News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Philadelphia, OH KD July 7-8, 2018

Started by EZ3, July 09, 2018, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

What an awesome weekend for an Appleseed!  The weather was gorgeous, the club is awesome, and the shooters and instructors showed that they knew very well what they are about!

Thanks to the Tusco Rifle Range for providing their 600-yard range, camping facilities, and Saturday lunch for our participants and staff.  This great venue drew shooters from not only OH and PA, but also as far away as Wyoming and Washington DC!  The most we had to fear from the weather was sunburn, or possibly heat exhaustion due to the many treks up and down the range over the two days.

We opened at the clubhouse with a review of the highlights of DonD's 4th Edition Full Distance Clinic, then moved to the range for the safety briefing, then verification of zeros and dope collection at all four distances.  This brought us to lunch, and since Tusco had a fund-raiser barbecue going on, we were fed even better than usual.  Full stomachs didn't appear to have a negative effect on marksmanship.  Three AQTs were completed in the afternoon, with Calvin maintaining his usual high standard with scores of 35/40, 32/40 and 34/40, and TomMPR earning his rocker with a 34.  Several other shooters were on the threshold.

We began Sunday by verifying zeros at 100 yards, then scoring and pasting targets on each stage to give the shooters more feedback.  Then we ground out some AQTs, breaking frequently for hydration, shade and history vignettes.   In the five AQTs we shot Sunday, Calvin scored 36, 32 and 35; Paul earned his rocker AND his Rifleman patch with a 33 and 32; Rick shot a 32 and a 34; Jeff matched the high score for the weekend with a 36; and Mike, who had been bickering with his rifle all weekend, persisted to score 33 on the final AQT.  Huzzah!

For those who could not attend; sometimes life isn't fair, BUT there is another KD scheduled here in November.  See you then!

Pics to follow ASAP.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Corvette

I would like to echo EZ3's comments.  It was a great event.  All the shooters were motivated and working hard both days.  Tusco Rifle Range is a great venue for a shoot and great supporters of the program.  I was lucky enough to have EZ3 and a great group of instructors working the event so I could just shoot it. It became clear early in the weekend that I have to work on my own skills.  While I was not able to shoot a qualifying score, it was great to be with so many shooters that could. It was a great event and I look forward to trying again in November.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

TomMPR

What a great KD weekend in New Philidelphia OH. Everyone did a good job of keeping saftey in mind. The history presentations by Aragorn and Corvette were very detailed and keep you wanting to hear more. Tusco rifle club is a really nice range and saturday's chicken barbeque lunch was pretty tasty. We had some first time qualifications and some requals. My biggest takeaway from the weekend is that confirmed dope on YOUR rifle/load combination is priceless, it's not something that can be bought, it has to be shot. A great job was done by all the instructors to keep everybody on point, while still making sure everybody stayed hydrated and safe. If you ever thought about attending a KD, it is definitely worth the time

LogCabinShooter

I'm sorry I had to back out last minute. I couldn't help but think about I was missing. What a perfect weekend for such an event. I'm confident I'll be there in November. Congrats to all.

Crazyduckhunter

Another awesome event at a great venue. Many thanks to those at Tusco that opens their facility to the AppleSeed program. Congrats to all those great scores at a KD. Hopefully in November I will be able to obtain scores like the ones I saw this weekend.

EZ3

What a gorgeous day!

EZ3

Saturday's KD Riflemen

EZ3

and those from Sunday

PA10mm

I can't say enough good things about the weekend - it was a phenomenal event!

Even though I missed qualifying, I came within 2 points several times and have motivation to work on my skills.

Thanks to all the instructors, fellow students, and Tusco for another weekend of great KD memories.
Became a Rifleman on April 20, 2014.

sleepy

Great shoot! Many thanks to EZ3 and his merry band of instructors for their time and hard work. Despite the heat, they kept the KDs going so shooters could qualify.

Also, thanks to my fellow shooters for their conversation, humor, tolerance, and perseverance in the heat. Thanks to Tusco for hosting; a wonderful facility with some great members.