News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Casualties 19 April 1775 Regulars and Militia

Started by CarrollMS, August 11, 2019, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarrollMS

Casualties 19 April 1775 Regulars and Militia
Source: https://archive.org/stream/battleofapril19100cobu/battleofapril19100cobu_djvu.txt
"The battle of April 19, 1775 : in Lexington, Concord, Lincoln, Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville, and Charlestown, Massachusetts"  published by author in 1912

I read the casualty reports detailed in this history and put them in a spreadsheet. The Regular casualty numbers came from Gage's official report on file in London and provided to the author (includes the names of officers). The Colonial Militia has all names, but apparently one, and its count on the spreadsheet agrees with the author's total for militia casualties. See attached spreadsheet

................KIA|WIA|MIA|POW

Redcoats....23|106|17|1| ......Total   147

Militia.........49|041|05|0| ......Total   95
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Captain

Most of the numbers I've seen have been a lot higher on the British side. Fischer (Appendix Q, page 321) gives two totals for killed/wounded/missing of 272 and 273 (as well as 271 in a note). I have also seen another number of 274, but I can't currently find it. Either way, it would seem there are several sources pointing toward a number of approximately 273ish. I've also seen different numbers for the militia (killed 50/wounded 39/missing 5) for 94 total; very close to the numbers you had.

Most of what I've seen shows a ratio of about 3 to 1 British to American casualties. It is interesting to see the different estimates.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

CarrollMS

Thanks Captain. I agree. The UK Regulars casualties were much higher.

Thanks also to Oz who pointed out in a PM that I had missed some units for the Regulars due to the way the document was formatted. The counts that I now recognize from this source for Regulars are 272 total as shown below and on the revised spreadsheet.

KIA|WIA|MIA|POW|Total
65|178|27|2|272

Lt.Cols....... 2 WIA
Lts............. 1 KIA, 9 WIA, 1 MIA, 1 POW
Ensigns....... 2 WIA
Sgts........... 1 KIA, 7 WIA, 2 MIA, 1 POW
Drummers... 1 KIA, 1 WIA
Rank & File. 62 KIA, 157 WIA, 24 MIA,

"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200