News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who is up for a mini Appleseed?

Started by glocker21, January 20, 2009, 10:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glocker21

Good morning ladies and gents!

I want to put out feelers for who is up for a mini Appleseed? All I need is a location, and number of people and we can get it going.

Glocker21
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

Wow...Iam utterly stunned by the silence

I am targetting the First Sunday in February...OK, Now, will that be enough to get the ball rolling?
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

money."
Charley Reese

MTGlass

What does a mini Appleseed consist of?  Who are the instructors?  Fees?  Format?

Right now the warmest time of day (if the sun is out) at High Ore is from 11:00-3:00.
Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

glocker21

Quote from: MTGlass on January 22, 2009, 12:36:58 PM
What does a mini Appleseed consist of?  Who are the instructors?  Fees?  Format?

Right now the warmest time of day (if the sun is out) at High Ore is from 11:00-3:00.

Essentially a Mini Appleseed is a get together for shooting, fellowship, etc. Typically there are no fees. My plan is for us to have some AQT practice, Shoot 1" squares, shake off the rust, become better Riflemen. If there is someone who is new to shooting or to the Appleseed Project they are more than welcome to attend as well. As for Instructors, the instruction is informal, it is an opportunity to share some marksmanship skills and talk about the program.  Perhaps some history, if there is someone who can do it.

I think High Ore would be great. How does the first Sunday in February sound to you?

I hope I have answered your questions, If you have any others questions feel free to ask.

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

Blame me for the date Jerry, but that's superbowl sunday. Just figured it out late last night.

glocker21

Quote from: clodhopper on January 22, 2009, 09:43:32 PM
Blame me for the date Jerry, but that's superbowl sunday. Just figured it out late last night.

It is OK..the Patriots and the Broncos are not playing....sooooooo...lets go shooting.

Seriously, if anyone has a problem with this date let me know and we can reschedule.

money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

Glocker,

Been busy attending committee hearings at the legislature.  Waiting on my bill to be introduced, its in review at this point.

Depending on the date I can help instruct at a mini.

I have some coworkers coming over this weekend for a shoot, trying to get them interested enough to go to an AS.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

glocker21

There is a impromtu shoot coming together this Sunday in Three Forks at the Sam Whittemore memorial range. If you are interested PM me or Email me tomorrow.

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

Well you could call it a micro mini.
We arrived at Samual Whittmore range shortly after 10:00 AM. THE AIR WAS FRESH, very fresh. Shootimus had a new scope. Glocker wanted to see if his rifle would function. I shot some cast bullet loads in the M1. I have been doing some experimenting in that area.
Pretty decent group this time. Considering hand racking the bolt and snuggling back into position each shot. The 35 grains of 4895 functioned the action just fine in the heat of last summer, was just a little to light for the conditions today. Its going to be a balancing act to find a powder charge that will reliably operate the bolt and not launch a lead bullet so fast it strips the rifleing.
Better to shoot than vegitate

glocker21

To expound upon what Clodhopper has said, we had a blast. It was a wonderful crisp morning and the air was fresh and the temperature was a balmy -3 degrees. My new to me Polytech M1a performed very well (I had modified the ejection angle) and placed the spent casing in a nice pile at the 2 o'clock position which made me very pleased.

Montanans are a hearty bunch, we shoot in all kinds of weather, and as cold and windy as it was, it made me think that those warriors during the Revolutionary War had rags for warmth. I really had no reason to bitch and complain.

Enjoy the pictures

money."
Charley Reese

montana shooter

cool!......seriously.....hey mtmisfit......who you lobbying for?......I'm up here representing the firefighters all session.  glocker....give me a call, we'll have coffee or somethin'.

580-6520

thanks
kb
The American Creed:  "Conservative in fundamental prinicples.....but the principles conserved are liberal, and some, indeed, are radical!"  Gunnar Myrdal

Never surrender freedom for laws that can't affect criminals;  they disobey laws for a living!

glocker21

Kurt,

I will give you a call tomorrow a.m.
Jerry

money."
Charley Reese

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

glocker21

Thanks fine sir..it is nice to be recognized...at not have people run screaming **)

money."
Charley Reese

Old Glory!

Good work Riflemen!  This winter Appleseed thing is really catching on.  A couple of minis and a full blown AS coming up in VT.  Mass.

Both Montana and WI had micromini Appleseeds this past weekend!   You braved the frigid chill.  MERCY!  Did you have a place to "warm-up"?

Here in WI we plowed snow (great Appleseed warm-up exercises ;)) and then shot 3 redcoats, a couple of pages of 1 inch squares, and 4 QD AQT's, with breaks for CHILI in between.  (Great winter appleseed food. :D)  We had sunshine and no wind.

Total time spent inside and out including plowing/shoveling/shooting, and writing our 1 minute postcards letting our Senators and Representative know we oppose FOCA, the Freedom of Choice Act, was only about 5 hours. 

WI looks like a veritable heat wave compared to MT.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5179.msg51717#msg51717

Quote from: glocker21 on January 27, 2009, 02:15:33 PM
Thanks fine sir..it is nice to be recognized...at not have people run screaming **)

"people run screaming".......at LEAST you woke them up. :D

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Nickle

That full blown one coming up is in Mass, not VT. Them boys down there have really caught the bug our forefathers in that area had back in the day.  @)

And, they LOVE to shoot. Have to, to get 20 plus of them out in early February to brav ethe cold, and learn how to shoot well.  O0

Me, I'm just mad and jealous. I've got to work that weekend.  !@#)
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

mtmisfit

Quote from: MT Shooter on January 26, 2009, 09:16:19 PM
cool!......seriously.....hey mtmisfit......who you lobbying for?......I'm up here representing the firefighters all session.  glocker....give me a call, we'll have coffee or somethin'.

580-6520

thanks
kb

I had a bill introduced at my request, HB427 so I've been supporting it and the bills MSSA has in the works. Tomorrow afternoon the Wolf bill (SB183) has a hearing in the Senate Fish & Game committee.

Representing firefighters?  you must know Bob Drake then? He's my chief.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

montana shooter

Glocker.....mtmisfit........do either of you know of a place to shoot around here?  Can't find anything in the phone book, and my new M1A is trying to scratch it's way out of it's case. 
The American Creed:  "Conservative in fundamental prinicples.....but the principles conserved are liberal, and some, indeed, are radical!"  Gunnar Myrdal

Never surrender freedom for laws that can't affect criminals;  they disobey laws for a living!

glocker21

Quote from: MT Shooter on February 20, 2009, 09:36:14 AM
Glocker.....mtmisfit........do either of you know of a place to shoot around here?  Can't find anything in the phone book, and my new M1A is trying to scratch it's way out of it's case. 

High Ore just south of Boulder (club), Prickley Pear Sportsman's range on McDonald Pass (club) or Helena National Forest

What are your lunch plans today? I am trying to get the Helena People together for lunch

money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

Quote from: MT Shooter on February 20, 2009, 09:36:14 AM

Yes, right out my back door.  I'm about 10 miles out of Helena on Canyon Ferry Road.

Can show you our little gong range and set you up with a spot to zero it as well.

Lunch today and we can all talk about it?

montana shooter

sorry, couldn't get back to you fellas sooner......had to get things taken care of back home this weekend.....honey do's et al...... back in Helena this week for at least part of the fracas, then back home after transmittal to ride the "Big Red Truck" for a couple of days.  might not get to shoot 'til the following week...... thanks tho' for the info..... if a guy was to become a member of either of the aforementioned ranges, which would you recommend?

montana shooter

oh, and mtmisfit, not too familiar with the canyon ferry area, but are the neighbs' ok with this?......I have friends who want to shoot too, and don't wan't to wear out any welcome mats.

glocker21

Quote from: MT Shooter on February 22, 2009, 06:46:34 PM
sorry, couldn't get back to you fellas sooner......had to get things taken care of back home this weekend.....honey do's et al...... back in Helena this week for at least part of the fracas, then back home after transmittal to ride the "Big Red Truck" for a couple of days.  might not get to shoot 'til the following week...... thanks tho' for the info..... if a guy was to become a member of either of the aforementioned ranges, which would you recommend?

if you want to join both high ore and  prickley pear then go to the hunting department at sportsmans warehouse in helena, we have membership stuff there

money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

Quote from: MT Shooter on February 22, 2009, 06:50:43 PM
oh, and mtmisfit, not too familiar with the canyon ferry area, but are the neighbs' ok with this?......I have friends who want to shoot too, and don't wan't to wear out any welcome mats.

I'm just a couple miles east of East Helena. I have a backstop and 100yd range, my neighbor has the same. If we shoot from his place up to mine we can get 300yds. We also have a gong range set up across the road, a few old steel SCBA bottles are our gongs. You can shoot out to 650yds there.

Neighbors are fine as long as it's during reasonable hours. The only complaints I get are when we have the subguns out....and don't invite them!  :~

Was shooting the .54 smokepole today, have to get that shooting in before fire season starts.

mtmisfit

Quote from: MT Shooter on February 22, 2009, 06:46:34 PM

Last Chance Handgunners (High Ore) would be my first choice.

montana shooter

Damn computers.....just finished half of my reply and it went buh-bye on me.  Anyway.....thanks for the info.  Talked to "The Guy" today......got me all excited about the May target bustin' and comraderie.   Left a message with "Shootimus"...........as it turns out, my buddy with the local gravel company was laid off after more than 25 years with the company, so's he can't help with the Samuel Wittemore Range improvements.  "Shootimus" has a family gravel pit nearby, so if we can drum up a backhoe and a dump truck we still might be able to make some improvements to the range.  If not......we'll just bang away anyway.

The new M1A is like butter.

kb