News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru CA Appleseed February 21 - 22 2009

Started by MrBill, January 20, 2009, 03:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBill

California,

Another chance to attend an Appleseed right here in California at Appleseed's permanent RWVA range in Piru California (aka Mt Appleseed).

Don't miss this opportunity to test your skills against the AQT (army qualification target) and learn what it takes to move from being an American rifle owner to becoming an American Rifleman!

Bring your friends, your family, your coworkers and immerse yourself in the heritage that is Rifle Marksmanship in America!!!! 

Ladies shoot FREE, under 21's shoot FREE, active military and guard shoot FREE in 2009! 

Hone those shooting skills, make new friends, and get back in touch with our Rifleman Heritage.

Bring any rifle you've got as long as its legal.  Centrefire, rimfire, iron sights, scopes, we don't care.         

If you don't have a rifle or are bringing friends who don't have one, let us know in the comments on the sign-up so we can try to arrange loaners. 

Remember.....it costs $45 for one day and $70 for two days if you pre-reg as opposed to $50 for one day and $80 for two days if you don't pre-reg. There's a $10 per day per shooter range fee and you need to bring 400 to 500 rounds for your rifle.

Appleseed qualifies as a marksmanship activity under the Civilian Marksmenship Program.

Register: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/208502637  

Range:  Wes Thompson's Piru Rifle Range

Address:  6700 Hosler Canyon, Piru, CA

When:  February 21-22 2009

Range Fee:  $10/day including women and children,  Free for  Active Military

Camping:  Space at range for 20 spots....no formal "camping area", no hook-ups.....nearest campground is Lake Piru Recreation Area (3 miles away).

Directions:  Interstate 5 North or South to Hwy 126 West and travel about 10.4 miles to Center St.(Lake Piru Rec.Area sign)and turn right. Travel 0.2 miles to Orchard St.(stop sign)and turn right. Travel 0.1 miles to Main St.(stop sign)and turn right towards Lake Piru. This road becomes Piru Cyn Road. Travel 2.5 miles until you see white "Wes Thompson's Piru Rifle Range" sign on right side (Hosler Canyon road)and turn right onto dirt road and travel 1.4 miles. As you cross a stream bed, go thru a gate and vear left at the fork in road, you will see the office trailer on the left.Travel another 1.1 miles up dirt road to the Appleseed Event on the left side.
PLEASE OBEY THE POSTED 15 MPH SIGNS ON THE RANGE!! There are cattle free ranging along the road.

Hotels:  15 miles to Castaic,(Courtyard by Marriot, Embassy Suites) or 20 miles to Valencia (Best Western, Holiday Express)

State Laws to be aware of:  http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/
*No detachable box magazines may be brought into state with capacity exceeding ten rounds.  Unless you owned them prior to Jan1, 2000; then it's OK. All Tubular-magazine 22s are OK.

*"Assault weapons" ban- If you're registered with CA DOJ already, you're fine and can shoot your AK, AR15, G3 etc. with no problem.  Might want to Xerox the DOJ document and keep it in the rifle case.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" to the range.  Similarly, unregistered 50 BMG is not legal.

Out of state shooters, don't bring military-pattern semiautomatics as they're almost sure to fall under the "assault weapon" ban.  M1 Garand and most 10-shot fixed-magazine SKS.are OK, however.  There is one SKS exception: Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit.  (Having said all that about "assault rifles", there is provision in state law for out-of-state shooters to bring "assault rifles" to CA shooting events; anybody wants to try that out might want to read the statute for themselves and consult a lawyer-welcome to California.)

Transporting firearms:  Transport rifles and pistols unloaded.  Pistols and "assault rifles" go in padlocked containers.  Car trunk is considered a locked container, but glove compartment, even if it locks, is not OK.  (I go the extra mile and padlock everything: firearms in one padlocked container, ammunition in another padlocked container.  More than law requires, though.)

Ammunition:  No tracer ammo.  Ammo that attracts a magnet is prohibited at this range

Who to contact for more information:  MrBill

What to Bring:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4031.0

Remember to bring lunch, snacks and your favorite non-alcoholic beverage.  No food services are available at the range.

See you in Piru!

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

bob 210

It's time to get the word out folks! Who is coming to the next Piru Appleseed and how many people are you bringing with you? Make sure to pre-reg.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

SamD

Got to shake the trees out there folks.
the clock is ticking down and EventBrite is not shining  :'(

Who is the BOTG for this shoot?
What advertising has been done so far?
We need some serious effort here.
Appleseed's permanent range and we have exactly 1 shooter signed up.

I know that I have a flock of cowards hiding out here in NM, afraid to let anyone see that they own a rifle, but it looks like California may be ahead of us on this.  How many umptyleven million you got out there and can't get another 49 shooters to justify the range time?
Texas gonna whip up on yas &) and I'm gonna laugh **)

Camljr

Got a call from my best bud tonight saying he is out buying a ruger 10/22 and getting it set up specifically for the Piru 1/21-22 shoot. I told him to pre reg, he said he would after the 15th when he gets his next paycheck.

Bill S. was at the Sept. appleseed there with his daughter Sarah, and was knocking on the door to rifleman. We will go to our club range and zero his rifle for him when he gets it.   :~

He will make rifleman, I will drill him on AQT's after the sight in.  He will not even see it coming... >:D

He is also seventh stepping, so who knows how many others will show... @@)
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

SamD

Good going Camljr,
Just keep on it slow and steady.
Drag you friends,troll the ranges.

I'd hate to think you were with them Santa Barbara folks out watching whales.

Camljr

SamD,

Not much into watching whales,  #)

takes away from my range time... :~
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

LayloPro

Heh!!
I'll throw in an indiscriminate Santa Barbara range hijack on this thread (MrBill won't mind!!) >:D

When at the SB range, if you turn around from the firing line, and look down towards the ocean, you can probably see the whales anyway, headed around the islands....not a bad sight when prepping mags...... :))

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

SamD

That came about because when I was researching sporting goods stores in the SB yellow pages, All I could find was paintball and whale watching, which in my not at all humble opinion are only surpassed in foolishness by football/basketball/baseball, the "dent" causing games, that adults who want to save their nation do NOT waste valuable range time on.

This year like every year, I waited till "after "Superbowl Monday" to sort and purge my list of known persons. If they mention Superbowl today or have knowledge of who won the game, they go in the list of non effective acquaintances.  If they don't they are probably going to be friends.
A fast ready made means to screen the serious folks. 

LayloPro

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

MrBill

SamD

I'm SBIT on this, and Bob 210 posted on many of the gun forums, and V put out flyers in the Simi/Ventura/Oxnard gun stores.  I'll hit the San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita, and Palmdale/ Lancaster stores on Wednesday.

I can't get edgewise on a computer now as my wife has law school finals on Friday so she is occupying our computer 18/7.  As I can, I will follow up on the other forums that Bob posted on.

Do you have any promotional advice??  It just won't do having Texas bail more water in February than California!

Yesterday I was out grocery shopping and couldn't fi gure out why the stores were so empty.  The checkout girl at Sam's Club asked me why I was out shopping.  I didn't even know it was Super Bowl Sunday.   Oh well, I don't have anything except a dvd player hooked to the TV.  Cable is for internet connection only.

Cheers

Bill

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi

SamD

Just get teh flyers out far and wide.

One of my favorite tactics is to print up some of the 50 ft reduced targets and leave stacks of them on teh counter at the local range, gun shops.

Sam

SavageShootr

Johnnyappleseed is doing what he can at Angeles Public Range. We met a fellow on Thursday and when JA saw him again on Saturday he had registered for the Appleseed the weekend of Feb. 21-22.

We will continue to pass out flyers at the range.

Turners in Norwalk is well supplied with flyers and SWAT reprints.

I met the owner of the Gun Store in Fillmore at the January Gun Show in Ventura. I left her with lots of SWAT reprints with the flyers in them also. I will be stopping in there soon too.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

bob 210

I have contacted the Ventura Star and the Santa Clarita Signal and sent them Appleseed articles with pictures. They will be in a paper soon. If anyone gets either one of these papers, keep an eye out for this article and post here. The Simi Valley gun shops are stocked with fliers and so is the Turner's in Northridge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

SamD

The effort is already paying off for you.
You have 5 times what you did last week and next thing you know it'll be a sold out shoot. O0

SB on the other hand is not moving??????? &)

LayloPro

Whale watchers pedaling along on a bike path in the paint ball course....... #)

Camljr

Quote from: Laylopro on February 05, 2009, 04:26:54 AM
Whale watchers pedaling along on a bike path in the paint ball course....... #)

Sometimes I wonder about you.... #)
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

Quote from: bob 210 on February 03, 2009, 07:08:15 PM
I have contacted the Ventura Star and the Santa Clarita Signal and sent them Appleseed articles with pictures. They will be in a paper soon. If anyone gets either one of these papers, keep an eye out for this article and post here. The Simi Valley gun shops are stocked with fliers and so is the Turner's in Northridge.

Any idea when the articles will come out? let me know so I can look for it!
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

Pappy

Hello Group; I am almost surprised that the new GOV energy dept has not thought of taxing the whales for all the oil that they are hoarding %) #) <:). Yes I know, see Ya, Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

LayloPro

Hey Pappy,

out here, the "environmentalists" have determined (since they seem to know more of what works best for the critters) that the whales need protection, from all those cruise ships running around, doing whale watching......
Something about too many paint ballers taking pot shots at them or something..... ++) **)

So now they are "protected", kind of like the cattle in India, where people starve for lack of a meal, while a walking McD's burger is strolling thru their hut.......
Go figure..... **) @@) $$-0

TTYS, & stay warm out there........I heard it was cold out camping a few weekends ago...... @) <:) O0

LLP

SamD

Up to 16 already.
You make 30 by trigger time right?

Sam