News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Instructor Boot Camp in January 2019!

Started by AF5US, December 03, 2018, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF5US

When the fantasticWeezer made an IBC post a couple years ago, I don't know that she realized it would become a template.  It's so awesome though, we're gonna keep using it :)
The 49th annual (okay, not really) Texas IBC will be held on
January 18-20, 2019
at the World Famous
Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club in China Spring, Texas. 
Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club ("CTRP")
384 Range Road, China Spring TX 76633
GPS Coordinates: Lat 31.691138, Long -97.283281

Click here for directions to the CTRP:  http://www.ctrpclub.org/map

Anyone who wears any color RWVA hat is invited to attend.
Anyone who might be interested in wearing one of those coveted RWVA hats is ALSO welcome to attend, but please PM our state coordinator TXRebel or myself so we can discuss :)

Attendance is strongly encouraged.  Aw, heck, let's just say attendance is mandatory.  ~~:)     If you are unable to attend, please PM me to work out alternate arrangements.   Also, if money, transportation or an angry spouse might get in the way of your attendance, let me know and we'll work it out.

We are a huge state and, therefore, a large group!  This is your single, best opportunity to meet a large portion of the Texas cadre and talk, share stories, and learn from them.
Border Raiders are welcome!                                        Border Raiders are welcome!                                   Border Raiders are welcome!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm asking everyone to register via the Project Appleseed website. 

To Register, Click Here: https://goappleseednow.org/?event=waco-tx-instructor-boot-camp-january-18-20-2019

Times/Basic Agenda:
   Friday (optional) - Club will be open to attendees starting at 3 PM. 
                                      - Non-members of CTRP will be able to shoot as Guests of CTRP with a Member.  Please bring $5 :)
                                      - Optional medical training course will take place from 6 PM to 8 PM.
                                      - No certifications will be given; rather, we'll be going over basic medical training
                                        covering situations you might encounter on the range. 

Saturday - 8 AM until bed time (if you're arriving Saturday morning, please plan to arrive no later than 7:30 AM)
                           - Interactive "Hands On" Instruction, History/strikes and safety breakouts all day!
                           - Campfire and fellowship in the evening!

Sunday - 8 AM to 5 PM
                          - Rifle familiarization, KD Range Orientation/training, LibertySeeds, troubleshooting, State of the State, etc.

Meals:
   Friday (optional) - dinner (simple stuff like cold cuts, chips and soda)
   Saturday - breakfast, lunch, hot Texas Dinner!
   Sunday - breakfast, lunch
  All weekend - coffee, water, snacks
***While food, snacks, water and coffee will be provided, please feel free to bring your own if you have special dietary requirements.  Please - no alcoholic beverages!

Cost: $35 - (payable at the door) which includes $30 to cover meals, snacks and water for the weekend, and "range fee" of $5 for CTRP for the use of their excellent facilities!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is an IBC?
An Appleseed IBC is an intense, drinking-from-the-firehose, weekend of interactive classwork (indoors, all weekend), where all instructors will get plenty of hands-on instruction and mentoring, while building friendships and camaraderie.   You shouldn't have any fear/trepidation about attending.  Bring the skills you have, and be ready to learn.  You WILL learn a lot, and have fun.  Even (ESPECIALLY!) if you're a newbie, or it's been awhile since you've volunteered at an event.  We Need YOU!

This is NOT your Mama's IBC!  We're still putting the final finishing touches on the presentations, but, BELIEVE ME there will be no sitting on our duffs listening to the professor from Ferris Beuller's Day Off droning on and on for two days.  Instead, we're going to be doing a ton of hands-on learning during breakout sessions.  Read on…

Blue Hats - get to know the instructor corps, see what goes on "behind the scenes", learn how to help run a safe event, learn/practice the points of instruction and history in case you might want to change your hat color in the future.  We want you doing POIs, breakouts, troubleshooting - everything!

Orange Hats - this is a great way to boost your performance in 2019!  You'll have ample opportunities to practice and polish your points of instruction, safety, and history skills.

Red Hats - we need you!  Our ideal ratio is 1 Red Hat for every 2 Orange Hats.  Plus, this event will help to shake out the winter cobwebs that may have grown on your perishable skills.

Shoot Bosses - You already know everything, right?   Great!  ALL Shoot Bosses should be at this event.  This may be the only time we have such a large gathering of our cadre, and it's a great opportunity to make friends, build our team and relationships, and mentor.

Some logistical details:
We will be in the meeting room.  It seats 50 people, so we'll have plenty of room. 

There is camping on-site, but trailer hookups are likely non-operational.  There are bathrooms and a nice kitchen for fine dining!

WE WILL HAVE CLUB MEMBERS AVAILABLE TO ACCOMPANY NON-MEMBERS TO THE RANGES!
Do you have an AR-15, Garand, or M1A that needs sighting in?  CTRP is a GREAT place to shoot out to 200 yards!
During instruction time, there won't be any shooting, but there will be rifle familiarization - AR15, M1 Garand, M1A, AK, 10/22, 597 and 795. 

What should you bring?  Well, in addition to your personal items for spending an overnight, please bring:
•   A teachable attitude. 
•   any teaching materials you normally bring to an AS
•   The instructor manual  (let us know if you need a copy)
•   A notebook or pad of paper and pens/pencils
•   A dummy rifle, if you have one
•   Your copy of Paul Revere's Ride
•   A memory stick if you want electronic copies of our files
•   A video camera to record yourself in the breakout sessions - trust us, this will be an eye-opener for you

How should you prepare?

Blue Hats:
•   Read "Paul Revere's Ride"
•   Read the current Applecore Manual
•   Prepare for the AC1 RSO test, if you'd like to be certified to clear the line at Appleseed events
•   Make up a list of any questions you may have
•   Browse the current Instructor Manual, especially if you're planning to participate in the breakouts

Orange Hats:
•   Read "Paul Revere's Ride"
•   Read the current Instructor Manual
•   Read Fred's Guideposts
•   Try to commit as much of the "cheat sheet" to memory - line commands, safety rules, steady hold factors, etc.
•   Have at least a basic understanding of the strikes and DOMs

Red Hats:
•   Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc
•   You will be running/assisting in the breakout sessions. PMs with details will be forthcoming
•   You have no need for that cheat sheet, right?     :cool2:
•   Make sure your POIs are sharp

Shoot Bosses:
•   Be ready to discuss all aspects of the history - prelims, strikes, DOMs, etc.
•   Read the current Shoot Boss Manual
•   You will likely be a squad leader for the breakouts - PMs with details will be forthcoming
•   ...I don't even need to mention the cheat sheet, right?     :cool2:
Our mission is serious: the urgency of saving the country, and everyone's safety at our events.  That being said, if you're not having fun doing this, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Please check in here occasionally for updates.  We'll see you all this January!
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mercedes

Hi Jason,

Let me know how I can help.  If possible, I'd like to pull together the Blue Hats that attend to ensure they are comfortable with their role and responsibilities, some Q&A, as well as to solicit suggestions.

BTW, I've registered Padraic and me using both the Shoot sign up page in TIPS as well as the link below.

Debbie

A-lister

You can count on me being there! I attended one a couple years ago. Learned a lot and loved it!
We in America do not have government by the majority-we have government by the majority who participate......All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

ITB

Quote from: AF5US on December 03, 2018, 05:13:28 PM
When the fantasticWeezer made an IBC post a couple years ago, I don't know that she realized it would become a template.  It's so awesome though, we're gonna keep using it :)

She did, um, "borrow" it from someone else......   ;)  ;D
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Mrs. Smith

Point taken,  ITB!  ;)

Will you be ramrodding the IBC?
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

ITB

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 16, 2018, 12:49:09 PM
Point taken,  ITB!  ;)

Hmmm....interesting choice of words.... ???

Would love to, but January is my busiest month on my day job.  Besides, Texas has its own Gray Hat to run Boot Camps - Scuzzy!
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Mrs. Smith

[Jusquote author=ITB link=topic=54841.msg362451#msg362451 date=1544979394]
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 16, 2018, 12:49:09 PM
Point taken,  ITB!  ;)

Hmmm....interesting choice of words.... ???

Would love to, but January is my busiest month on my day job.  Besides, Texas has its own Gray Hat to run Boot Camps - Scuzzy!
[/quote]

Happy accident  **)

I just remember you ran my first boot camp, in January of 2016.  It was awesome.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

scuzzy

Quote from: ITB on December 16, 2018, 12:56:34 PM
Besides, Texas has its own Gray Hat to run Boot Camps - Scuzzy!

Well if I'm running the show I'm gonna order a keg of beer.  :beer:
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Weezer

Quote from: ITB on December 16, 2018, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: AF5US on December 03, 2018, 05:13:28 PM

She did, um, "borrow" it from someone else......   ;)  ;D

Ahem...ITB, if you look at the original IBC post from last year (or was it the year before?), I gave Michigan full credit for having stolen borrowed from your format.   ;D
  I will say, though, that AF5US did add some snazzy upgrades... ..:..     Nicely done!   O0
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Mrs. Smith

Well gang, so far it's only shoot bosses signed up to attend,  which sort of defeats the purpose.  Anybody know if there are orange or blue hats who plan to attend, but haven't signed up yet?

scuzzy

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 18, 2018, 03:19:20 PM
Well gang, so far it's only shoot bosses signed up to attend,  which sort of defeats the purpose.  Anybody know if there are orange or blue hats who plan to attend, but haven't signed up yet?

I'll PM/email a few and see if we can get them out.

BTW: We've got Richard Jones to do Basic Medical.

Mercedes

Tracy,

My understanding is that IIT3 Ammo Dog (Clint), IIT0 RiflemanforCHRIST, and his brother, IIT1 Curly 624 from Denton will be attending.  I'm sure that Jason spoke with two newly crowned Orange Hats, Cecil and Mims, and Blue Hat, Cash, from last weekend's event will be joining us and I know that he spoke to the Orange Hats at the Trail Life event about registering.  I have a new Blue Hat, wwbrock, that has been told and I need to follow up with him to register.  A-lister posted that he's attending, but maybe he signed up using the link from Jason's message and hasn't also signed up using the Instructor sign up page. 

So, Scuzzy, you beat me to it.  I was going to ask that you send an email all of the TX Cadre with a link to the IBC thread and a separate registration link.  The forum is confusing for the newbies and those who don't frequent it very often.

Deb

GenX Minuteman

I'm in as a Red Hat.  I think A-Lister and myself will be driving up together.

Chad

Don'tFix1776

Marshall here in an orange hat (Rifleman Nov 2018 Alice TX shoot). I am trying to see about attending for Saturday and Sunday (my wife may be a bit apprehensive). Getting going with this orange hat has been a slow process. I still have limited forum access, so I am not sure where to sign up, or if I am recognizable in the Appleseed books yet. If any information or guidance can come from this post it will be appreciated and hope to meet and see you all there.
Thanks.
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

Mercedes

Marshall,

If this registration link doesn't work (To Register, Click Here: https://goappleseednow.org/?event=waco-tx-instructor-boot-camp-january-18-20-2019), then go the top of the message and click on the link below the scrolling "Border Raiders Welcome".  You can add your wife as an attendee on the Registration page.  This will give her the opportunity to learn about AS and meet other Instructors as well.  The Registration Fee is collected when you sign in on Saturday morning.

After registering there, then go into TIPS and under the Sign Up Tab, click on Sign Up, when the US Map opens click on Texas and a calendar of events opens.  Find the Instructor Boot Camp and click on Sign Up, then follow the prompts (it will be helpful for the Shoot Bosses that are planning the event to know what you have completed and are still working on - there is a comment area that you can include this info - if you haven't completed any of the Progress Checks, just tell us that!)

Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.  Call if you still have any questions.

Debbie
817-991-6982

KG5JIV

Wow looks like i need to frequent the forum more often, sounds like a great weekend with the best of the best. Life seems to get in the way and unfortunately i'm already commuted to another event that weekend. look forward to getting to the range more in 2019 and earn a spot with the team.
William

Mercedes

William,

We will miss you.  Instructor Boot Camps are offered across the country throughout the year.  Ours happens to be in January this year.  The advantage of attending our IBC is that you'll get to know other Instructors that you'll be working with in Texas, but you are welcome to attend any IBC in the country.

We've got seven shoots scheduled through June in Ft Worth and hope you'll be able to attend and get your IIT training started.  Call with any questions.

Debbie
817-991-6982

Don'tFix1776

Ok, thanks, I am all signed up. I can only attend Sat & Sun.
-- Marshall
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

AF5US

O0

Good deal!

Quote from: Don'tFix1776 on January 03, 2019, 02:03:26 PM
Ok, thanks, I am all signed up. I can only attend Sat & Sun.
-- Marshall

Mercedes

Mrs. Smith

Just a heads up, gang

I'm working on a father/son team from El Paso - Dad is checking on time off availability - they are Carlos.A.Franco and Juan.Carlos.Franco, respectively (Debbie, you can give the boy a hard time when you see him)

Also working on a pair of Blue Hats from La Luz, NM. They're retired folks who spent the holidays in Florida, and there was talk of them adjusting their travel plans so they could attend the IBC on their way back home.  I just sent them a nudge about that.  They are GrandpaChuckie and Lauren.

Last, I'm bringing a stowaway who hasn't yet gotten a hat.  Jim assures me that is a situation that will be rectified at the IBC.  His forum name is VXMakesMeTwitchy (dude has an odd sense of humor) and we will be traveling together. Since he doesn't have access to TIPS yet, he's only registered via the goappleseednow website.

That is all.

T

Mercedes

I sent a PM to several N TX Orange Hats and a couple of LA and OK border raiders.  Have heard back from a couple of them but only Ammo Dog has been able to register to attend.

Mrs. Smith

Just heard from my blue hats, Chuck and Lauren. They were planning to join us, but a close friend died unexpectedly and they're going home to help her husband. They send their regrets and regards.

AF5US

Regrettable, but certainly understandable.

One of the goals from 2018 was to up the numbers on the blue hats.  That needs to be a goal in 2019, but I think progress is being made.  I'm proud to say that my own KC5TEA has been helping in that regard.

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on January 07, 2019, 12:30:28 AM
Just heard from my blue hats, Chuck and Lauren. They were planning to join us, but a close friend died unexpectedly and they're going home to help her husband. They send their regrets and regards.

Mrs. Smith

Well, gang? We're a week out.  What's the plan? Who's bringing what for rifle familiarization, etc?

scuzzy

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on January 09, 2019, 11:23:09 PM
Well, gang? We're a week out.  What's the plan? Who's bringing what for rifle familiarization, etc?

Me - AR & also a Tippman M4-22 for show and tell
Jason - M1A

OK - who else is volunteering?

What might be nice is the early birds getting there on Friday - maybe we can run some of the Quick AQTS - 40 rounds and 5 minutes to complete all stages.

Ghostring

Quote from: scuzzy on January 10, 2019, 09:23:37 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on January 09, 2019, 11:23:09 PM

Me - AR & also a Tippman M4-22 for show and tell
Jason - M1A

OK - who else is volunteering?

What might be nice is the early birds getting there on Friday - maybe we can run some of the Quick AQTS - 40 rounds and 5 minutes to complete all stages.

QUITE RIGHT!  We're a week out.  Whew!  Getting Close :)

We need some volunteers to bring out rifles for show-and-tell.  I'd like to have two of each there, if we can swing it.
NOTE: If you have an unusual centerfire or rimfire rifle, please bring it out! Let's see what we have!
:--- :--- :---
I'll have dummy rounds for most of these, but bring some if you have some  O0
(We currently need a 10/22 or two, and an AK-type rifle.)

Here's what we have/need for Rifle Familiarization:

.22 Caliber
1. Ruger 10/22 -
2. Marlin 795 (Marlin 60!) - Mrs. Smith (60), RANGE RIFLE: Marlin 795
3. Remington 597 - Ghostring
4. OTHERS
5. Tipman M4-22 - Scuzzy

Centerfire
1. M1A - AF5US
2. M1 Garand - Ghostring
3. AR-15 - Scuzzy
4. AK Variant (any type) -
5. SKS - Ghostring
6. OTHERS

GREEN HATS!
Bring your laser/training rifles, we'll need 3-4 (I have one), also one MAT per Green Hat (should be plenty!)
Maybe I'll bring some materials and we can MAKE A TRAINING RIFLE at the range, for fun!

And, as much as I like hearing myself speak, I need volunteers for the following bits:

History  :1luvu
1. First Strike - OPEN - Doesn't have to be perfect, but should be good.  Who's gonna volunteer  >:D
Second strike will be done "History Boot Camp Style", which is very cool!  I'll lead that.
2. Third Strike - OPEN

POIs
I'll do Prone POI, just to get the ball rolling :)
6 Steps/NPOA - OPEN
Seated POIs - OPEN
Standing POI - OPEN

Other Stuff  ^:)^
I've got a good presentation on Inches, Minutes and Clicks for y'all
Green Coat (Transition Targets) - This will be a talk-around with Green Hats*
*Mrs. Smith? Can you tell us how El Paso uses these?
Range Setup/Target Lines - Talk around with Green Hats

See you in a few days!

GR (Jim)
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

AF5US

Would there be any interest in a Mosin Nagant?

Ghostring

Of course!  That's an interesting rifle :)

Quote from: AF5US on January 10, 2019, 11:40:59 AM
Would there be any interest in a Mosin Nagant?
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.