News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Altered Piru flyers

Started by LavaTech, January 12, 2009, 12:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LavaTech

At this URL: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a16576be687a6f62297a0211fc2927a5e8f7c46dcb7a51b0
are the three current flyers with both payment rates shown, and some wording changes. If it is believed that these should replace the others, then so it shall be, but I thought I'd do it first and ask for blessing or execution later after I no longer have to worry about it. ;)

P.S. If this entry belongs elsewhere...I'll gladly look elsewhere next time to follow it up, my bad. O0

If I can remember to convert to PDF in the future.....we'd all be better served I suppose. %) Sometimers is a terrible mental illness, I do hope I'll remember more often than "sometime". $$-0

Here are February and March in PDF....and now that I see it is possible for me to post attachments directly - I'll do so. Thanks V.O0

(I have added a couple floggings, just to help improve morale.) :D
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.

- John Adams

LavaTech

I made some incredibly minor changes (periods), but they are consistent throughout. @)

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.

- John Adams

V

Here's a flyer format I've been using.  For each site I list all the events for the year. So if I print 100 of these for january and only use 80 the other 20 aren't wasted as they can be used for February etc. Nothing to stop it being edited each month to remove the completed events.

.odt is the OpenOffice format as I use Linux/OpenOffice not Windows.

LavaTech

I like it! :D
One typo (sp) and two punctuation errors fixed. Added Fred link for "click here" plus wording changes. ;)
Added zip code to address and link for NWS weather forecast.
Probably missed as much as I "fixed".  ;D
edit: Missed RWVA address first time around :P
OOo seems OK, maybe I'll stick with it.

- John Adams

bob 210

How about a doc or pdf file?
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

LavaTech

PM sent.

edit: Bob, I see what Phil means about MS Word type documents not being nice on his system....I'm running XP and its rather awful on my system too. This flyer fairly well demands to be printed from Open Office, and it's free software, so......
Just to have some icing on the cake to scrape off, Word won't let me get rid of the underlining either - or at least not easily
I would REALLY like to know how Phil made his PDF, it looks like the ODF file but that's not an available output format (PDF).
There is really nothing that will make the DOC version any good, the best choice available is PDF format if only for its ability to respect hard printer margins.

- John Adams

V

Quote from: LavaTech on January 23, 2009, 06:32:35 PM
I would REALLY like to know how Phil made his PDF, it looks like the ODF file but that's not an available output format (PDF).
Simply hit the PDF button on the OpenOffice toolbar, it saves in PDF format. Or use File->Export...select PDF.

Its all free in OpenOffice.

Cheers
V

LavaTech

QuoteSimply hit the PDF button on the OpenOffice toolbar, it saves in PDF format. Or use File->Export...select PDF.

I could wear my glasses forever, and they still won't prevent willful blindness.  :P

- John Adams

LayloPro

Object recognition.........it's only object recognition, LT........ ??? :D ;D
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

rock-chucker

Hi all:

I just now found my way to this part of the forum to get plugged into what's going on in ShootBoss land.

You guys have been busy.

I like your flyer, V.  thank you for sharing it and the tip on Open Office.  Looks like a very handy way to convert to pdf format.  I'll likely borrow much from yours while making flyers for my upcoming Santa Barbara and Ridgecrest shoots.

I'm sure glad to have some computer savvy people in this group.  I'm a bit clunky, I have to admit.

R-C

scuzzy

OpenOffice - I use this and it would be good if it could be made a standard for all Appleseed flyers and other types of documentation. The PDF export function is very good since it allows people to print from Windows/Linux/Mac in a way that 'just works.' Being a linux user myself I like to receive odt docs so I don't have to boot up XP. I know Puff-TMD uses OpenOffice (he is the guy in charge of flyers). And shoot, it is free.

The Flyers - Puff-TMD at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=1071 is in charge of flyers. Is he in the loop on this? I believe he posts flyers on the http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/ information (or maybe Riflewoman?) so it might be good to get him in the loop. I had just done a bunch of Piru flyers but in a generic format. Y'all have some nice flyers there so he will probably want to use yours instead of the ones I just did. It would be good to have everyone in sync on this. I am still trying to get a handle on who is in charge of what here, so my apologies if all this is already being done.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

webdancer

I've been working on creating a matching set of tri-fold, yearly flyer for CA events and on the off chance I can save anyone some effort, here are the FAQ, Piru, Corona, Santa Barbara, and Fresno so far.  I'll update this post and add new flyers here as they are completed.

I've used V's yearly tri-fold as the basis for a few reasons:

1) Though they are printed on plain paper, they look rather professional and brochure-like when z-folded and enclosed in a #10 envelope (perhaps with a SWAT reprint) :).

2) V taught me that if handed an unfolded tri-fold, gun show attendees will stand at the table and fold them into the accordion shape--giving the Appleseeder a few extra moments to pitch (yep, it works--8 of 10 people do it--it is a good thing that V has chosen to use his powers for good>:D.

3) I hate having to waste flyers when the dates get stale; it's expensive and not eco-friendly (okay, yes, this is California). And did I mention expensive?  :(  Having a full year schedule reduces the waste of both time and materials.

The flyer has been formatted so that the date area is spacious and can easily be refreshed with new dates by applying an address label.

The long individual registrations links have removed (people aren't likely to type them when they can click-through from the short, easy-to-type main URL). This provided space for other info. The URL has been added to each section of the flyer.

There are several splashes of colour, so one could print an eye-catching display copy using their printer's "transfer-of-wealth" mode and post it in a sheet protector with a supply of the B&W copies for people to take.

The flyers can be printed back-to-back and z-folded so that each side shows a different event.

The tri-fold FAQ can be used alone or as the back of an event flyer. The order of some of the questions has been changed so that the information flows (equipment questions together, registration questions together, etc.) and the URL appears on the page.

Suggestions are always welcome.

P.e.r.s.i.s.t.i.n.g, 
Webdancer
More fundamentally, however, the basic premise of the Court's argument–that American law should conform to the laws of the rest of the world–ought to be rejected out of hand.  --Justice Antonin Scalia, dissent to Roper v. Simmons

Fred

Beautiful job; beautiful flyers.

The "FAQ" is a bit out-of-date - see http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=3930.0 for latest updated version.

And your English teacher would be most disturbed by a subject-verb issue on the yearly flyers.... >:D

These comments made only because I know you want these docs to be the best - as an Appleseeder! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

webdancer

Quote from: Fred on March 04, 2009, 10:19:43 AMBeautiful job; beautiful flyers.
The "FAQ" is a bit out-of-date - see http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=3930.0 for latest updated version

Thanks for the kind words, V did the pioneering, I simply tweaked.
The new FAQ info is very helpful, thank you for the link.

Quote from: Fred on March 04, 2009, 10:19:43 AM
And your English teacher would be most disturbed by a subject-verb issue on the yearly flyers.... >:D
Uh...  ::panics::
Quote from: Fred on March 04, 2009, 10:19:43 AMThese comments made only because I know you want these docs to be the best - as an Appleseeder! O0

Thank you sir, may I have another?  ;D  Actually, you are spot on, I do want to make these as close to perfect as my human condition permits. I am greatful for the feedback and any time you've a suggestion for me, I'll be listening.  O0
Webdancer
More fundamentally, however, the basic premise of the Court's argument–that American law should conform to the laws of the rest of the world–ought to be rejected out of hand.  --Justice Antonin Scalia, dissent to Roper v. Simmons