News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

*** Texas IBC This March ***

Started by Ghostring, January 23, 2018, 06:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

AF5US

For whatever it's worth, I'm finishing up a little home project that the Green Hats might be interested in.  A home-made case to keep and transport targets and other shoot-boss supplies.  It's based off of a design by DragonMedic, in the Eastern part of the U.S.

It's "done enough" even at this point, although I'm hoping to polish it up a bit more.  Regardless - I'll bring it this weekend, in case a similar project might be useful to others.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

TxRebel

Ruger 10/22:  Txrebel (x3)
Remington 597: Ghostring (x2), Scuzzy (x1)
Marlin 795:  club has tons were good
AR-15:  Txrebel (x3)
Garand: Ghostring (x1), NEED 2 MORE
M1A: Txrebel (x1), AF5US (x1), Tumbleweed (x1)
AK: Txrebel (x1), NEED 2 MORE
SKS: Ghostring (x1), NEED 2 MORE

PS: AF5US sounds interesting
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Mrs. Smith

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Still so sad we can't go

I'd definitely bring my 60 again.  I'm determined to roll back some of the anti-tubefeeder sentiment that prevails amongst the bulk of the cadre. DETERMINED I say!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

dayid

Just saw this - not registered yet but sent you a Personal message Ghostring.

Mrs. Smith: If I'm able to make it I'll be sure to bring some Marlin Model 60's - I've many a tube defended!

TxRebel

I guess some tube fed 60 would be okay as long as we quarantine them so they don't infect the rest of the guns.  :beer:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: TxRebel on March 07, 2018, 01:40:36 PM
I guess some tube fed 60 would be okay as long as we quarantine them so they don't infect the rest of the guns.  :beer:

:P :P :P :P  :tsk: :tsk:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

AF5US

Quote from: dayid on March 07, 2018, 01:14:42 PM
Just saw this - not registered yet but sent you a Personal message Ghostring.

Mrs. Smith: If I'm able to make it I'll be sure to bring some Marlin Model 60's - I've many a tube defended!

Dayid, I'm sure Ghostring will get back to you soon (if he hasn't already).  I'll toss in my quick two cents to say that we'd love to have you, and hope you can make it.

Ghostring

Gentlemen and Ladies

The IBC is, quite literally, just around the corner! 

Thanks to TxRebel for getting the Rifle's out of the way!
Dayid - PLEASE COME!  We can definitely use a few Model 60s to add to the pack!   O0

As you recall, an IBC has several breakout sessions that are first described and framed by the SB, then will feature an Instructor (Green Hat, likely!) who will demonstrate, then the IITs will get to practice and get signed-off on the knowledge!

So far, so good.  But who does what?  Great Question!

Here's the game plan for Friday, Saturday and Sunday:

Friday
6pm-8pm - Medical Discussion - tourniquet and Israeli bandage practice
8pm-sleep - Swap meet!

Saturday
(Times are approximate)
0700-0800 - Breakfast
0800-0815 - Pledge, entry survey, agenda
0815-0900 - Intros: Name, location, why do you AS?
0900-0920 - Safety Briefing and Breakout Ghostring
1020-1030 - Break
1030-1045 - Doing an effective POI
1045-1145 - Prone SHF and Breakout
1145-1230 - Lunch / Applecore
1230-1245 - History fundamentals
1245-1320 - First strike - no breakout - AF5US
1320-1330 - Break
1330-1425 - Six Steps and Breakout
1425-1525 - NPOA and Breakout
1525-1605 - Break
1605-1645 - Standing SHF and breakout - Tumbleweed
1645-1730 - Second strike dissection
1730-1915 - Dinner
1915-2030 - Rifle Familiarization - TxRebel
2030-???? - Optional IMC Review - ?????

SUNDAY
0800-0830 - Pledge/Admin/Forum/TIPS
0830-0850 - Elevator speech w/breakout
0850-0915 - State of the State - Review of 2017, goals for 2018 - Ghostring
0915-0925 - Break
0925-1035 - Seated SHF and breakout - AF5US
1035-1115 - IMC and breakout
1115-1130 - Break
1130-1200 - Effective Storytelling
1200-1230 - Lunch / Regional
1230-1315 - Third Strike - no breakout - Tumbleweed
1315-1430 - Diagnosing shooter errors and breakout - Team
1430-1445 - Break
1445-1530 - KD, Remaining POIs, talking targets, rifleman cadence, ball dummy, carding the sights
1530-1600 - DOMs, no breakout
1600-1630 - Closing comments/discussion/exit survey

If you'd like to head up some of the other breakout sessions, let me know.  Each POI will require an INSTRUCTOR and a MODEL.

More to follow!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

TxRebel

I'll volunteer for-
Saturday: Prone SHF and NPOA
Sunday: IMC

Assign me anything else you need done
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: dayid on March 07, 2018, 01:14:42 PM

:1luvu

DrRichP

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 07, 2018, 12:53:27 PM
I'd definitely bring my 60 again.  I'm determined to roll back some of the anti-tubefeeder sentiment that prevails amongst the bulk of the cadre. DETERMINED I say!

Tubers? Like potato's? Why would we want those?  #)

I think I had my tubers tied  :slap:, won't be having any of those.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Ghostring

Jason,

I actually saw and handled two of DragonMedic's cases in Michigan, and if I had a way to get one home I would have.
It's an excellent concept, and he's made them fairly inexpensive to boot.

Really looking forward to your take on it!

Jim

Quote from: AF5US on March 07, 2018, 09:24:25 AM
For whatever it's worth, I'm finishing up a little home project that the Green Hats might be interested in.  A home-made case to keep and transport targets and other shoot-boss supplies.  It's based off of a design by DragonMedic, in the Eastern part of the U.S.

It's "done enough" even at this point, although I'm hoping to polish it up a bit more.  Regardless - I'll bring it this weekend, in case a similar project might be useful to others.
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

Superheat

AF5US

Quote from: Superheat on March 08, 2018, 10:47:32 AM
Target boxes.  Designed by Dragonmedic.

Here's the  link to some pics: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=52732.msg352395#msg352395

Superheat's link above is exactly the post where I originally stumbled on this.  Like Jim, DragonMedic lives far from me & I didn't have a good way to take delivery.  He was kind enough to share some designs with me; I play an IT guy on T.V. but my attempt came out not-half-bad.  I modified the design to include a third section on the back, to add a foot of deep-storage space.  It does of course add weight, but it's not terrible.

I had a chance to work on it a bit more.  It's pretty well finished - I'll tweak and smooth slightly next week, but it's a good prototype to show this weekend.

Picture attached to this message

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: DrRichP on March 08, 2018, 03:38:21 AM

I literally lol'd!! But you certainly made my point  **)

We had a couple at our most recent event that had attended an Appleseed previously, with tube feeders. They were made to feel as if they were holding everything up, and inconveniencing the line.  That's total crap.  When I'm on the line with mine, it doesn't slow things down one bit.  I told them next time, they can bring those rifles, and I'll show 'em how it's done.  It's more difficult, but thanks to some advice from Milt and Margie (NM instructors now in....  Idaho? She goes by Appleseed Widow. I forget Milt's. But I digress) I have zero impact on the flow of the line.  You can ask Ghostring. He's seen me do it.  I imagine it's pretty entertaining to watch  ;D   I even do the rapid fire version of the AQT with it.  In fact , now that I think about it, I came within 9 points of rifleman at my very first event shooting my model 60 with tech sights. I didn't come up short because of the rifle. I came up short because of my vision.

Ticks me off when I hear about somebody showing up with their Dad's or Granddad's model 60 and being treated like it's not good enough.  I encourage mag feeds, because it's easier for the shooter, but it's not the end-all.

There goes that mouth of mine again.  :sb: When is somebody going to tell me to just shut up?  And just think.... you guys are going to be stuck in a booth at NRAAM with me for THREE DAYS.  My apologies in advance  >:D >:D

:beer:
Traci

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: AF5US on March 08, 2018, 10:59:47 AM

Here's the  link to some pics: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=52732.msg352395#msg352395

Superheat's link above is exactly the post where I originally stumbled on this.  Like Jim, DragonMedic lives far from me & I didn't have a good way to take delivery.  He was kind enough to share some designs with me; I play an IT guy on T.V. but my attempt came out not-half-bad.  I modified the design to include a third section on the back, to add a foot of deep-storage space.  It does of course add weight, but it's not terrible.

I had a chance to work on it a bit more.  It's pretty well finished - I'll tweak and smooth slightly next week, but it's a good prototype to show this weekend.

that's.... AWESOME.

Have you considered putting it on wheels? Cuz, you know. I"m lazy, and I don't do anything the hard way  ;D

AF5US

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 08, 2018, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: AF5US on March 08, 2018, 10:59:47 AM

that's.... AWESOME.

Have you considered putting it on wheels? Cuz, you know. I"m lazy, and I don't do anything the hard way  ;D

Thank you Mrs. Smith, I appreciate it.  I haven't decided what I want to do, but I'm considering an enhancement.  Wheels might have to be "beefy" to get through a field.  I'm also considering a rope handle on either side.

I think the beauty of this is that each instructor can do what they want with this.  Want to keep weight and length down?  Skip the custom third section - etc.

WeaponX

I can bring an AK and an SKS if they are still needed.

Also, I booked a hotel in Waco. Are we supposed to stay there on the property?

And, are the IITs expected to be there Friday evening?

AF5US

Go ahead and bring them - better to have too many than not enough.

Not so much "supposed" to stay on the property, but a good number of us are either throwing up tents or laying out cots in the bunk house.  If you can cancel your hotel without penalty you're certainly welcome to join us.

No one is "expected" to make it Friday, but if you can you're very welcome.  It's a chance to get in a little trigger time, go over some common medical issues and how to handle, and just enjoy some good, all-around (mostly) wholesome comradery.  You and I live in the same area - I took a half day off to head down; I realize that not everyone can do that.  If you can't that's fine, just be sure to make it bright and early Saturday.

Quote from: WeaponX on March 08, 2018, 10:04:06 PM

Ghostring

Quote<snip> ...You can ask Ghostring. He's seen me do it.  I imagine it's pretty entertaining to watch  ;D   I even do the rapid fire version of the AQT with it.<snip>

PREACH IT!  :bow:

I'll testify that I had NO FREAKIN' IDEA how fast a tuber could run the course before seeing Traci shoot her 60.  (It's named Squirrel...or was it Not-Squirrel...I digress...)  Anyway, she knows what she's about with that thing.

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 08, 2018, 11:58:55 AM
Quote from: DrRichP on March 08, 2018, 03:38:21 AM

I literally lol'd!! But you certainly made my point  **)

We had a couple at our most recent event that had attended an Appleseed previously, with tube feeders. They were made to feel as if they were holding everything up, and inconveniencing the line.  That's total crap.  When I'm on the line with mine, it doesn't slow things down one bit.  I told them next time, they can bring those rifles, and I'll show 'em how it's done.  It's more difficult, but thanks to some advice from Milt and Margie (NM instructors now in....  Idaho? She goes by Appleseed Widow. I forget Milt's. But I digress) I have zero impact on the flow of the line.  You can ask Ghostring. He's seen me do it.  I imagine it's pretty entertaining to watch  ;D   I even do the rapid fire version of the AQT with it.  In fact , now that I think about it, I came within 9 points of rifleman at my very first event shooting my model 60 with tech sights. I didn't come up short because of the rifle. I came up short because of my vision.

Ticks me off when I hear about somebody showing up with their Dad's or Granddad's model 60 and being treated like it's not good enough.  I encourage mag feeds, because it's easier for the shooter, but it's not the end-all.

There goes that mouth of mine again.  :sb: When is somebody going to tell me to just shut up?  And just think.... you guys are going to be stuck in a booth at NRAAM with me for THREE DAYS.  My apologies in advance  >:D >:D

:beer:
Traci

Ghostring

Just to clarify - We're good for camping on the premises, definitely cool for this event.

Come join us on Friday!  We're going to have a bit of fun, what with having a training tourniquet on hand and all.
...with this crowd, I wonder if I need a sign saying "No Tourniquet On Neck", or if that'll just work itself out  ;)

Quote from: AF5US on March 08, 2018, 10:20:27 PM
Go ahead and bring them - better to have too many than not enough.

Not so much "supposed" to stay on the property, but a good number of us are either throwing up tents or laying out cots in the bunk house.  If you can cancel your hotel without penalty you're certainly welcome to join us.

No one is "expected" to make it Friday, but if you can you're very welcome.  It's a chance to get in a little trigger time, go over some common medical issues and how to handle, and just enjoy some good, all-around (mostly) wholesome comradery.  You and I live in the same area - I took a half day off to head down; I realize that not everyone can do that.  If you can't that's fine, just be sure to make it bright and early Saturday.

Quote from: WeaponX on March 08, 2018, 10:04:06 PM

Ghostring

IBC GATE INFORMATION

The gate will be open FRIDAY starting at 4pm, and locked again at about 6:30pm.
That said, we should have someone AT THE CLUB at 2pm, no later than 2:30.

IF YOU NEED IN BEFORE 4pm (and you're not a member  ::))

CALL ME: 713.545.9327 and we'll let you in.

The gate will be open at about 6:45am on Saturday and Sunday -- we'd like to start at 8am, and breakfast starts around 7:15 :)

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 08, 2018, 11:58:55 AMWhen I'm on the line with mine, it doesn't slow things down one bit.  I told them next time, they can bring those rifles, and I'll show 'em how it's done.  It's more difficult, but thanks to some advice from Milt and Margie I have zero impact on the flow of the line.  You can ask Ghostring. He's seen me do it.  I imagine it's pretty entertaining to watch  ;D

Would you be up for demonstrating your technique in front of a camera? I'm sure that a lot of instructors would love to see how it's done. YouTube is easy to use. :)
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Nashville Stage on March 09, 2018, 01:56:37 AM
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 08, 2018, 11:58:55 AMWhen I'm on the line with mine, it doesn't slow things down one bit.  I told them next time, they can bring those rifles, and I'll show 'em how it's done.  It's more difficult, but thanks to some advice from Milt and Margie I have zero impact on the flow of the line.  You can ask Ghostring. He's seen me do it.  I imagine it's pretty entertaining to watch  ;D

Would you be up for demonstrating your technique in front of a camera? I'm sure that a lot of instructors would love to see how it's done. YouTube is easy to use. :)

Look at you,  throwing the ball back in my court!  ;D

I never thought about it,  actually.  I can probably do that.  It won't be in time for the IBC, as I'm working the next several days,  but I'll see what I can do. Particularly if there's genuine interest.

Google

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 09, 2018, 08:16:58 AM
Quote from: Nashville Stage on March 09, 2018, 01:56:37 AM

Look at you,  throwing the ball back in my court!  ;D

I never thought about it,  actually.  I can probably do that.  It won't be in time for the IBC, as I'm working the next several days,  but I'll see what I can do. Particularly if there's genuine interest.

I second Nashville Stage's request.  I'll admit to having some latent anti-tube sentiment, primarily from lack of experience.  Educate me  ;)

scuzzy

I'd planned on coming out today but my truck is still at my friend's shop. It was supposed to be ready yesterday. Should be ready either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Note: Don't loan your main vehicle to your kids. And then they drive it all day with the parking brake on. And then you have to cut off the rear drum with a cutting torch to get to the brake shoes. And buy new drums. Just hope the rear bearing are OK. About to head to the auto parts store here in a few minutes.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

AF5US

I'm amazed at how many people don't know how to use a parking brake.  It's not even a youth issue - people my age even.

Maybe I shouldn't be amazed.  Look how many people don't understand the concept of a turn signal.   **)

See ya tomorrow, buddy.

Quote from: scuzzy on March 09, 2018, 11:12:05 AM
I'd planned on coming out today but my truck is still at my friend's shop. It was supposed to be ready yesterday. Should be ready either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Note: Don't loan your main vehicle to your kids. And then they drive it all day with the parking brake on. And then you have to cut off the rear drum with a cutting torch to get to the brake shoes. And buy new drums. Just hope the rear bearing are OK. About to head to the auto parts store here in a few minutes.

PaleRider

Friends don't let friends use tubed .22s  **) **) **) **)!
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: PaleRider on March 09, 2018, 11:25:22 AM
Friends don't let friends use tubed .22s  **) **) **) **)!

Shush, you! Just cuz YOU can't do it  ::)