Coming back to INTERLAKE SPORTING ASSOCIATION for another Project Appleseed event. As per usual, we're looking at a sold out line. 

Weather forecast is currently showing clouds, so its a safe bet that we'll get to experience some liquid sunshine  ;)

ChristineWAstine

Had a lovely time, thanks again to all of the instructors for making the weekend such a success!  And we couldn't have asked for better October weather :) 

Kimber Custom

Wow - what a great group of shooters we had this weekend. 8 - yes 8 new riflemen and a couple of repeats. Everyone was shooting sharpshooter or better - that's knocking on the door. A little dry practice and some tuned up equipment will ear those last few patches (dang - sure would have been cool to get 100%). Remember to stay focused on the process. Be better than you were yesterday. A Rifleman persists.

People are a little camera shy in Redmond so I didn't take pictures but Christine did clear her redcoat (.223 I might add) and Ruby was a trooper all weekend.

We have events in Redmond the next 2 months. Both are sold out but if you show up at 0830 either day, we will do our darndest to fit you on the line.

Thank you so much to the Interlake Sporting Association for all of your support of Project Appleseed.

Earl

I emailed the shoot bosses to find which event needed me more, this was not the one. Great shooters, not too crowded and not too many instructors having side conversations that distracted from the training. Makes me wonder how we once tried to train thirty to thirty-five at a time without Public Address sound systems.

Wonderful close groups, paying attention from the start. I began to believe that everyone had been to rifle classes before somewhere. Especially when the first groups I saw were within 8MOA. Luckily there were some that needed to work on fundamentals and we could help correct one thing at a time. Not having my name on the course of instruction meant I could be plugged in where the Shoot Boss needed, and my body could handle.

Did enjoy telling the third Strike and Hezekiah Wyman and his old gray mare... I did get to use my Leatherman needle nose pliers, and my Case pocket locking knife, for minor mechanical challenges. Not every one of the crew could be everywhere, but we do keep trying. But happy to share knowledge and encouragement and critical comment on the Revolution, especially where it must always be won. I often as the technology speeds away from my iron sights and GI web or 1907 slings, think I will soon become unnecessary and definitely outdated, and my parts are no longer under warranty. It was nice to share getting recognized for a 100 events and Will and Ben mentioning I was there way back when they stepped up to carry on the Appleseed mission. I remember Will telling me many times  :DH: as he shot at Appleseeds and with Rifleman scores over and over - that when it was time he would but not this time. I gave up, but he had a plan. ^:)^

::) Glad to have helped... and I am looking forward to seeing you all on another range one day. Glad to be an American! :F
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

rict

Had a TERRIFIC time! Great instructors: I appreciate all the time you put in both prep and presentation.

Going to make copies of the AQT targets so that I can practice standing position at my local range (they don't allow kneeling, seated, or prone...bummer).

I'd love to attend a KD event, but I don't see any for WA scheduled. I'm trying to find a range in reasonable driving distance for 600 yd practice with my scoped .243 bolt action. I attended a "practical rifle competition" a few years ago where we were ringing steel from 250 to 585 yds. Lotta fun.

Still frustrated that my SKS wasn't working; I really wanted to see what I could do with that rifle on the Redcoat targets. Oh well...

Thanks, all!

Earl

Never give up RicT, ItsanSKS, decided he was going to shoot Rifleman with an SKS, and I believe he did. For sure he has been a real instructor/mentor on the Appleseed trail for many years. I got to work with him and two Georgia boys in St Augustine in 2010. ~~:) Range 15 on Ft Lewis (JBLM) has some public access to riflemen out to 300 yards, steel. You would have to check the rules for how to go.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

watzizzname

First off let me just say... wow. What a terrific weekend at Interlake Sporting Association. The weather was perfect and the level of skill and enthusiasm of the shooters was almost overwhelming.

Forging out 8 new Rifleman at one event is definitely impressive, and the fact that 4 of them were first time Appleseeders is even more so!! Add that to the fact that I believe each and every new rifleman proved that it wasn't just a fluke by putting up multiple 210+ AQTs. So, like I said... WOW.

Even those few people that weren't able to earn their patch this weekend were 'knocking on the door'. I encourage each and every one of the shooters (whether or not they got their patch) to develop a habit of dry practice. Make it a point to practice those 'rifleman yoga' positions you learned, so that your body gets used them.

I want to thank Earl for coming out to help this weekend, I'm sure it wouldn't have been the same event without you. Congrats on the 100+ event pin!
And a thank you to Betty (Tonks) for coming out to her very first event as a blue hat on Sunday.

I didn't take a lot of pics, but I believe I have one of each of the new riflemen that wanted one. you can find them here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=18O7X1UYQZCEY4L_1A2CXzSZi8SLqIMBU

Z-Man

Thank you to all of the instructors for a great weekend of shooting and learning. I've finally worked out all the kinks in my rifle (what a surprise, it was all of the aftermarket parts :slap:) and I'm excited to come back and get my rifleman patch, I think it will go a lot smoother when I can get through two consecutive courses of fire without a malfunction! I see the next events in November and December are both sold out, and then there isn't another until April. Is there any way to get a standby seat on one of the upcoming events?

Kimber Custom

If you show up Sunday morning at 830 we can almost always make some room for you. We do more AQT's and shooting on Sunday but you can come on Saturday at 830 as well but if the line is full I'm afraid we have to go with the pre-regs first

rict

Just found something relevant to the Appleseed philosophy:

Found this from a speech that JFK gave in 1961:

" Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort."

"preservation of freedom"...that's the key.