News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Instructor Boot Camp in January 2019!

Started by AF5US, December 03, 2018, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF5US

Will do.

I'll bring my M1A, and my Mosin Nagant, & some accessories.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mrs. Smith

I MIGHT could talk Mr. Smith into letting me bring his AK with the underfold stock. It's not anything special, though.  Homer is available.  He went on a crash diet, started doing pilates, got lasik, some new duds.... He's really Homer 2.0.  Closer to an m4 configurati.ukon than he used to be. (For those who don't know the story, Homer is my AR)

Per Ghostring's request I'm bringing my model 60, and a Ruger American in 22mag.

I can demo any POI, do any POI, NPOA, etc.  I'm ashamed to admit my strikes are rusty. I do them so seldom, with several orange hats and only 4 events/ year.  I'm probably not the best choice for strikes.

T
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: scuzzy on January 10, 2019, 09:23:37 AM
What might be nice is the early birds getting there on Friday - maybe we can run some of the Quick AQTS - 40 rounds and 5 minutes to complete all stages.

FIVE minutes?!?!?  You mean I've been shorting myself a whole MINUTE all this time?????
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

AF5US

Regarding strikes . . .

I can do 1 or 3, either way.  Kirby will tell you that along with Didactic, I can be . . . verbose.  I get good feedback & keep people engaged, but it's not a 10-minute presentation. 

What's the thought process this time around? Are you wanting us to tell the strike, or to explain our thought process as we go through the strike?

If you're wanting us to tell the strike, I might be better off on strike 3 for the sake of time.  If you want us to explain the thought process behind how & why we tell the strike we tell, I'm happy with 1 - I've put a lot of thought into it, & there's a method to my madness.

All this assuming, of course, you'd like me to tell a strike at all  ;)

scuzzy

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on January 10, 2019, 02:48:34 PM
Quote from: scuzzy on January 10, 2019, 09:23:37 AM
What might be nice is the early birds getting there on Friday - maybe we can run some of the Quick AQTS - 40 rounds and 5 minutes to complete all stages.

FIVE minutes?!?!?  You mean I've been shorting myself a whole MINUTE all this time? ??? ?

Is it four minutes? Oh heck - let's make it three. OK - four. I've never done one of the rapid fire AQTs however I really like the idea.

On a serious note:

This is going to be the First Annual Dr. Rich P Texas IBC. Actually 3rd Annual - read on as to why.

Rich helped kick start Texas when things were falling apart back in 2015.

Sept 18-19, 2015 - I scheduled an IBC that wasn't really an IBC. I just wanted to get some instructors out and help rebuild Texas. It was billed as a KD/IBC. I figured having a shoot on the Sunday would get more people out. It worked. So Rich came out to help and we did Saturday as an IBC and did some shooting on Sunday. That was on Sept 18-19, 2015.

That IBC/KD helped. About that time period Weezer stepped up as Texas State Coordinator and gave Texas a much needed kick in the pants.

Jan 13-14, 2017 - IBC in Waco. Rich and ITB came out. Dang good IBC. Buku Instructors. Jim was Texas SC at that point. Texas really on the road to kicking butt.

Sept 30-31, 2018 - Rich and Fred come out to New Braunfels to help get our first KD range going. And thanks Tim.

Nov 11-12, 2018 - Man - wonder of wonders - Rich and Fred come out again. Rich tells me he's going to kick me in my mangina if I don't shoot expert. My mangina still hurts.

So anyhow guys - I love Rich as a Brother and sure am going to miss him. But he'll be remembered here in Texas for a long long time.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

NJrefugee

I first met Dr. Rich when Wheezer somehow snookered me into attending that 2015 IBC, putting me on the path to becoming an instructor.  We all bunked in this little cabin / classroom over the weekend. One thing I've been trying to forget ever since but will probably remember for the rest of my life is Dr.Rich in his underwear getting ready for bed! 

Two fast-talking guys from NJ meet up in Central Texas, and man we hit it off right away. He pushed me relentlessly to move through my PC's and get that red hat. Then when that was finally over, he really hit the gas and harrassed me until I became a shoot boss.  I know he did the same for a lot of people, and we are all fortunate that his positive energy was directed at us for a time.

Awesome Appleseeder and a great friend.

GenX Minuteman

Hey Everyone, This Chad here (scuzzy let me change my forum name from backtrack9 to GenX Minuteman).  Anyways, just wanted to let you know, I will be there on Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon.  I got the final word from my boss today I will be on the road during the week to help with an in-field issue.  I'll drive up late Friday night and be there early Saturday morning.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and to help pay tribute to Dr. Rich!!!!

Chad

Mercedes

Love the new moniker!

See you next weekend!

Debbie

GenX Minuteman

Oh yeah, forgot, as far as volunteering:

I volunteer for 1st strike (if you would allow it) as well as Standing POI.  Thanks!

Chad

Don'tFix1776

I have an AK but I am a little apprehensive to travel about with it but I will consider bringing it -- most definitely without ammo and mags. Most police officers out there are cool and respective of law abiding firearm owners, but there are a few that hate that rifle and I don't want to make trouble. I do have an MP5 (in 22lr) that cant hit the broad side of a barn, but it functions and looks like the center fire version -- I will bring that.
-- Marshall
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

Ghostring

Marshall,

Sounds great!  Any weird .22 is a win.  AK-wise: If you can bring an EMPTY mag for the AK, that'd be even better.

Jim - 713.545.9327

Quote from: Don'tFix1776 on January 14, 2019, 11:55:16 AM
I have an AK but I am a little apprehensive to travel about with it but I will consider bringing it -- most definitely without ammo and mags. Most police officers out there are cool and respective of law abiding firearm owners, but there are a few that hate that rifle and I don't want to make trouble. I do have an MP5 (in 22lr) that cant hit the broad side of a barn, but it functions and looks like the center fire version -- I will bring that.
-- Marshall
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Ghostring on January 14, 2019, 05:40:02 PM
Marshall,

Sounds great!  Any weird .22 is a win.  AK-wise: If you can bring an EMPTY mag for the AK, that'd be even better.

Jim - 713.545.9327

Quote from: Don'tFix1776 on January 14, 2019, 11:55:16 AM
-- Marshall

So where do we stand on who is bringing what, at this point?

Ghostring

Current TO THE MINUTE Info!

We have 10+ Orange hats signed up, and 23 total participants!  Sounds like a GREAT SHOOT!

Rifle Familiarization/Task Assignments
We have met minimum requirements (except for 10/22s, which amazes me!)
I can bring 10/22s, if needed - GR

.22 Caliber
1. Ruger 10/22 - (OPEN!)
2. Marlin 795 (Marlin 60!) - Mrs. Smith (60), RANGE RIFLES: Marlin 795 (FULL)
3. Remington 597 - Ghostring
4. OTHERS - MP5(.22lr) - Dont'Fix1776, Ruger American .22Mag (Mrs. Smith)
5. Tipman M4-22 - Scuzzy

Centerfire
1. M1A - AF5US
2. M1 Garand - Ghostring
3. AR-15 - Scuzzy
4. AK Variant (any type) - DontFix1776 (AK), possible Mrs. Smith, possible SNAITF
5. SKS - Ghostring
6. OTHERS - Mosin Nagant - AF5US

GREEN HATS! - Need 3-4 MORE Training Rifles/Pads
Laser Training Rifle(s)/Pads - Ghostring(1)

History
*All history presentations will be prefixed by an explanation of the strike/DOMs and a series of items to consider in the strike.
The strike should be done AS IF you were at a standard AS shoot speaking to a group of shooters.  Normally, is what I'm saying  :cool2:

1. First Strike - GenX Minuteman
2. Second strike NOT DONE, will be broken down "History Boot Camp Style" - Ghostring
3. Third Strike - AF5US .. Sunday
DOMs are presented Sunday...

POIs
Safety/Safe Rifle - OPEN
Prone - Ghostring
6 Steps/NPOA - OPEN
Seated POIs - OPEN
Standing POI - GenX Minuteman

I'm so excited!  I just can't hide it!  ^:)^

In Liberty,   :F

Jim (GR)
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

scuzzy

Good thing you mentioned demo rifles with lasers. Will bring.

Orange Hats: Please see this on TIPS:

https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/strikes-and-dom.php

You don't have to memorize every single detail in order to do a good strike. The strikes just need to be told with passion, conviction, and like you really mean it. Don't obsess with details when you tell a strike. The link above gives some examples on a good strike told simply. Short and sweet.

Just make it a good story that gets people stirred up.

AF5US

I can bring two training rifles.

Regarding who's bringing what rifles:

Everyone bring ALL the rifles!!! (See attachment  ;D )

Mercedes

I'll bring my two rifles - Ruger 10/22 w/ scope and Ruger American (.22 bolt action) - and a shooting mat (new, never used AS shooting mat, to be precise!)

I also have a training rifle with a laser that I'll bring.

Deb

Mrs. Smith

Bringing 1 Training rifle/laser and mat, check.

Can still bring an AR and an AK if you want a second one of each.

BillJac

So I can't attend due to other commitments.  Would it be ok to show up for a cup of coffee and a little shmoozing?
You aren't pro 2A if you only want guns for people who look and think like you.

Don'tFix1776

Ok, so I will bring an HKMP5-22... and a single AK mag? Or bring the AK? I never meant that I was going to transport a locked and loaded AK, just that if there was no ammo in the same vehicle it would give me piece of mind. Well, no biggie, I will bring the MP5 and if ya'll still need an AK let me know here and I will bring one.

Edit: Ok, I saw Ghostring's list after I posted the above question/response -- sure, I will bring an AK, the more AKs the better.
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

scuzzy

Forgot to add - if anybody is showing up on Friday and needs to be let in the gate call me:

512-540-2682

I'm about to take off and should be there by 3:00pm

AF5US

We are also en route, expecting to arrive about the same time.