News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Re: handaling the dummy rifles

Started by AK-84, October 16, 2018, 02:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK-84

I think if we just even though this is not a real rifle it should still be treated as one because it does have the laser on it that can damage eyes. We will get the point across to the shooters and instructors as well. :sb:
Just remember this is a GLORIOUS CAUSE we do.

FiremanBob

Handling the laser dummy is a good way to demonstrate the 3 rules.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Monkey

Quote from: 450bush on October 16, 2018, 02:31:10 PM
I think if we just even though this is not a real rifle it should still be treated as one because it does have the laser on it that can damage eyes. We will get the point across to the shooters and instructors as well. :sb:

Depends on what you mean.

For example, if you mean that you should case your laser rifle, in position, at the end of each demo, I would think that's maybe a bit much.

If you mean that you treat it as a live firearm, don't sweep anybody, and follow the AS Safety Rules, I would agree with that.  FWIW, I believe that's in line with NRA Instructor Training guidelines as well.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

FourFans

I think that we came up with a very doable compromise at the Sunday debrief.. It is simply not a rifle. But to not encourage bad habits, the laser must touch NOONE. A primary advantage of a stock/laser combo is in allowing folks forward of the muzzle. I agree with allowing people in the 9 -10,, and 3 -2 o'clock positions, but no one in 11, 12, or 1.

Much like the bore-snake debate, a compromise must be met.

The laser training for all students is not new to Appleseed, it just hadn't been done in AK. 450bush brought it up from Pa and it was incorporated into Sunday morning. The results simply can not be argued with. It will be our new norm.

--FF
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

eaglescouter

My demo tool is an M1 Garand stock with a wood dowel held into it with velcro cable ties.

At the start of my first demo I hold it, 'muzzle' up, and discuss that this 'IS NOT A RIFLE, IT IS A WOOD TRAINING AID, it lacks a receiver, barrel, magazine, trigger, and is not a firearm.  Thus we can all agree that safe direction does not apply.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

VietVet

Quote from: eaglescouter on October 17, 2018, 12:03:31 AM
My demo tool is an M1 Garand stock with a wood dowel held into it with velcro cable ties.

At the start of my first demo I hold it, 'muzzle' up, and discuss that this 'IS NOT A RIFLE, IT IS A WOOD TRAINING AID, it lacks a receiver, barrel, magazine, trigger, and is not a firearm.  Thus we can all agree that safe direction does not apply.

I'd re-think that statement if I were you.

"ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION"

OK......it's not actually a "Muzzle" but practice makes perfect. I NEVER point even my "Dummy Rifle" at anyone. It's a SAFETY thing.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Cable___Guy

If you were an RSO working the range that day, and from 50 yards away you saw what looked like someone pointing an M1 at someone what would you think? What would you do ?

I use the laser demo rifle to illustrate shifting, npoa , breathing etc.  But we treat it as a rifle.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

drifter52

Every opportunity to reinforce safe firearm handling practices should be taken.

It's a demo rifle, so incorporate how to handle a rifle safely into everything else being demonstrated.

StevenK