News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

It's official! We've got our first 2009 OR Appleseed!

Started by AmbulanceDriver, February 09, 2009, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmbulanceDriver

Thanks to a lot of work from a lot of people, we've got our first Oregon Appleseed for 2009.  I say first, because we're already workin' on the next one!!!!  :)

It will take place at the Sandelie Golf Course just east of Wilsonville.  The dates are March 28 & 29th.  Sign ups will open just as soon as I can get it set up, just waiting for the paperwork to arrive from our host.

Special thanks go out to Terry H for putting us in touch with the folks hosting it, and very special thanks to Keith and Sandelie Golf Course for inviting us to their facility.

Fjol, nice to see you sneakin' over here from APS....  :)

Look for the registration link here; http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5806.0

AmbulanceDriver

Time will be from 8 AM until we don't have enough light to shoot anymore.  So probably around 5 PM.

Cost is $70 for the full two days, or $45 for one day only, but only if you pre-register.  There will be a registration link in this thread and elsewhere on the board as soon as it's set up.

Women, youth under 21, and active duty Military, Guard, and Reserve are all FREE!

Wheeler44

Wooo Hooo you go Oregon....
I knew that you folks would do a great job down there....... I can't wait to see you all again..

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Fjolnirsson

I am trying to round up anyone I think might be interested. How many places do we have on the firing line? I'd like to fill them all!

AmbulanceDriver

Total of up to about 40....   I already can think of about 7 or 8 that might be filled just with folks returning...

Wheeler, how's that cover coming along???  Might need to be longer yet..................    *grin*

Wheeler44

I think you Oregonians should check out the "friendly rivalry" goin' on in this thread...http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5682.msg53354;topicseen#msg5335... It seems that the folks down in New Mexico or Arizona(or someplace down there) have challenged the good folks of North Carolina and the goof er I mean good folks of California to a sort of "Who's gonna have the best Appleseed" the weekend of your Sandelie shoot. 

Now it ain't really fair since you got the best place and all.... and the better Instructors too now that I think of it.. But you might just wanna get in on the friendly competition..... I mean how many folks can we get on the line??? there must be room for 50 or so without too much work... How many riflemen can we turn out??? With  New York and fjol spreadin' the word,, I think that you folks have a good shot at havin' the best shoot...Whatdaya think??/

Wheeler44

Dang it  I got my dates mixed up    oh well
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Fjolnirsson

Funny, but 'd never thought of a golf course as being a place to shoot guns. There's one not too far from here, out in the country. http://www.mallardcreekgc.com/golf/proto/mallardcreekgc/

We could maybe get another appleseed set up for a few months down the road. Somebody'd need to call them and pitch the idea.

Anyway, I'm going to see how many I can get to the Wilsonville shoot. Can we squeeze in 60?

Big Sal

Okay, shooters...we can take a minute and give kudos to everyone responsible who made this happen, but we still have lots of work to do.  Oregon is once again on the Appleseed map (thanks to a lot of people), but we will need to establish more DAR's if we want to be considered a contender.  I'm slightly competitive, and happy for the Southwest with all their shoots, but what about us? I'm a little tired of reading about how much fun everyone else is having.

I'm still embarrassed for Oregon  :-[

We can't relax.  We need to stay pissed off still  !@#)

We need to make more calls  @@)

Beat down a few doors if we have to  &)

But watch out for the man  @&)

And ultimately, with some persistence and a little faith, our brothers around the Country will come to know we're the coolest  8)

Cave Junction is next.

New York

�To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them�  -Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence

Fjolnirsson

Since you are our Ambassador, would it help to give you names and contact info for area ranges, or would you rather we make initial contact first? You da boss, just itching to get started and help as I can....

Big Sal

Quote from: Fjolnirsson on February 10, 2009, 04:48:45 AM
Since you are our Ambassador, would it help to give you names and contact info for area ranges, or would you rather we make initial contact first? You da boss, just itching to get started and help as I can....

Well, I'm certainly nobody's boss, but do what you feel your heart says.  Have you been to a shoot? 

If you want to pass off any leads to me after you make initial contact, I'd be more than happy to take it from there and follow up. 
�To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them�  -Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence

Fjolnirsson

Haven't been to one yet, but have wanted to for a while. I am going to do my best to make the Wilsonville shoot. In the meantime, I'll cast the net at some likely spots, see if anyone will bite.

Wade

Been shooting and working on getting an Appleseed going down by Kalamath falls a range out by keno OR I just don't get there as often as I would like ,,,BTW there are 2 Ranges in the Kalamath falls area that I know of ..

If your going to ask find out who to ask ,,,If you don't ask you will not get any answer.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Kratos

I and several others I know will be attending as repeats.  PM me if you need help with setting things up.

Wheeler44

Event info link here;http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5806.0

That One Dude, Thanks for the offer.....you will be hearin' from us.. Get the word out inside your sphere of influence.

Get your equipment in shape ( I know that you have already).

I look forward to seein' you there.

Wheeler44

AmbulanceDriver

Dangit, wheeler beat me to posting the event info.  Let's get signed up people!  I have a feeling this one is gonna fill up quick!

Look forward to seeing everyone there!

spudsuckinmc

I'm so excited for the shoot, even more excited that the weather will be warmer! I always thought a golf course was a place to "shoot the breeze" but not literally  :~

AmbulanceDriver

Just about a month away folks.  If you haven't gotten signed up, make sure you do so ASAP!  And take these next few weeks to do some dry fire practice, get into your positions, practice magazine changes, and get familiar with your rifles!  It'll definitely help you!

trainsktg

Well, I'm going to be in-state for these dates, so I and my niece will be attending provided there are still some spots open. I'll be sending my registration in Monday. She'll be using my Ruger LTR, so that leaves me with my '43 SA Garand.  I still need to get her some earmuffs (and an old carpet remnant to lay on ::) ).

Keith

AmbulanceDriver

Fjolnirsson

Well, it doesn't look as though I am going to make it. :'(
I've had some unexpected expenses come up, and just can't manage the extra. I'm sure it'll be a blast, though. Wish I could be there. Hopefully, we can get another shoot set up soon.

AmbulanceDriver

Less than a month to go folks!   If you haven't gotten signed up yet, do so quick!  The line is fillin' up!    O0

AmbulanceDriver

Just a couple more days!  I think there are still a couple spots left on the line....  So make sure you're signed up and ready to go.  Take the time to clean your rifles, make sure they function correctly, and that they're zeroed at 25 meters.  And get ready to have a really good time, learn a lot of history, and learn to shoot a rifle more accurately!

AmbulanceDriver

On that note, we are officially sold out of pre-registration spots for the March 28-29 Wilsonville Appleseed.  I hope everyone likes each other, cause the line is gonna be TIGHT

trainsktg

Tight ain't the word. Yet, despite the rain, wind, mud, my pop-up doing its best to imitate Dorothy's house, soaked gear and clothes...we had a great time. My 15 yo daughter is anxious to return for Sunday.

Keith

trainsktg

I wanted to extend mine and my daughter's appreciation for the excellent instruction at the Wilsonville Appleseed this weekend.  The enthusiasm for and committment to the project was apparent in every instructor. Many thanks to you all  O0 . Well done.

Keith

Mister Clark

I must say, the sheer tenacity of the folks who showed up this weekend was an incredible testament to the American Spirit!
Every shooter left with a marked improvement in thier scores, and lot more information about the birth of our Great Nation!

I really enjoyed working with everyone, and hope to see you all at Appleseeds in the future!

Mister Clark
Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

Big Sal

Well, The Revolutionary War wasn't fought with every day being 72 degrees and sunny.  I can't even imagine, especially with their primitive apparel, what it must have been like.

My first shoot at Wade's place was freezing cold and snowing.  One of the things I remembered most was all the instructor's remarkable ability to ignore the elements (and get us to ignore the elements) and keep us focused on the instruction and goal.

There will be more shoots this year in Oregon.  And the weather is bound to be nice for at least one of them...I think :-\

Meanwhile, the first-timers of this weekend will know exactly how to prepare for their second shoot.  You're always a little smarter the second time around.

nonwo

I was a first timer who weathered the rain, wind and mud at the end of March in Wilsonville.  My grudge wasn't so much with the weather, but myself for the lack of appropriate clothing.  Rubber or rain proof outer layers would have made the difference and I was fortunate a fellow seeder offered her blanket and warm packs to keep my rain soaked clothes from freezing me, which allowed me to finish the shoot.  Usually, I stay indoors when this sort of weather approaches, but there may very well be a time when I must be in it.  Needless to say, those clothes are on my "buy right now" list.

NW Ham

I wanted to say Thank You to the instructors and shooters. My 15yo son and I had a great time.  Ya, weather was bad, but it's Oregon. Ya, lotsa mud, but it's Oregon. And Ya, we had a lota fun, but it's Oregon  8). I learned a few things, can't see the front post anymore ;), neck don't work in prone :'(, and even if I was able to shoot from sitting in 1974 it don't work no more   >:(, and I need to get my son and daughter and me to more of these. The history was as good as the shooting. I talk with my childern lot's about the constitution and the meaning of the language. That it is about limiting goverment authority and not limiting the people. I belive we win by reaching our kids. So Thanks, what an Great Idea!
"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Frederick Douglass