News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

"Advanced" Rifleman patches

Started by Mrs. Smith, October 24, 2017, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Hey,  y'all.  Some time back,  maybe as much as a year ago,  I remember reading about new patches in development as incentive to keep folks coming back to shoots even if they've already gotten their Rifleman patch. It was,  as I recall,  a special patch for 230+ with iron sights,  and 240+ with optics.

I can't find any reference to them now.  Whatever happened with that?
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

carlb

To the best of my knowledge, this was either started or stolen ;) by beswift in Maryland. Not sure if he has kept up these, it was about 5 years ago... Are you trying to start it up or earn one?

Carl
"He who sacrifices essential liberty for temporary safety deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams
"One hundred rounds do not constitute fire power. One hit constitutes fire power." - General Merritt Edson, U.S. Marine Corps

308LIBERTY

only "advanced" patch that matter says "Full Distance" on it. ;)
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Mrs. Smith

I'm not proposing it.  Somebody already did that.  I'm merely trying to find out its status.  Was the plan scrapped? Or just delayed?
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

carlb

I would PM beswift directly. He is a great guy and will know the history/current status.   
"He who sacrifices essential liberty for temporary safety deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams
"One hundred rounds do not constitute fire power. One hit constitutes fire power." - General Merritt Edson, U.S. Marine Corps

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: carlb on October 24, 2017, 02:58:12 PM
I would PM beswift directly. He is a great guy and will know the history/current status.

Thanks!

PHenry

I would very much like to see three patches. One for 22 rimfire, one for CF and one for KD, as there is an enormous difference. However, this would surely cause great consternation and added expense so might not be worth it in all respects.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

TxRebel

I'm still waiting for word on this as well.  Almost a year ago the AOC put out that they were planning/developing a "designated Rifleman" patch for the following scores.

230+ open sights
240+ Scoped

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: TxRebel on October 24, 2017, 04:28:05 PM
I'm still waiting for word on this as well.  Almost a year ago the AOC put out that they were planning/developing a "designated Rifleman" patch for the following scores.

230+ open sights
240+ Scoped

THAT'S what they called it! I couldn't remember

BeSwift

This is something that the AOC approved, and I SOLELY have dropped the ball on... There was a TM issue with the design that I was planning on using, and I need to redesign/rename the patch.  I'll get this on my radar, and hope to have some news by Jan at the latest...   My bad   :wb:
BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: BeSwift on October 24, 2017, 06:56:11 PM
This is something that the AOC approved, and I SOLELY have dropped the ball on... There was a TM issue with the design that I was planning on using, and I need to redesign/rename the patch.  I'll get this on my radar, and hope to have some news by Jan at the latest...   My bad   :wb:
BeSwift

Sure,  you've got nothing else to do,  right?   ;)

You'll get there,  when you get there. I was just wondering if it was still a "thing. "

AF5US

BeSwift - Make sure that you ask for a raise.  Considering the time this requires, along with your day job, I think that this patch is probably worth a 5% bump in Project Appleseed pay  ;D

Seriously, though - Thank you for both your work on this, and the update.  Much appreciated!
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

RaggedHole

Quote from: TxRebel on October 24, 2017, 04:28:05 PM

230+ open sights
240+ Scoped

Awesome, I'll take one  ;D I seem to be stuck on 241 and shot three of them this past weekend in Kansas  :wb: !@#) :wb:

When I do put 4 perfect stages together for a 250, I will definitely be commissioning a gold colored rifleman's patc ..:.. ;) ;D @@) 
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Roswell on October 25, 2017, 04:02:36 PM
Quote from: Three'oEight on October 24, 2017, 12:50:37 PMh

I agree

I guess those of us who live several hundred miles from the nearest KD are just SOL, huh?

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Roswell on October 25, 2017, 04:02:36 PM
Quote from: Three'oEight on October 24, 2017, 12:50:37 PMh

I agree

I guess those of us who live several hundred miles from the nearest KD are just SOL, huh?

floydf

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on October 25, 2017, 06:00:21 PM

Someone consistently shooting in the 230s at 25 with CF will have no problem at distance.

The most important part about KD is that it can't be shot with rimfire, so it forces folks to put away the rimfire rifles and pull out the CFs.

The reason many folks don't shoot well at distance is b/c they can't shoot their CF rifle all that well at 25.

A very wise man once said "what works at 25 works at distance".  It's one of strongest parts of the Appleseed program.  It's really at the core of the program.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of separate patches for distance.  But there is a huge difference between rimfire at 25 and centerfire at 25.  If it gets people to put away the rimfire and pull out the CF, great.

But you could do that without attending a KD,  And then, when your CF scores at 25 are solid in the 230s, when you go to the KD, you will rock.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

AF5US

My .02, for whatever it's worth - FloydF brings up some good points.

Adjusting for a bullet drop at KD wasn't a problem.  I did a little research before-hand - had to tweak it a bit, but it got me in the ballpark.

The bigger challenge for me was dealing with recoil.  Sure, I can get good groupings at 25 yards taking my sweet time.  Now let's try those 10 shots in 65 seconds, toss in a magazine change, and I realize that my prone position was a little sloppy, and as a result I wasn't absorbing the recoil as well as I should have been.

The experience made me a better shooter & a better instructor.

Mrs. Smith

As I recall,  the purpose of the new patches was incentive for  shooters to keep attending events after they've scored Rifleman. The next "brass ring, " so to speak.

Return shooters = revenue = keeping the lights on.

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on October 27, 2017, 04:03:13 PM
As I recall,  the purpose of the new patches was incentive for  shooters to keep attending events after they've scored Rifleman. The next "brass ring, " so to speak.

Not only that, but it's nice to recognize those shooters who do exceptionally well.

I'm sure it varies from one area to the next, but attendance at KD's has been really low compared to the regular Appleseeds that I've been to. If we can't get people to come to a KD, maybe we can give then another reason to come back to a regular Appleseed (besides being able to hang out with incredibly handsome instructors).  ;)
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Nashville Stage

Quote from: RaggedHole on October 25, 2017, 03:19:55 PM
When I do put 4 perfect stages together for a 250, I will definitely be commissioning a gold colored rifleman's patc ..:.. ;) ;D @@)

Now that's an awesome idea. A gold Rifleman's patch, or at least a gold "250" rocker/tab.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

eaglescouter

I'm still hoping for strips that go under the Rifleman patch that say:

We would award no more than two per qualifying Rifleman score on an AQT at an Appleseed.

400 yards because regular people don't understand the concepts of Full Distance or Known Distance.  400 yards tells an understandable story.
32 degrees likewise is understandable
100 degrees likewise is understandable

If you are not achievement oriented then this post means nothing for you.  Carry on.
For those of us who are achievement oriented it means I need more rifleman scores, more Appleseeds, and perhaps another rifle and scope!

Costs and inventory: 
Make these as a single patch, cut edge, not fully embroidered.  = CHEAP
Shoot Boss gets a handful for each shoot, uses scissors to cut the strips apart and issue the earned ones, the others go into inventory for next event.

Actual patch and stitching would be as shown below, the gap between rectangles is the cut line to separate the strips:

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Kennebago

IMHO, competency-based bling is, at absolute worst, tolerable. It's just a signal; nonverbal communication counts for a lot sometimes.

Also - in the age of AR15s, I think noise has more to do with centerfire tummy troubles than recoil. Not going to lie, sitting on a concrete slab firing line with a metal roof and 10-15 braked carbines with 16" barrels isn't my favorite thing in the world either. 160+ dB is loud, and giving that sound nowhere to go is totally uncool, bro.

I prefer shooting "out in the elements" on open ranges, by a ton. I grew up behind a drumset, my ears are hosed enough as it is.
Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

AF5US

Quote from: Kennebago on October 28, 2017, 10:42:10 AM

Also - in the age of AR15s, I think noise has more to do with centerfire tummy troubles than recoil.

Fair point; I don't necessarily disagree.  For clarification - I was shooting my M1A.  The kick isn't bad, but combined with a sub-optimal body position the recoil was enough to force me to re-adjust and re-acquire NPOA between shots.  If I had taken my AR-15 it might not have been something I even noticed, but my M1A shoots better. 

DrRichP

You asked, we heard, and have answered!

Everyone wants that Rifleman patch and now there's an opportunity to join us on the line again for some extra recognition. 

We are pleased to roll out the Appleseed Distinguished Rifleman designation.  The Distinguished rocker will be awarded to shooters who score 230 or higher using iron sights or 240 or higher using optics on the Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT). 

Ready for a Known Distance (KD) event?  We've got new Known Distance rockers as well.  And if you're really motivated, why not try for that elusive perfect 250?  We've got a rocker for that too!  Check out the schedule for an event near you!

DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

RaggedHole

Great work on making those available, I know from the comments on FB and other 10/22 groups a lot of people are excited about coming back and earning a new patch. Rich, is the Inferno Seed patch still being looked at to be made official?

Quote from: DrRichP on January 04, 2018, 04:16:36 AM
You asked, we heard, and have answered!

Everyone wants that Rifleman patch and now there's an opportunity to join us on the line again for some extra recognition. 

We are pleased to roll out the Appleseed Distinguished Rifleman designation.  The Distinguished rocker will be awarded to shooters who score 230 or higher using iron sights or 240 or higher using optics on the Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT). 

Ready for a Known Distance (KD) event?  We've got new Known Distance rockers as well.  And if you're really motivated, why not try for that elusive perfect 250?  We've got a rocker for that too!  Check out the schedule for an event near you!

[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

Nashville Stage

Huzzah! That's great! Thank you to those who made this happen.

Kennebago

YES!!!!!!!

Are these backdateable, or are all of us going to have to flop down on a mat and requalify?
Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

2 clicks low

I thought the patch after Rifleman was the Instructor Rocker, followed up by the Shoot Boss rocker?
Why has this changed?
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

maxwell

Quote from: 2 clicks low on January 04, 2018, 05:22:09 PM
I thought the patch after Rifleman was the Instructor Rocker, followed up by the Shoot Boss rocker?
Why has this changed?
2cl

Wait, we get rockers for those?!? I knew I was off my rocker around here! (also, is it a rocker if it's rectangular? My "long range" rocker is curved, presumably to go with the oval patch).