News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Central California Appleseeders - Check in here

Started by V, January 22, 2009, 01:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Welcome to all the volunteers from the first central California shoot in Sacramento.

When you register on the forum post a message here so we can all find each other easily and begin the exciting process of building a central California nexus for Applessed. We have the Fresno shoot coming up and with your help we hope to get more ranges and more events in your area.

Folks, its your Appleseed. If you want/need more events locally, then jump in here and work with your fellow Rifleman to make it happen.

Once again, Welcome and thank you for making Sacramento in January so great. Lets make Sacramento April even better!

V

BaldDragn

Balddragn reporting as ordered.

Home, SacValley.org between Sloughhouse CA 95683 and Ione CA 95640

Work, Angels Camp CA 95222

"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

freedomfighter

freedomfighter standing to be counted!

Home base in Rocklin, a stones throw from the Lincoln Rifle Club

Work/play in the greater Sacramento region

So far I have been recruiting by word of mouth, will be printing up and distributing flyers soon, hope to hit the local outdoors/gun stores and nearby ranges with info.

V

All Local Boots on the Ground

Here are fliers for Fresno and Sacramento (PDF and OpenOffice) you can duplicate to hand out at events such as gun shows, etc.

BaldDragn has the banner and he and Jules are registered to man tables at the Turlock and Stockton gun shows by Code of the West

The national flyer is here

Go get 'em folks.

Cheers
V

Jules

Jules here with update of Turlock Gun Show today. We had lots of interest at our table, and V, the banner is grand! As a female it was great to share the positive experiences I had in January at the Sac Valley shoot not only to men, but the women as well. I believe we will have one of my converts there in April. She was seriously excited, and more so when she heard I would also be there. Feminine solidarity really takes off at gun shows. There were several Scout masters who perused the info with interest. Balddragn got a lot of leads of ranges that we can follow up on. We received nothing but positive remarks from everyone. Seeds were planted today. Thanks for the priviledge.

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

V

In his usual low-key way our state coordinator, Bob 210, has in this thread quietly lit the fuse on Central California.

You guys asked for it and he has, courtesy of Folsom Shooting Club and Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, given it to you. You do remember your mother warning you about that right?

From April 18/19 2009 you now have a regular bi-monthly Appleseed at Sac Valley!

Well you might... because we aren't driving 400 miles each way every other month to lay it on for you. The volunteers who have already stepped up, and future volunteers that they in turn can drum up at the April 18./19 shoot, gun shows, etc., will have to supply the instructor force to make this happen!

We will certainly do everything we can to get you started, we will be there on April 18/19, but we have to be met by volunteers who are local. There is an Instructor Boot Camp scheduled for Piru, there is a shoot in Fresno and after April there is a Rifleman's Boot Camp again in Piru. Now before you all complain about the distance, someone's gotta give initially, if you can organize a date and place in Central California we can schedule an IBC for you there as well.

So we are not threatening to drop you all in at the deep end on April 18/19 (though that has historically been the Appleseed way for some of the old hands!) but we do need people to organize locally so we can work out a handover to an autonomous Central California crew...

Who can then carry the seeds further North...

This is great News Central California. We look forward to working with you all.

Thank you Bob, thank you Sac Valley and thank you to all those who are already stepping up.

Cheers
V

V

For those of you who wonder if an RBC is worth it may I commend this blog entry by our good friend Junior Birdman.

If you can't make the RBC try to make the IBC and if you can't make the one laid on, make one of your own!

Get the people together, find somewhere to hold it (there doesn't have to be any shooting at an IBC so anyone's back yard is fine!) and we'll come and teach you what you need to know to take the fight to your neck of the woods.

If not now, when? If not me, who?

Camljr

The Gauntlet has officially been dropped NorCal...  ;D

Who's going to step up and run with it?  ???

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

BaldDragn

Quote from: Camljr on February 09, 2009, 11:17:02 PM

The Gauntlet has officially been dropped NorCal...  ;D

Who's going to step up and run with it?  ???

I'm one!

Since the first Sacramento Appleseed, I was at full throttle trying to get ready for the Turlock gun show (and suffering from a bit of unnecessary stage fright about it). I wasn't going to volunteer for more unless I was sure I could finish what I started, so I was more than a bit uncertain about attending an IBC. I think future gun shows will take much less energy so I'm ready to do more. I see no reason for me not to get training first and qualify for IIT later provided that's acceptable.

The So Cal guy's and gals have traveled for us in Nor Cal. We shouldn't hesitate to travel for ourselves!

And if you can't do it for yourself... look at your kids... think about it again.

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

V

Quote from: BaldDragn on February 11, 2009, 12:26:10 AM
I see no reason for me not to get training first and qualify for IIT later provided that's acceptable.
It certainly is acceptable which is why I asked your score. IBC's are open to Riflemen or those close to getting there who have attended at least one Appleseed. You and Jules would do fine at an IBC.

If you could do another AS event to get the Rifleman between attending the IBC and the AS you intend to teach at under the orange hat that would be good as there's not much time at an IBC to actually do any shooting and get you to your Rifleman unless your zeroed in and ready to shoot a quick AQT during lunch... ;)

Looking forward to working with you and Jules and the other NorCal IIT's

Cheers
Phil

Camljr

And if you can't do it for yourself... look at your kids... think about it again.

Brilliant insight, BaldDragon!

Any enthusiasm generated up there will multiply exponentially (is that spelled right?)  $$-0

Heck, it is catching on down here watching you go forward with a passion...

I humbly bow to your unencumbered enthusiasm!!   @@)
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

V

I wasn't going to volunteer for more unless I was sure I could finish what I started, so I was more than a bit uncertain about attending an IBC.

BD hits upon something which affected me to begin with, "Don't volunteer I might not be able to finish it, I'll just screw it up for someone else."

A quote used by my mentor Bob 210 at his ASes in Piru cured me of that...

"I believe most men have more courage than they know of, and that a little at first is enough to begin with. I knew the time when I thought that the whistling of a canon ball would have frightened me almost to death; but I have since tried it, and find that I can stand it"  - Thomas Paine

Quote from: BaldDragn
I think future gun shows will take much less energy so I'm ready to do more.

Wise old bird that Paine guy  <:)

Folks, don't think that you can't make a difference or do enough to help. Don't look at other people doing things and say "I couldn't do that as well so I'll let someone else do it", or "There's probably someone else out there that can do it better than me."

This isn't high school, no one wants to see any one fail at anything around here.

If you step in and start doing something more willing hands will appear from nowhere to help you. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. Actually doing things and trusting in the goodwill of your community to step in and help is part of the forgotten heritage of real Americans which seems to have been indoctrinated out of us and which Appleseed helps us to rediscover.

Cheers
Phil

JohnCBobcat

I'm one!

Since the first Sacramento Appleseed, I was at full throttle trying to get ready for the Turlock gun show (and suffering from a bit of unnecessary stage fright about it).

I don't know why, you were doing pretty darn well, as far as I could tell.
2nd Squad, 1st Plt., E Co., 2/39 INF, 9th ID (reenacted), California Historical Group

AAAO!

BaldDragn

Quote from: JohnCBobcat on February 13, 2009, 07:19:12 AM

I'm one!

Since the first Sacramento Appleseed, I was at full throttle trying to get ready for the Turlock gun show (and suffering from a bit of unnecessary stage fright about it).

I don't know why, you were doing pretty darn well, as far as I could tell.

Thanks. It turned out the prep work was 90%. Training for previous jobs kicked in once the public arrived.

Along those lines, I highly recommend that anybody doing gun shows, or other public speaking, fall back to the old standard and read "How to Make Friends and Influence People". It's old, so you can pick it up cheap, but it still works.

SAPPER STEEL!

eaglescouter

New guy reporting in for the 2 day Sacramento event.  Will be bringing the better half who completed the registration form for both of us.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Dead Aye

New Guy..Central Valley,,reporting after Fresno shoot...finally figured out how to log on,,,,with Mr. Bill's help., Looking forward to my first IBC.

P51

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan 40th President.

Hambone

Hey Folks,
  Sklar here. In from the Lodi/Stockton Region.

First Appleseedlast weekend, definately not the last.
Angels on the sideline,
puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden
has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.
Silly monkeys,
where there's one you're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason
and this is what they choose?

Romeo's Hero

Checking in for the Valley.

Just went to my first shoot as an IIT. If you thought that your first appleseed was amazing, you have no idea how much more amazing it is to teach at one. Helping someone get rifleman is sometimes better than your own rifleman score.

Juliette "Romeo's Hero"
Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

BaldDragn

Quote from: Romeo's Hero on April 24, 2009, 02:03:11 AM
Helping someone get rifleman is sometimes better than your own rifleman score.
Juliette "Romeo's Hero"

Reading your post had me slow down, quit kicking myself for being so thick headed at my first Appleseed, and realize just how lucky I was to get my score and help someone get their score in one weekend. The best part was definitely getting the PM from a new rifleman and IIT, letting me know I've made a difference.

This is good, real good, and we're just getting started.

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

Balddragn & I met up with Double D at the Fresno Gun show this morning. Although we had no table available, we were able to talk to a lot of folks! I of course headed to the women who looked to me like prospects. I did talk to a few that were enthusiastic. One lady who lives in Tulare is thinking seriously about the Fresno shoot on the 30-31st of May. I had a great time; it is always good to talk to new people, and advantageous that I am not a bit shy. I told Double D, the worst that can happen is you never see these folks again. I learned by having ONE of the fellas I talked to at the Sacramento Tea Party is: he came to the Sac shoot! If we get just one person to respond, it starts a fire. Really. Even though I didn't shoot Rifleman that weekend(and slowly melted) it was a success for me to have reached one person who came.

Big thanks to Double D for working with us today. We will get the Central Valley covered, just watch us! ;)

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Double D

Double D checking in

Big thanks to Bald Dragon and Jules for the help with the Fresno Gun show.  I was definitely timid at approaching folks, but by the end of the day it was game on.  BD and Jules also helped secure a small place for us at future gun shows in Paso Robles, Bakersfield, and Fresno, courtesy of Mary from Fresno Firearms.  She is gracious enough to give us a small spot for free.  I set up a computer and monitor and had a slide show of the recent shoots going while I walked around and talked to people on Sunday.

I'll be coordinating with the local guys to see who can go to the next gun show.  Moose from Bakersfield said that he could make future gun shows there.  I'll be heading out to Paso Robles next month if anyone is interested in going with me.  Be forewarned, I don't have much in the line of paraphernalia, just a monitor, a computer, and a smile on my face.  ;D
"We are dedicated to this cause, but those that came before us were committed to the cause of liberty. We seem to be nearly unbelievable in today's world, but we hardly measure up to men like Issac Davis."  BaldDragn

BaldDragn

Here's the trick!!!

Each of us gets kicked out of the (gun show) nest with little training on what we are doing. Each of us had to put some thought into how we are going to promote this worthy cause. That means for now all of our displays are going to be quite different and even those thay have been doing this for a while will have much to learn from the new guy on the block. As long as we have a solid concept of what Appleseed is and is not I don't see how we can fail.

Showing up and doing the footwork is 95% of the job here.

In the future we will all have a chance to work show that overlap our areas and learn the new tricks that have been developed by the people in each are, heck we may even have things that we can give back to SoCal for all they've done for us.

SAPPER STEEL!

postal16

Postal16 checking in

Live and work in Amador County (residence Pine Grove 95665 work Jackson 95642)

Shoot at and member of the True Sportsman Club near Ione, the Folsom Gun Club and Northern California Practical Precision Rifle Club (both at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center).

Also active committee member of the Amador County Friends of the NRA

I like to shoot in CMP Garand and NRA across the course matches

I look forward to getting to know you all more!
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

M1shooter

M1 checking in. Stockton is my stomping ground, but not afraid to travel.
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson
Aim small, Miss small

Romeo's Hero

Apparently Central CA gets a special board.

Hope to see everyone out at the Fresno AS Aug 29-30 - spread the word there are still only a few people signed up.

Juliette
Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

TrueGrit

I've sent a couple of messages from my inbox but it appears as though they didn't go through.

I'll ask ya'll if you can perhaps direct me, I would presume some of the information I seek is already in posts, I can not find them. The forum is a huge place to me and I'm trying to get familiar.

1) I need to find the location of the Lemore shoot in September, the forum thread. Is there a discussion going on?

2) I need help and instruction for successfully navigating odcmp. Is there a thread that takes me by my little hand and walks me through it here? 'Mongo just pawn in game of life', or so it seems for me at this juncture.

3) I ordered a rear peep sight for one of my 10/22's. My daughter liked shooting this style graciously loaned to us at the Fresno shoot. This style when purchased comes with a front sight.
Is this sight different, is it taller or shorter? Or is it just a better front sight, shape, bead, thinner profile et cetera.
My bottom line question is does that sight need to be changed out for the sights to line-up correctly?
I question it NOT being necessary since it comes with the rear sight, forgive my 'quick and dirty attempts' if this one is a Duh, Der or No-Brainer. If it wasn't why would they send them as a pair.

...I'd like to get some input before I fire up the torch and breakout the brass punches and mallet...

Thanks in Advance,

Russel
Esse Quam Videri~Latin for Better to be than to Appear

V

Quote from: TrueGrit on September 08, 2009, 01:39:41 PM
I've sent a couple of messages from my inbox but it appears as though they didn't go through.

I'll ask ya'll if you can perhaps direct me, I would presume some of the information I seek is already in posts, I can not find them. The forum is a huge place to me and I'm trying to get familiar.
You are not alone in that feeling. For some it never goes away. For others it does. I'm not sure which is more worrying  ;)

1) I need to find the location of the Lemore shoot in September, the forum thread. Is there a discussion going on?
The information "Event Information Package" (EIP) for Lemore is here
The other way of finding them is from the web page schedule here. Click on "information" link by each shoot and it takes you to the same EIP pages above.

At the top of the page you can see the path of boards leading up to it. Go up by clicking on the links in that path to find all the other shoot EIP's.

2) I need help and instruction for successfully navigating odcmp. Is there a thread that takes me by my little hand and walks me through it here? 'Mongo just pawn in game of life', or so it seems for me at this juncture.

3) I ordered a rear peep sight for one of my 10/22's. My daughter liked shooting this style graciously loaned to us at the Fresno shoot. This style when purchased comes with a front sight.
Is this sight different, is it taller or shorter? Or is it just a better front sight, shape, bead, thinner profile et cetera.
yes, taller, yes, yes,  no, yes.    :D
My bottom line question is does that sight need to be changed out for the sights to line-up correctly?
yes.
I question it NOT being necessary since it comes with the rear sight, forgive my 'quick and dirty attempts' if this one is a Duh, Der or No-Brainer. If it wasn't why would they send them as a pair.

...I'd like to get some input before I fire up the torch and breakout the brass punches and mallet...
We are talking a Ruger 10/22 here right?
All that should be necessary is the punch and mallet and the barrel being well supported, you shouldn't need a torch!

the techsights fit and form is a subject of eternal debate for some people they slide through and drop out, for others they need a bit of filing before they'll drift, etc. The main holding power comes from the little screw to tighten down plus (cue eternal debate II) some color of loctite. The sight will raise up in the slot and look ugly as you screw it down. If it falls out after use, tighten it more, use different color loctite, drill a little dimple for the screw to fit in (eternal debate III starts here). My sights have no loctite, were drifted in and screwed tight and have not loosened or moved with both LTRs having done many AS/Rfilemen. YMMV.

The techsights are aluminium not some heavy duty cast things so treat them with some care. No one is claiming they are battlesights turning a ruger 10/22 into something it is not. It is a cheap and cheerful way to get a battlesight functionality/looknfeel for practice on the cheap. The ruger receiver is aluminium so don't go mad on screwing down the rear sight either (eternal debate IV on loctite in the receiver starts here)

Cheers
V

PS the eternal debate is the LTR thread which I'm not going to provide a pointer for... "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here" would be a better title for the thread.  @)

Thanks in Advance,

Russel

TrueGrit

First of all thanks for the speedy reply.

It seems I got my answers in spades as well.

I'm big on physics and like the idea of extending the distance between the front and rear sights. I'm also a proof's in the pudding guy and noticed my daughter took to this 'style' of sight picture. Since mileages may vary in many things the bottom line is she likes it.

I've lathered my fair share of housings and assemblies with loctite and a pork barrel ration on the threads as it oozes up and out of the bolt. Just like the screen door in the summer and my dad, decades ago, I just can't listen. I'm a fan of loctite, of course I'm a subconscious fan of shaking, quick movements and rough treatment of equipment. Kind of like the way bull riders feel about IcyHot. I see it as cheap insurance even IF my semantics for the word 'sparingly' entails squeezing that little red tube for a long time.

Funny response to my 10/22 questions btw.
Esse Quam Videri~Latin for Better to be than to Appear

Marpat Whittemore

Marpat Whittemore checking in.  I am in Santa Barbara and 1/2 of the Marpat team
More Cowbell