News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Macon, Ga 9-10 June 2018

Started by brianf31, June 11, 2018, 07:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA hosted a two-day Appleseed clinic on 9-10 June 2018. Seven stalwart shooters came out to hear some American history and learn traditional rifle marksmanship on a warm summer day.

After introduction and a safety brief, students shot their first redcoat to gage skill level. We rolled right into instruction, teaching steady hold factors, six steps of the shot and natural point of aim, each lesson put into immediate practice with a drill following. It wasn't long before the majority of hits landed inside the 1" black target squares as shot groups decreased in size.

Throughout the day, shooters heard the true story of April 19th, 1775 through the telling of the Three Strikes of The Match. The history of Paul Revere's ride, Lexington and Concord was told to share the fact that we are all inheritors and stewards of liberty and freedom that was paid for in blood.

Lessons were given on talking targets, Inches, Minutes and Clicks and firing in rifleman's cadence. Targets paid the price as shooters learned and applied the fundamentals of shooting in seated and standing positions.

The Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT) was shot Saturday afternoon. We had one rifleman requalify and a couple that were knocking on the door of an expert score. On our last redcoat of the day, youth shooter McKinley came within one shot of clearing the target, lading 12/13 hits. Huzzah!

Our intrepid shooters returned Sunday for continued practice. Before the first shot was fired, instructors got in the dirt with shooters for a one-on-on review of the fundamentals. After a brief sighter period, we went right into the first AQT of the day. Youth shooter Octavia showed us she knew what she was about, shooting a 218/250 to ear her rifleman's patch. Congratulations Octavia!

Full distance shooting was taught, where students learned how to detect targets, estimate range, apply come-ups and deal with wind at extended range. The lesson was put into practice as we backed up from 25 meters to 100 yards. After an initial string of fire, students applied Inches Minutes and Clicks to get their hits on target. With zeroes confirmed, we engaged in a little friendly competition on a series of steel targets. Octavia, Andrew and McKinley took the prizes. Octavia put on a marksmanship display as she rapidly hit 3" steel at 100 yards 4 times out of 5. Wow!

Thanks to Marion Road Gun Club for being such a faithful and hospitable host. Thank you all, shooters, for your teachable attitudes and enthusiasm.  It was an honor and privilege to work with you. We hope to see you again.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

smileinbob

Hey guys, Sorry this is a bit late but better late than never,

Octavia and I really enjoyed meeting you all and learning about marksmanship and our early history, hopefully we can get an event closer to us... I dont know how the WMA feels about this kind of thing but i think the range at richmond hill would work well for event.

KPUC

I have shot there a number of times since we moved here.  Both of the range officers seemed amenable and interested in Appleseed.  One of them even commented that he was impressed that I was shooting prone.  I am not sure what all we would need to do to get an event scheduled.  I think we need to get a shoot boss for sure. 

If you wanted to meet up there sometime, give me a call.  I live in Richmond Hill, less than a 1/2 hour away.  Chris (912) 436-4817
216 at Bald Knob, AR on 1/17/16
A rifleman persists; it took me six Appleseeds, a number of equipment changes and a trip to the eye doctor to qualify.  Pumpkinseed is my only daughter.

smileinbob

I don't get up to that range as often as it's further away that big hammock for me. But when I do I will give you a holler... I was also thinking about getting some of the red coat targets to see if they would mind us leaving them there to poke up a little more interest. Already planing on getting some and some of the AQTs to shoot with guys from work drum up a little interest there..