News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Port Townsend, WA Jefferson County Sportsmen's Association AAR OCT 12/13 2019

Started by maxwell, October 09, 2019, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwell

A little bit of water and moderate temperatures are forecast for the weekend, so conditions should be ideal for growing some Riflemen!

maxwell

Well, this was quite the adventure, with 30 shooters on a 20-person range, due to a change in circumstances with the club. JCSA is one of my favorite clubs, as it was my home range for a few years, and a great location for Appleseed. Running relays slowed us down a bit on Saturday, and unfortunately we didn't get in the usual AQT. However, we lost a few shooters overnight due to illness and prior arrangement, and went to a single relay on Sunday to make up some lost time.

We had a good mix of experienced and new shooters on the line, and several youth and parents, including a Snohomish Trail Life troop. It was a pleasure to work with all of them, and this was one of the most responsive groups I've worked with in a long time!

We had our first Rifleman on the first AQT of the day: Jay scored a 213 at his first Appleseed. Huzzah! A little shaky on the rapid prone stage, but his 49 in standing helped even that out. Jay, we have a nice orange hat ready when you get that second event done…

Chad shot a 201 with a bolt gun(!), Norm a 197, and Adrian a 189 on that first AQT, so things were looking up for the rest of the day. Adrian managed a 211 on his second AQT, thus narrowly avoiding a North Bridge baptism. In the Concord militia tradition, we voted on whether to shoot a fourth AQT after a short KD presentation, and Jared fired a 211 in this final AQT to become our third Rifleman at this event.

Norm was knocking on the door with a high of 204, as was Betty with a 201, and I was impressed by the shooters who showed improvement all day Sunday. Remember, dry practice in position is your friend, and will let you cut down on the ibuprofen needed for a weekend Appleseed. Relax into the sling and trust your NPOA: I think Rifleman's Cadence was something we could have emphasized a bit more to everyone's benefit, for the rapid fire stages.

Iron sight shooters: remember to focus on that front sight, so you can call your shots. Dry practice with a blank wall as target will help you get in the mental habit of focusing only on the top edge of that sight blade, and learn exactly when your trigger will break.

I didn't take any photos this weekend, but hopefully those who did can post them.

JayB

Adam and crew put on a superlative event for this first-time Appleseeder.After seeing their enthusiasm, professionalism, and good spirits all weekend, I am surprised more did not hit the magic 210.I am also excited to volunteer and become an instructor.
Thank you kindly to all!
Jay