News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Question for NC event instructors

Started by Fynn, March 21, 2018, 08:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fynn

Hello,

I will be using a bolt action .22 with a 5 rnd magazine for the Appleseed event in Ramseur this summer.

Will I be allowed to shoot stages 2 & 3 using two 5 rnd mags?

Or will my qualification attempt only count if I use a 5 rnd mag (shoot 2) then swith to the 10 rnd mag (shoot remaining 8)?

Thanks for any clarification you can give me.

Creakyknees

Fynn
Ultimately it will be up to the shoot boss at the event. Ideally the mag load should be 2 & 8 to get all the position shifts. Using a boltie is challenging but doable!
Look forward to seeing you on the line!
Creaky

Fynn

Quote from: Creakyknees on March 21, 2018, 09:15:34 PM
Fynn
Ultimately it will be up to the shoot boss at the event. Ideally the mag load should be 2 & 8 to get all the position shifts. Using a boltie is challenging but doable!
Look forward to seeing you on the line!
Creaky

Thanks for the reply! I really don't see how it would give me any sort of advantage 5/5 but I'll follow the rules for sure :-X

The CZ magazines are expensive and the only reason I would buy a 10 round mag is for the event. In addition, the 10 rounders are just plain awkward (for me) and change my support hand position.

I thought I should ask in advance since I definitely don't want to be sent home for not having the "correct" equipment :P

Nashville Stage

Fynn, I'll throw my 2 cents in. On my CZ452 (pictured to the left), I've found that the 10 round magazines make for much faster magazine changes, since they extend below the stock & give my fingers something to grab. I agree with you: those little mags are pricy for their size.

When in the standing/offhand position, the extended mag is right where my support hand naturally rests. What I do is extend my thumb & first two fingers, resting the rifle on those with the magazine between my thumb & index finger. I like the little bit of extra height it gives me as well. In the seated/kneeling and prone positions, your hand will fall much further forward on the stock so I wouldn't worry there.

Touch base with the Shoot Boss for your event; their name & contact info should be listed on the registration page. Shoot Bosses are awesome; I've seen some very creative solutions to problems before.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Fynn

Quote from: Nashville Stage on March 22, 2018, 01:19:13 PM
Fynn, I'll throw my 2 cents in. On my CZ452 (pictured to the left), I've found that the 10 round magazines make for much faster magazine changes, since they extend below the stock & give my fingers something to grab. I agree with you: those little mags are pricy for their size.

When in the standing/offhand position, the extended mag is right where my support hand naturally rests. What I do is extend my thumb & first two fingers, resting the rifle on those with the magazine between my thumb & index finger. I like the little bit of extra height it gives me as well. In the seated/kneeling and prone positions, your hand will fall much further forward on the stock so I wouldn't worry there.

Touch base with the Shoot Boss for your event; their name & contact info should be listed on the registration page. Shoot Bosses are awesome; I've seen some very creative solutions to problems before.

Thanks for the tips. I will try that offhand hold for sure and will contact the boss for the event.

stoneknives

5 and 5 on a bolt is fine as that was the correct for course of fire using the 1903 Springfield AQT. When the Army switch to the M1 it went to 2 and 8.

Remember the bolt guys have to reacquire NPOA with each shot ,not just each target.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

The Wolfhound

The bolt throw on a 452 is short enough that you do  not have to break position.  Practice in dry fire to prove it to yourself.  It will not hit your face.  Then you can stay on target.  I have a couple of "2 shots-one hole" targets on my wall to prove it.  A distinct advantage over the 1903. 

Fynn

Well, after 2 weeks with the 10 round magazine, I can say with some degree of certainty - I hate it lol

Money's tight, magazines are expensive, this one is going back for a 5 rounder. Hopefully I can work something out with the shoot boss at qualifying events but maybe that is getting ahead of myself. I still need to learn how to shoot :P

Monkey

Quote from: Fynn on April 15, 2018, 01:02:42 PM
Well, after 2 weeks with the 10 round magazine, I can say with some degree of certainty - I hate it lol

Money's tight, magazines are expensive, this one is going back for a 5 rounder. Hopefully I can work something out with the shoot boss at qualifying events but maybe that is getting ahead of myself. I still need to learn how to shoot :P

Rack grade rifle, average ammo, teaching Americans to own everything out the Rifleman's Quarter Mile.  That's what we do.

At the end of the day, this is not a "gear snob" organization.  Bring what you have, or at least what you can afford.  The instructor team will work with you from there.

Just don't bring a M&P 15-22.  ;D ;D ;D
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Fynn

Due to the rescheduling of a trip, I will not be able to attend an event in Ramseur this summer but am signing up for June 2nd-3rd in Charlotte instead. I was looking forward to Ramseur but am confident the Charlotte will be awesome.