News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Deborah Sampson's incredible story

Started by eaglescouter, July 04, 2019, 05:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Ducky

Thanks, eaglescouter!  I'm very glad you posted.

Here's another article--it goes into more detail about the depth of Deborah Sampson's determination and heroism (for instance, she tried to dig a pistol round out of her own thigh, in order to not be revealed as a woman, so she could continue fighting in the war).

Maybe Deborah Sampson's story will inspire some instructors' Sunday Appleseed "Determined Dames" stories! (We've told it at our range in Sacramento, to great reception.)

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/deborah-sampson
Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand

GTEngineer

I fit this into the Sunday DOM, since Samuel is the official MA state hero, I follow up that DOM with the story of Robert Shirtliff (aka Deborah Sampson) and conclude with the telling of her being the official MA state heroine.  Especially when I have female attendees of any age on the line.  Fits into it well and is a short story.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleerâ„¢:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleerâ„¢ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

The Wolfhound

Read the article.  Pardon me if some of the details do not work.  If she enlisted in 1782 it would be after the siege of Yorktown and most of the fighting in the North was over.  That does not match the story's details.  Something stinks here.

T. WOLF

Here's a related article I just stumbled across from the Smithsonian, which also addresses the discrepancy in dates re: Yorktown.
I was about to post this and then I located this thread. This has the makings of a good D.Y.W. story!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/diary-sheds-light-deborah-sampson-who-fought-revolutionary-war-180972547/

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780