News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Parma, ID, September 29/30, 2018 AAR

Started by Prescott, October 01, 2018, 01:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

This was the last scheduled event for Project Appleseed at the Parma Rod and Gun Club for 2018.   We had our second great season at the range, and they have been a fantastic host for our program.  I will work with the club at the October board meeting to discuss dates for events in 2019.

Thanks to everyone who came out this weekend!   We had a great weekend to reignite the Heritage of our country with some rifle marksmanship and Revolutionary war history. 

I am thankful for our new Idaho IIT, Schooner, for traveling down from N. Idaho to help out at the event.   After watching him in action this weekend, Schooner will be a great addition to the AS corp in the NW!  Huzzah!

While we did not make any new Rifleman this weekend, we did have success in improving the marksmanship skill of all who attending this event.  The participants who had previous shot a rifleman score, showed that their skills had not diminished and they put us some impressive AQT scores.   Gary shot two 236 scores with a bolt action .22 rifle.  I really wanted to present him with a Distinguished patch this weekend.

As I mentioned all weekend, dry fire practice is your friend, is very inexpensive and can be done on the comfort of your living room carpet (of course, with a cleared and safe rifle).   A cheap laser pointer will be your best aid in providing feedback to your dry fire practice.  It will help with trigger control (does the dot move when you pull the trigger), the Steady Hold Factors (how steady can I make the laser dot) and NPOA shifts.

While I honestly believe that everyone needs to perfect their marksmanship skill with iron sights, sometimes they are not the best sighting system to learn marksmanship.   There are many more techniques that need to be learned to shooting iron sights, and sometimes it is best to master them after the marksmanship fundamentals have been perfected.   The iron sight shooter at this event may want to pick to acquire a scope so they can focus on the fundamentals.   Once that has been accomplished, then go back to the iron sights and focus on learning to shoot them well.   

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again at an AS event next year! 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln