News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Liberty Center, Ohio January 26-27, 2019

Started by Texas T, January 31, 2019, 05:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas T

What a weekend. Did I say "Winterseed"? Yeah, we had snow. Yeah, we had a little wind. Yeah, we had cold.  I don't think that it ever got above 20 degrees, but that didn't stop a group of folks who truly "Knew what they are about" from coming out to take the challenge.

We had a total of 16 shooters and instructors take on the course, many taking home the coveted "Icicle" patch, signifying that it would take more than a little weather to keep them away. By the end of the weekend, 8 could claim ownership.

High score went to Hammbone, with a 239 and a personal total of 7 AQT scores higher than the required 210. St8Space was close behind, with 236 and 228. Yankee came in with a 235 (out-shooting Little Buddy for the day). In addition to those scores, CrazyDuckHunter, Strelock, Cadence, Third-Degree and Little Buddy all scored higher than 225. Well done to all.

Redcoat scores were quite high, as well. Starting Saturday morning, with 11 shooters at the line, 4 showed proficiency at 300 yards, 2 at 400, 4 joined the ranks of Daniel Morgan, and 2 cleared the whole thing. By Sunday afternoon, with several shooters needing to leave early, 7 were left on the line. Of those, 5 were in at 300, 3 at 400, and 3 joined Daniel Morgan. Not bad for a weekend where many fingers could not even fully feel the triggers.

The club provided an excellent hot lunch, both days. Thanks ever so much.

Here are a few photos that I was able to grab, if you have others, please feel fee to post them below.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Starting the weekend. A beautiful winter day in Ohio...
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Some chose to try the gloved approach. Kept the fingers a little warmer, but trigger control could be more of an issue...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Some tried the non-gloved approach (better trigger control, but maybe only for the first 10-15 seconds)...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Then, like in New England, some couldn't decide. So they tried the hybrid approach...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Overall, the weather wasn't too much of a burden...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Stepping inside, to gather a little warmth, we shared some history, including one of the King's Grenadiers, surrendering to Mother Bathrick, along with "her" asking that a message be relayed back to King George...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

By the end of the day, the line was getting a little sparse, but a few wouldn't give up on earning that elusive patch...

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Thanks to everyone who came out to make this a great weekend. My first, but probably not my last, Winterseed.

Thanks to the Henry County Sportsmen's Association, for providing the range and lunch.

Lastly, thanks to Charley, for taking care of dinner for us.

Catch you all down the trail.

MI IBC, February 2017

Cactus Jack

I would love to see that group pic we took.
1st Appleseed  7/17  Carroll
2nd Appleseed 10/17  Newark
3rd Appleseed  7/18  Newark
Cleared Redcoat 7/18 Newark
Rifleman 7/18 (215)  Newark

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

Charley

Some pictures from Little Buddy

Charley

More from Little Buddy

Charley

Some hard earned patches! Little Buddy, St8Space, and Cadence

Charley

While school priorities kept me away for the weekend, it was great having dinner with and seeing everyone out for the weekend! See you all on the trail again soon!

Cadence

Thanks to Texas T for Shoot Bossing this event. Hope you can come back as a shooter next year. Great group of shooters as they should be since all but one were instructors. This is the second time in three years that the weather has cooperated to give us a great Winterseed. Cold, snow and mostly brilliant sunshine that helped us tolerate the cold (plus the warm clubhouse for instructional breaks). Hope everyone had a good time.

Alex, thanks for coming up from Antwerp to experience a Winterseed. Hopefully you relate your experiences to your club and we will able to host an Appleseed in Antwerp.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

More photos
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

HammBone

Great event! The only Appleseed I've done that was more fun was the New Philly KD. Do we have Winterseed KDs?  :cool2:
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Texas T

And I forgot to say that Hammbone took our Winterseed to the extreme, camping outdoors in a tent!

Not getting enough of the cold stuff, he also went out, early, and cleared the fresh snow from the line, so that we could all find our way around.   O0

Thanks, Hammbone.    :F

MI IBC, February 2017

Corvette

To all the shooters, a big HUZZAH!!!

This event truely was a Winterseed and all of you that patched should be proud.  I was disappointed that I could only join you all on Saturday but work has its priority.  So many great scores and in these conditions is truely impressive.  And Hammbone sleeping in a tent outside was impressive.  Based on my personal results, I need to spend a lot more time on the line to get my trigger control back.  Threw way to many out of the black.  Oh well, there are worse things in life than having to go to the range more often. 

Thanks to all for getting Ohio Appleseed off to such a great start.  Thanks  to Charley and Littlebuddy for coordinating the event and thanks to Texas T for coming all the way from Pittsburg to SB.  Great to see all of you there. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

sleepy

Looks like another great "sunshine patriots need not apply" shoot. Good Lord willing, I'll get to join you guys for a Winterseed some time.

Crazyduckhunter

This was a great time had by all at this WINTERSEED. I so much enjoyed being able to shoot all weekend. Thank you to everyone for making this such a fun event. The food was fabulous and the club is a great supporter of our mission at Apple Seed. Thank you very much.