News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Prayers for Lomshek & Peterson families

Started by Maximum Ordinate, May 21, 2019, 04:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

Friends,

Yesterday, a tornado touched down and Lomshek's house was hit.  Thankfully, there were no injuries. 

I spoke with Roger earlier today and he said there is no immediate need that we can help with.  He's got family close by to help and they have chainsaws for the cleanup. 

If you're the praying type, I'd ask you to keep our brother and his family in your prayers.   :)

best,
Rusty

Edited by Lomshek - Hunter Peterson lives three houses down from me and was also affected.  In their case they lost some shingles, their addition was flooded and the barn he just built a few years ago was pushed crooked. 
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Monkey

Rusty,

Thanks for passing this along.

Is there material support required that we can help with?

vr/
Jesse
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Monkey on May 21, 2019, 04:28:57 PM
Rusty,

Thanks for passing this along.

Is there material support required that we can help with?

vr/
Jesse

When I spoke with him, he was in good spirits.  His is grateful for family and friends stepping up to assist.  There's no immediate needs we can help with right now.

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

scuzzy

Oh man - not good. We've been having some really crazy weather around here too but fortunately nothing like that.

Prayers incoming.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Thaddeus

Prayers of course, but please let us know of whatever else we can do materially.

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Charles McKinley

Done,

Please let us know if there is anything else's we can do.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

postal16

"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

Lomshek

Thanks everyone.  Prayers are always appreciated.

I forgot to mention it to Max Ord when he called but I live in an (almost) Appleseed neighborhood.  Lumberjack (Hunter Peterson) my local IIT3 lives 3 houses down from me and his property was hit too.  I've only spoken with him a little since it hit as we both have a lot of cleanup to do.  He and his kids were in their house when it hit and thank God none of them were hurt either (no one in town was in spite of dozens of houses being hit).

Hunter's neighbors work shop exploded across their fence into his driveway and, like us, lost the kid's play house/slide.  His house is intact as is the barn he built after his old one burned down a few years ago.  They did lose one duck but it may have been the one that wasn't very bright and hung out in the middle of the road.

My 21 year old son was the only one home at the time it hit.  Fortunately for him he was in the shower with his hair full of shampoo.   **)

He launched out of the shower running into a hallway and hunkers down naked and soaking wet!  My family's twisted enough that we could laugh about that afterward.

Right now we're working our way through the insurance process as we wait to find out if we get a new house.  It's still standing but a couple exterior walls are not straight.  We'll see how the insurance works out!

Here are a few shots of my place on the ground and one of Hunter's from a drone. 

Hunter's house from overhead.  His house is the center one.  You can see his neighbor's shop vomited into his driveway.

My garage and back of the house.  The grill has cooked it's last dog!

Front yard and neighbors across the street.  Whole bunch of trees down!

Back yard with barn and trailer. 

I've been building mountain bike trails and was loaned a "trail in a box" trailer from the Kansas Trails Council.   We were going to return it last week but the guy who was going to drive it bailed when his wife went into labor so it sat at my house over the weekend.  Unfortunately that means it was here when the tornado hit.  Thankfully it was just dinged up a little and some body work will fix it. 

308LIBERTY

"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

PHenry

Man, and I thought hurricanes were rough!  :wb:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Lomshek

Quote from: PHenry on May 23, 2019, 04:52:38 PM
Man, and I thought hurricanes were rough!  :wb:

I think you guys just get more warning!

Lomshek

So yesterday was kind of crazy!

We had three tornadoes in the area last night.  The one closest to my house (about a mile) skipped around for a while not really touching down then vaporized.  About 15 miles further southeast the system dropped a very destructive tornado on Carl Junction, MO and Airport Drive, MO (north suburb of Joplin, MO) and wiped out a bunch of homes.  The same system dropped another tornado on Golden City, MO about 30 miles east of us.

All this happened on the 7 year anniversary of the horrific Joplin, MO tornado that killed over 160 people and wiped clean a big portion of the city of 50,000 including a hospital.

Seeing the destruction of other homes from the tornadoes yesterday just reminds me how fortunate we are to have been really minimally affected.  We may need a new house but we're still in it for now warm and dry while we get some bonus exercise from cutting and hauling wood.

This is the tornado that (almost) touched down a mile from the house 2 days after we were hit.

Here's the Carl Junction tornado 15 miles away.

This is the Golden City tornado that wiped out a number of farms and homes as well last night 30 miles from me.

This double funnel hit west of Galena, KS about 10 miles south of me last night.

While it's called Tornado Alley this is way more activity than we have ever seen in my 50 years.  It's been a very wet year with a lot of storm activity!

malabar

Having survived several hurricanes down here in Florida, I empathize deeply.

Please let me know if there's anything the program can do.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Crazyduckhunter

WOW WOW WOW
Sure hits home of how lucky we can really be in life sometimes.
Prayers Sent to all.

TaosGlock

I lived in Kansas for awhile.
Hope all is well.
Be safe.
Dan
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Leadslinger66

Prayers for all that were affected!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Lomshek

Spent a little while over at Hunter Peterson's house today.  A few years ago his barn burned to the ground and he and family built a replacement.  Like the rest of the neighborhood he has some roof damage as well.

Like me he's waiting on a structural engineer to inspect and determine if it is salvageable.  His barn is still on the foundation but now leans to the back about 3 feet at the roof.  All the walls are visibly crooked.

Waiting to see of this is declared a disaster area.  Apparently that opens up some funds for uninsured losses.

In our case the house is covered at full replacement value but the out buildings top out at $16K which is probably inadequate.  Still have a ways to go before we see how things end up.

Thanks again for all the prayers.

d2331

Quote from: Lomshek on May 23, 2019, 12:04:08 AM

My 21 year old son was the only one home at the time it hit.  Fortunately for him he was in the shower with his hair full of shampoo.   **)

He launched out of the shower running into a hallway and hunkers down naked and soaking wet!  My family's twisted enough that we could laugh about that afterward.

Glad no one was hurt.  Because of that I got a chuckle out of that.  A sense of humor is always helpful.

It certainly has been an eventful last few weeks.  I narrowly dodged a tornado last week myself, and luckily no one was killed in that tornado.  Don't think there were any major injuries either.  That was the first time I've ever heard of a tornado emergency and hopefully that's a club I don't join again.  Fortunately, the worst I had to deal with is picking up various size chunks of insulation in the driveway/yard that were blown in.  I had 3 different colors of insulation in an area smaller then my shoe print!

Stay safe!