News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

March 7 & 8, 2009 Corona CA Appleseed

Started by LayloPro, January 30, 2009, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LayloPro

Hey, all you Californians!!

Here is yet another chance to beat the snow plows, the foul weather, the bad drivers, & the lousy food all the other states have to contend with, and attend a classic Southern Californian weekend @ Raahaughes Shooting Park, learning your heritage as an American, and also learning how to become an even better rifle shot than you are now.

You just bought a new rifle in anticipation of "Change"? We will show you how to be safe, efficient, & accurate with it.

You say you've never fired a rifle before?? No problem!! We will train you how to safely, efficiently, & correctly operate a rifle.

You don't even have a rifle of your own? Again, not a problem. Make a note in the sign up comments, & we will try our best to arrange a loaner rifle for you. Most are also available with ammo to be purchased.

While we still have to deal with the restrictive California gun laws that have been legislated onto us, we still know how to have a great time, while becoming better Rifle men & women.
All applicable California rifle restrictions are in place, if in doubt to what is allowable, please refer to: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/

*No detachable box magazines may be brought into state with capacity exceeding ten rounds.  Unless you owned them prior to Jan1, 2000; then it's OK. All Tubular-magazine 22s are OK.

*"Assault weapons" ban- If you're registered with CA DOJ already, you're fine and can shoot your AK, AR15, G3 etc. with no problem.  Might want to Xerox the DOJ document and keep it in the rifle case.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" into the state.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" to the range.  Similarly, unregistered 50 BMG is not legal.

Out of state shooters, don't bring military-pattern semiautomatics as they're almost sure to fall under the "assault weapon" ban.  M1 Garand and most 10-shot fixed-magazine SKS.are OK, however.  There is one SKS exception: Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit.  (Having said all that about "assault rifles", there is provision in state law for out-of-state shooters to bring "assault rifles" to CA shooting events; anybody wants to try that out might want to read the statute for themselves and consult a lawyer-welcome to California.)

Now, what is this going to cost you? Well, first.....you have to pay "attention". Women, 20 and under, and active military are given free admittance. Guys, 21 & older that are -not- in the military will be charged $45 for one day, $70 for the full weekend if they pre register here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/188163803%20
If they just show up at the door, it will be $50 for one day, and $80 for the weekend, plus the range fees.

The range fees for Mike Raahaughes Shooting park is $20/day/shooter.
You will also have to pay for the ammo you shoot.

We shoot at 25m (82 ft) at a reduced size Army Qualification Target, scaled for 100, 200, 300, & 400 yd shooting.
After we have trained you, you will be able to shoot 4MOA or better at up to 500 yards with a rack grade rifle & ball ammo.
We do not require the use of specialized gear, it really is a "run what you brung" shoot. We suggest the use of between .22 - 8mm rifles.
Iron sights, Tech-Sights, scopes, semi auto, bolt action, lever action, pump action, if you have it, & want to learn how to shoot it better, bring it!!
Plan on shooting about 250 rounds of ammo, per rifle, per day. The range is our classroom, & we very much believe in teaching, & shooting.

For more information on this shoot, please check here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4051.0

There are local motels if needed. Please see the above link.

We gather at lunch on site to explain the importance of April 19, 1775, and the beginnings of our country, & our Heritage. Plan to bring a bag lunch both days, I guarantee you will not want to miss this portion of the event. Come learn about the choices made by the men and women of Colonial America, and their final response to an oppressive King. See if you can see any comparisons that might be drawn between then & now. See what your own choices are.

No tracer ammo is allowed, however, magnetic is ok.
Please arrive for check in by 8:30am.
We recommend you bring: Sling; shooting jacket; elbow pads; shooting mat (or carpet remnant); water/drink bottles; teachable attitude.

We have 50 spaces available, so hurry & get yourself pre-registered, so you do not miss out on this opportunity!!

We'll see you there!!

Any questions? Call Bob 210 at (818) 359-2046
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Fred

What about the birthday party?

Celebration of the First Anniversary of the California Appleseed Project. First time, last March, right in Corona - right?

Folks, I know there will be fireworks, a wet T-shirt event for the ladies, and all the other things Californians do so well. I wouldn't put it past some man-made snow on Mt. Appleseed, and a special excursion just to be among the first to "ski Mt. Appleseed!"

Sorry, locals - hope I didn't let any cats outta the bag.... :( :) ;D     

PS: Great plug, Laylopro. Are you the Shoot Boss honcho for this, or sumthin? O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

LayloPro

Hah!! :D

Only "sumthin'" here, Boss...... #) (I think they said something about "SBiT", but I might have misheard......that happens..... ++) )

And Thank You for the reminder of what I forgot here that is of major importance, the Cali Birthday party!!!  @@) O0 <:)

That's right folks, "Ol' Timers" has stepped up & slapped me upside the head again, & made me forget that this event, this one that we are talking about right here & now, is the anniversary of the -VERY 1ST APPLESEED IN CALIFORNIA!!!-

It was just one year ago, on this very range, that Appleseed made "Gun World" history, by coming into the "forbidden zone", the land that time forgot, the land that former citizens had fled, trembling in fear that they might be made an example of, the land that the rest of the country had come to regard with disgust & loathing as one of the -worst- "gun control" states.........Appleseed came in, & with over 50+ stalwart Americans on the line, proceeded to run relays, & train up Riflemen!! And future RifleWomen!! This is WHERE it all started!!

The initial event had Jr. Birdman, Dragonwood, Bob210, KoolAid, AzGrommit, SoCalSerf, and Francis Marion working all three bays, in a relay.  We had folks from all over the country, including, if I'm not mistaken, a fellow from "somewhere in the frozen Northland"......who after he got hooked, brought his wife along to another event, and a few more family members.....well, you -know- that story, right CC?? :)) O0

We have had more shoots here @ Mike Raahaughes Shooting Park since then, but this one is special, as Fred says......We will have fireworks, I plan on running more than a few "Liberty AQT's", so if we have a paltry 50 on the line, that translates into 2,000 rounds fired downrange in 4 minutes or less.....THAT'LL get your blood pumping!!

Hmmmm, wet t-shirt contest......I haven't actually "planned" for the Hooters girls to come down for lunch, but you know......it's Cali, so you never know......... O0 >:D ^-^ (I'll check with Mama to see if I can get a "kitchen pass" to go down & "recruit"....)(yeah, right!!!) ++) **)

Snow on Mt Appleseed I'm leaving to the capable hands of MrBill, who will be shoot bossing the next Piru shoot....we do have some "white stuff" on our local mountains, but right now as I write this, it's 76 degrees @ 30.02", & 45% humidity........hope all the bunnies out there have their snow suits on........ **)

We have handed out quite a quantity of fliers @ the last gun show in Costa Mesa, plus we have some folks from the last shoot here that really want to stand in the "inner circle", while receiving both their Rifleman patch & California rockers!! (Thanks, Boss!!) And we usually see them also want to help give some back to the group, since they realize how much they've been given, both now, & in the past from our Founding Fathers.

So, folks, this will be a "special" event this time (they usually all are, just some are "more special" than others!!) We have some great instructors on tap for this event, & we are looking forward to making you all truly great shooters, with a knowledge of your Heritage.

We'll see you there!!

Laylopro

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Camljr

Quote from: Fred on January 30, 2009, 10:13:06 AM

What about the birthday party?

Celebration of the First Anniversary of the California Appleseed Project. First time, last March, right in Corona - right?

Folks, I know there will be fireworks, a wet T-shirt event for the ladies, and all the other things Californians do so well. I wouldn't put it past some man-made snow on Mt. Appleseed, and a special excursion just to be among the first to "ski Mt. Appleseed!"

Sorry, locals - hope I didn't let any cats outta the bag.... :( :) ;D     

PS: Great plug, Laylopro. Are you the Shoot Boss honcho for this, or sumthin? O0

Mt. Appleseed is in PIRU... Not Corona.... :D :D !@#)

But I like the T-shirt contest Idea... no matter where it happens.      :o :o ;)

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

LayloPro

That's right!! All you shoot bosses!! We (here in Cali) are willing to let you SB's in whatever state you are Appleseeding, have your very own wet t-shirt contest......as long as they are Appleseed Tshirts!! Fred has come up with a wonderful idea here, & we heartily welcome all "good ideas"!! :D

We just want to see pictures!! I'll be willing to bet that some of the more "frost-bitten" states probably won't hop on this new AS bandwagon until it "warms up a little for them"......Think Valley Forge!!

Don't let Cali steal your thunder by being the 1st state to do "everything" now......Step up & sponsor your very own AS wet T shirt contest...... **)

As goes California, so goes the nation......sheesh, I guess we gotta show these guys how to do -everything-....... **) **)

All right, Instructors, I have an idea here......huddle up!! ;) @@)

LLP

colycat

Im going to check the air fare prices.  Seems like I should be where it all started for me.  Plus SO CA sounds pretty good about now.  Somehow We got roped into camping in IL this weekend to build a DAR.  Going to be really warm, 35 degrees.  Thats Fahrenheit :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

We will have all day Sunday to shoot though.  Really hard to pick which firearms to take.  I narrowed it down to eight.  Whew!  Took me about an hour. :-\ :-\ :-\

ColyCat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

SavageShootr

We would be glad to have you colycat.  O0 <:)

Maybe this time OG can make it too.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

LayloPro

Come on down, Coly!!

You are 110% right, this is an anniversary that you should be here for.......
And the weather looks to be pretty good, comparatively..... O0

I have a $100 bill that says you probably (and the rest of your folks there) shoot a whole lot better now than you all did last year, too! <:)

So come on down, bring the kids, & join us for a celebration birthday party where it all started.....still surrounded by the nicest "poo-generators" in the state!! **)

And I know that if you all do come out, JohnnyAppleseed would be more than happy to hand you guys some of those valued "California" rockers for shooting RM scores here.
Matter of fact, I think he'd be real proud too........ O0 ;)

Besides which, it'd give OG a great chance to "warm up" on all kinds of stuff for the 4/19 events.....

Heck, we might even pull Fred out here to be the "wet AS T shirt" judge......and promoter of bigger Cali events.......I -know- he's always ready to come out to "see how things are out here" now, & I'll bet Funfalers latest report made him kind of jealous that Fun got all the "fun" from that trip..... **) ++)

We are, after all, in Southern California...... %) **)

So let's go, SoCal folks!! We've got people from the frozen Northern states that want to come down & take your "warm" spots on the line.....or behind it.......and they're wearing colored hats!!! >:D ;D

Coly, OG, we'll leave the light on for ya...... ;)

LLP

Camljr

Laylo,

Can anyone talk to the forum host people about getting Emoticons with orange, red and, green, RWVA hats on them??? I think that would be so cool!

Just a thought....   #)   #)    #)
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

webdancer

A round of applause for the folks who worked the last Costa Mesa gun show! O0 

This week, I received e-mail from some of the show customers expressing their appreciation for the booth folks sharing the Appleseed message with them. Three of their party have already registered and they are very excited.

When our "hats" tell us that gun shows bear fruit, they are wise indeed.

P.e.r.s.i.s.t.i.n.g, 
Webdancer
More fundamentally, however, the basic premise of the Court's argument–that American law should conform to the laws of the rest of the world–ought to be rejected out of hand.  --Justice Antonin Scalia, dissent to Roper v. Simmons

SavageShootr

Webdancer

Excellent job!!

Do they need LTR's?

Thanks for all you do. See you in a couple of weeks out at Piru.  :)

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

webdancer

Quote from: SavageShootr on February 10, 2009, 01:12:48 AM
<snip> Do they need LTR's? <snip>

SavageShootr,

I think they're good. The one without a gun plans to borrow one from one of his friends. I told him that if that didn't work out, he should put on his registration form that he needs a loaner rifle.

I appreciate the excellent gun show training from you, JA, and V. <bows and doffs cook's cap>  ;)

P.e.r.s.i.s.t.i.n.g, 
Webdancer
More fundamentally, however, the basic premise of the Court's argument–that American law should conform to the laws of the rest of the world–ought to be rejected out of hand.  --Justice Antonin Scalia, dissent to Roper v. Simmons

LayloPro

OK, gang!!
2 weeks to go, and we are -only- at 39 pre-regs.....this is the 1 year birthday party for Cali and Appleseed here, and we only have 39 pre-regs??!!??!!
With all the advertising that has gone into this??

I'm thinking that we should be seeing 75-80 folks on those lines, and run amok over the other ranges there, spreading the seed, & letting these folks know that -this- event is special!! >:D &) ++)

Can you all talk to a few more folks, and make sure (give 'em a ride, give 'em a rug or shooting pad to lay on, get them a rifle, get them some ammo) that they get there!! -WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!!-

Now......I have been talking with several of the instructors who will be at this event......and we all agree that this is a truly historical date in Cali history.......think about this....it was -just- one year ago that Appleseed -finally- arrived in Cali......no more having to drive into other states.....no more 4 day weekends needed to be able to shoot for 2.....no more "other states" laughing at Cali because of her screw-ball politicians & their political games with our God given rights.......

We have so much here to celebrate, and to give literal Thanksgiving for here now.....And every person that I have personally met at any of the several AS's I have attended, has shown me how -much- this program has meant to them, it is unconscionable to do any less than we have, or will for it. 

So I ask you here today, this Thursday right now....to think hard & deeply......what can we do on the coming weekend @ Corona, to celebrate this day -BETTER-, and to let the 40-80 folks who are with us for the first time there, know that this program will not only change -them-, but also their country.....and be a real "Change", that is for the better, not the worse.....

Give me your ideas so we can implement them & execute them in a timely fashion for this special event......we have until Weds.....so PM me, or post here....we will do what we can to make them happen....

We'll TTYS......
Laylopro

Biscuit

As much as I need to go to get a rifleman's score. I have a re-enactment that weekend down in Vista.
If I had know I would have gone with the shoot at Carona rather then go shoot Yankees :~ ( For those who don't know I re-enact the War Between the States A.K.A. the Civil war).
MAN do I HATE some of my nicknames.

shot the score on Sept. 26th, 2010.
Started in 2008/09. Total events attend as a shooter: TOO MANY!!!!

James T.

LayloPro

I re-enact the War Between the States A.K.A. the Civil war

Biscuit,

You're a good lad..... @)  :)

But here, on this forum, I can warn you in very basic terms.....the "Civil War" is not what it is properly called.....

The correct verbiage is: "The War of Northern Aggression"........
And you -realllllllly- don't want folks like Junior Birdman to remember you when you do a RBC, or an IBC with them, after you've been "talking that other way"...... ++) &) @&)  &)

Plus, Fred is from No. Carolina....and they are probably kind of touchy about it too....... $$-0

Now, you do realize that out here in Cali, we Appleseed 24/7/365.....no weather woes, no excuses......we've even been out when it was "kinda chilly" (Recall the Dec shoot @ Raahaughes....)

You will need to check the calender on the front page that has "upcoming events"......http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm

And mark up your calender for the shoots you want to go to......we will be having more, but 4/19 may be the next one you can get to......

Plus, we have the Costa Mesa gun show at the end of March we need folks at the table for to promote those shoots.....

Can we count on you??

PM me, or Bob....one of us will get you squared away on all this...... &) @&) :~

TTYS
LLP

LayloPro

Hmmmmm, only 39 pre-regs so far, and we have about a week to go......

Folks, get out there talking to people, and get them there....this is an important bash this time.......the 1 year anniversary for California being lifted from the morass of strictly liberal agendas, and fitted with a bright light (Appleseed) to help guide the other states with.....do NOT let your state down by being lazy or indifferent!!

We have a huge job to do here still, and this is one of those times we can work, and play, at the same time......... O0

Besides which, AS cake will be served right after the three strikes on Saturday....... ;D :))

Git 'er dun!!!

Laylopro