News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Blue Ridge, GA July 13-14, 2019

Started by Cleveland, July 14, 2019, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland

Saturday started off with WileyCoyote telling the First Strike. After the red coat target, the instruction began in earnest with 25 eager shooters, eight of which were 18 and under. The line was filled with many father/son, father/daughter, grandfather/grandson, husband/wife and even mother/children combinations. It was great seeing families sharing the experience. To further enhance the weekend, we had a Brit and Frenchman on the line. As soon as the Third Strike was told, a severe thunderstorm popped up. The shooting line was soon under water, and high winds destroyed pop-ups and the target line. Lightning drove shooters to their vehicles for safety. Once the lightning subsided, the shooters and rifles were sent home to dry out.

On Sunday 17 shooters returned, many showing up early to help the instructors rebuild the line, and they even brought more pop-ups to help protect from the sun and rain. More history was told, the previous day's instruction reviewed and standing position taught. At noon, when we are allowed to start shooting at this range, several shooters discovered moisture in their scopes. More loaner rifles were issued, and then the process of re-zeroing rifles began.

Congrats to Paul with a Rifleman score of 210 and Wayne with a commanding 216.  Many more shooters were knocking at the door of a Rifleman score.

Thank you all for your persistence and dedicating your weekend to Liberty! We hope to see you all on the line again soon.
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Combat photog

This was the 1st Appleseed for my wife and I. Despite my wife shooting a new rifle that had too long of a stock and had a malfunctioning 10 round magazine, all of the instructors pitched in by loaning her a Ruger 10/22, patiently remounting the scope to suit her eye relief, teaching her how to zero it (she had never fired a scoped rifle before), and provided patient and thorough instruction on safe and accurate marksmanship. Although my wife enjoys firing her pistol, she has never spent much time firing a rifle. By the end of the 13th, she was grinning from ear to ear and said it was the most fun she'd had in ages, despite the terrible thunderstorm that soaked all of us and destroyed two pop-up awnings. I've been shooting for years, but learned many new techniques, and am working to break some self-taught bad habits. My best round was a 201 firing a centerfire rifle, but I will diligently practice the instruction given and plan to qualify at our next Appleseed. I can't thank all of the volunteers enough for working so hard to make the weekend great for both of us. CokeGuy even loaned me a shooting mat on Sunday after I forgot mine. 

Another crucial aspect of RVMA's mission is teaching the history of the Patriot's that founded our Nation, and the instructors really brought these men and women to life by vividly recounting their bravery and belief in Liberty to overthrow the yoke of tyranny forced upon the Colonists by the British. Many of the stories told by the instructors gave me chills. In my opinion, what many of today's citizens fail to thoughtfully consider is that every Colonist that rebelled against the Crown was risking death in combat or execution by hanging and the confiscation of all their property for being traitors if the Revolution failed. Picking up a musket and walking out of your home to face well-trained British Redcoats to start a revolution was an incredibly brave and patriotic decision with deadly consequences. 

I believe in the RVMA's mission and the dedication of its volunteers so much that I spoke with CokeGuy to take the 1st steps to become a RVMA volunteer. Now is the time to teach our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights so we never lose the freedom and liberty that we all enjoy today. I hope you will consider attending an Appleseed shoot soon and/or getting involved with Appleseed's mission. If you do, you'll meet some great people and enjoy a fun and safe sport.

"A Father's Journey to Iraq" by Greg Janney
2008 Ramadi, Iraq Memorial service for the 2/4 Marines KIA during the 2004 deployment
www.allyouneedphotography.blogspot.com

Tennessee Beast

Huzzah!  Sounds like a successful event!  Combat photog, I hope you do follow through and become a RWVA volunteer.  It is a very rewarding experience. 
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

CorgiMom

I was so impressed to see so many families sharing an Appleseed weekend together! And such great attitudes and persistence throughout the weekend, especially when up against extreme weather! Congrats to Paul and Wayne! Keep practicing, and find another event to attend soon. Such a pleasure working with you all!

Liberty!
Rifleman and KD Qualified 19Apr2018
KD Re Qualified 15July2018
KD Re Qualified Distinguished 04Nov2018
IBC Canton 1-19
Red Hat 13Apr2019
25M Re Qualified 02May2020
IBC Canton 2-21
IBC Antioch 3-21
25M Re Qualified 17April2021

Combat photog

Tennessee Beast, I'm all in! CokeGuy gave me a blue hat and made me pose for a photo, so there's no turning back now. I'm looking forward to using my photography to market and promote RWVA's important mission, as well as volunteer at any events on weekends that I'm not working. Looking forward to seeing y'all on the firing line.

As CorgiMom mentioned, congratulations to Paul and Wayne for qualifying as Riflemen this past weekend.
2008 Ramadi, Iraq Memorial service for the 2/4 Marines KIA during the 2004 deployment

Cleveland

The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020

Cleveland

Paul getting baptized with water from the North Bridge

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020

Cleveland

Group photo right before the storm hit

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020

6Bones

A few more photos from the Project "Aquaseed" event in Blue Ridge.

Enjoyed the weekend!  Thanks to my fellow "hats" and a very teachable group of students!

Great job as SB - Cleveland!

Combat photog

Roswell

As we say in the South, it looks like, "a good time was had by all".  :) Good job everyone!

Welcome aboard Combat photog!

Congratulations to Paul and Wayne!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

ssonb

The grandson and I did not qualify but we did not really expect to but we did learn how to read the targets that alone along with the basics will give us a foundation that we can use to measure our target groups and what to correct as we "practize" for the next AQT.  Just one suggestion.... Have in place in future orientation and safety meetings a procedure for the future riflemen to be able to pick up their rifles off the line and secure them in our vehicles in the event of a severe thunderstorm, some of us lost a few hundred dollars on scopes that went underwater.

Roswell

Quote from: ssonb on July 19, 2019, 10:35:18 AM
The grandson and I did not qualify but we did not really expect to but we did learn how to read the targets that alone along with the basics will give us a foundation that we can use to measure our target groups and what to correct as we "practize" for the next AQT.  Just one suggestion.... Have in place in future orientation and safety meetings a procedure for the future riflemen to be able to pick up their rifles off the line and secure them in our vehicles in the event of a severe thunderstorm, some of us lost a few hundred dollars on scopes that went underwater.

I'm very sorry to hear that this occurred ssonb. While I have never had that happen in particular, I have left events before and had to send parts back to multiple manufacturers due to it not standing up to the hard use we (especially me) tend to put them through. However, usually I do have good success with returns and repairs. I'd advise you to look into that as well. Most Optic companies have some sort of guarantee and if the scope is new, the seller (Brownell's, Midway or whatever) may even be able to help you with a repair or replacement.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

ssonb

No problems with the scopes, they be Nikon so far the service has been good.

Black Knight

Combat Photog, so very glad to read your comments.  It is very inspirational to all RWVA volunteers to hear of the positive affect the Appleseed Project events have on a person.  Congratulations on accepting your blue hat.  I am looking forward to seeing your name on many future events.

Black Knight
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Cigar

Hey, this is the guy who got 216 on the AQT. I just wanted to give a shoutout and big thank you to the great people who showed up, especially the wonderful RWVA volunteers. It was my first experience with firearm instruction, and I was under-prepared to say the least. From two instructors, I borrowed a shooting mat and then another one after the first one got drenched. I also borrowed from Q a rifle with an accurate scope and sling because my stock 10/22 did not have a sling, which was in retrospect key to my results (the sling went from something that looked funny to something I probably won't shoot without). This was paired with great concern for everyone's safety along with generous personalized instruction.

The training speaks for itself. I've attached my (day 1) before and (day 2) after groupings. An instructor affirmed the Morgan shingle by the .30 cal rule.

I definitely would not have made this progress without the extensive support I received. This community is deeply supportive and clearly dedicated to the mission of keeping our nation's fine history and traditions alive. Thanks again, and I hope to see you all again soon.