News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Navasota Texas DAR

Started by Scout, January 04, 2009, 02:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Steve in Navasota just called me to let me know that the buldozers will be showing up tomorrow to begin work on the Navasota location. he is investing around $10,000 in the work so he is really making an investment in his range and we are going to support his DAR with filled shoots every month. ;)

I want to thank him and to make sure the Navasota and Bryan College Station guys are ready to fill this DAR when it opens. He is going to be on board for the April 19th events and we want to run a March shoot there also to get any of the kinks out before the big event in April.

So make sure you have have a weekend in March ready and you have your calanders already marked for the April 19th event.

Thanks Steve!

PS- This second DAR in the same state, is brought to you by the same state that brought you the first DAR in the Appleseed Program, you are welcome ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

wcmartin1

Quote from: Scout on January 04, 2009, 02:52:49 PM
PS- This second DAR in the same state, is brought to you by the same state that brought you the first DAR in the Appleseed Program, you are welcome ;)

Git-R-Done!  O0
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

CaptG

I'll definitely be there for Apr 19 w/ at least 1 new recruit. If the Mar AS can be one of the last 2 weekends, I'll make that one too.
later
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

POP

Scout and Steve, and G and WC too,

Count me in.

can you post directions to the Navasota Appleseed.  I may drive through on my way to the Davilla Boot Camp in Feb.  would certainly like to see the progress and pick out my camping spot.

POP '70

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

funfaler

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Scout

Quote from: 76 Respiratory POP on January 04, 2009, 03:38:30 PM
Scout and Steve, and G and WC too,

Count me in.

can you post directions to the Navasota Appleseed.  I may drive through on my way to the Davilla Boot Camp in Feb.  would certainly like to see the progress and pick out my camping spot.

POP '70

Yes, I will post directions for it soon, but just google Millican, Texas for the ballpark location and then look for a large warehouse set off the road about 1/4 mile. The range will be right across the creek that is, I think, NE of the warehouse.
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

capnmac

Quote from: Scout on January 04, 2009, 03:47:41 PM
but just google Millican, Texas

For those under-familiar with southern Brazos county, Millican on FM 2154 just south of the Highway 159 intersection.

If you are heading north on Highway 6, look for the FM 2154 / Millican exit, but keep your eyes open as the signage is hidden in the highway construction.  If you miss it, the next westbound (to your left heading north) is 159. 

Reverse that if southbound on 6 (but the 159 intersection is much better marked, and more complete with overpass and the like all completed.

Note that 159 to 2154 is a two-lane winding road popular locally for persons wanting to corner at highway speed--it can be a fun drive.

For those coming in from the west, 159 meets up with 105 just after the Brazos river bridge.  While broadly winding, and having to occassionally share the road with heavy ag machinery, you are cutting a good 40-45 minutes off going into Navasota proper.

For those in B/CS proper, FM 2154 is much better known as Welborn road, and will offer as good a way to get to Millican (after one navigates the slowpokes around Greens Prairie & Fitch Parkway).

Millican has some historical significance, as it was the terminus for the railhead that delivered goods that then went down the Brazos to the sea.  The "fall" of Galveston in 1900, and the subsequent rise of the Port of Houston ended that era.

POP

capnmac

I spent a lot of time driving those old roads (at hwy speed) back in 67-71, friends who lived in Welborn while at A&M, old bridges across the Brazos ... brings back a lot of memories.

So, I'm looking forward to a nostalgic April 19,  seeing Riflemen I've come to know over the past year, and meeting new ones.

Thanks for the post.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Greg in MO

Outstanding!  I hope my fellow Aggies fill that range every month! 

Gig 'em!

Greg

capnmac

Quote from: 76 Respiratory POP on January 04, 2009, 09:44:31 PM
67-71, friends who lived in Welborn while at A&M, old bridges across the Brazos ... brings back a lot of memories.

Well, Welborn is no longer separate from South College Staion anymore.  It's built up to the old community center.

I'm going to go check on places for chow in Millican.  Lodging for an IBC or long AS is very available in Navasota, and also Brenham, as well as readily available in CS (if at a distinct premium).

txpirate

OOoooooo!!!!
I am excited. I have a good feeling that this will be a downhill snowball in Aggieland. We just have to push our little snowball to the top of the hill, first.
Capnmac, let me know if you need any help with the range. I am just a poor college student, but I could provide some manual labor.

Scout

Quote from: txpirate on January 06, 2009, 11:18:59 AM
OOoooooo!!!!
I am excited. I have a good feeling that this will be a downhill snowball in Aggieland. We just have to push our little snowball to the top of the hill, first.
Capnmac, let me know if you need any help with the range. I am just a poor college student, but I could provide some manual labor.

Start pushng now! Get folks signed up for the April 19th event now. Talk up the program and I will get you guys in touch with Steve so you can go and meet him and maybe help out on getting stuff set up for the upcoming shoot. I am sure he will need some help getting the range set up, getting the firing line set up etc.
BattleRoadUSA.com

CaptG

Feel free to holler at me also for any help. I'm down between Bellville & Sealy. My schedule is kind of screwy (4 days on & 4days off), but I can help when I'm off. PM me if you need anything.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

capnmac

Quote from: txpirate on January 06, 2009, 11:18:59 AM

Me, I'm just a semi-employed person with much local knowledge of Brazos County.  My present first priority is finding steady M-F employment; I'm not really involved in the DAR development (but I do have to drive thorugh south Brazos County about 1-2 times a week to the p/t job, so I can do things like scout out amenities near the soon-to-be range).

You might want to PM Scout and ask if the folks in Millican need help.

CaptG

Scout or Steve, definitely post something when this location is avail to be prepaid on eventbrite. I'll be there.
G
Winston Churchill

BDG

Navasota eh... well, thats just west of Plantersville which hosts the Renaissance Festival. Cool. I'm looking forward to this location as well as the one Pop is working on. Again, a shorter drive for me is a good thing. :) Plus, I have a good Engineer buddy in Houston which I think I can talk into going so he can learn all about what we teach at AS.
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

Fred

Yes, a definite tip of the hat to both Scout and Steve. They are far more than "one in a million" - they are two in twenty-three million (yes, I have reason to remember the population of certain states - Texas and KY are two I keep in mind).

Two small candles that stand out even more, in the universe of darkness that comprises the other 22.9999 million Texans (less a few RWVA instructors).

Having my "Texas-bashing" partly under control, I will say no more... @)

Except that when we are "done" in Texas, I expect there will be thousands of DARs. And millions of Riflemen. O Wonderful Day! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

mrt53

Yellow iron was delayed by much needed rain this week. Dozer and scraper are moved in, and we will start on Monday. Looks like we will move at least 5000 yards to set the main range (25 meters) x 400 feet . I will be also be building a long distance range for those that qualify as rifleman at 100, 200, 300, and 600 yards. Hey Scout hows about a Garand match? We should have it roughed in in about 10 work days. We are listed as Navasota DAR, and have a Millican P.O. Box. We are at the (city) limits of Cawthon. Lets see who has fond memories of Cawthon.  #) Anyone who needs info my email is steve@south-tex.com. I am extremely busy in my real life, and do not get to respond quickly. Please bear with me if I do not respond right away.

Thanks

Steve

capnmac

Yeah, these first two weeks of January have been tough ones for earthwork.  Goes from Too hot to to cold with either not enough rain, or too much--and usually just enough to create a "rain day" and put all the work behind.

Thanks for the location heads-up, too.

For those coming out of Bryan/College Station on 2154, turn right on 159 to head into Cawthon.

For those heading east on 105, definitely take 159, Cawthon is just past Allenfarm (watch for ag machinery on the road).

For those coming north on 6, it's a toss up.  With construction on 6 just north of Navasota, it's about the same travel to take 105 west through Navasota, then around on 159, as it is to slow-poke up 6 in construction traffic.  Whether it is better to take 2154, which is winding & 2 lane to 159, or to stay on 6 to 159, will depend on experience and external conditions (like construction traffic).  Saturday mornings will be worse for construction traffic (not so much when I often drive by at either 0500 or 2100).

One more note for you who are new to driving in the area.  Please, please, note the construction zone speed limits.  There's the stretch from Navasota to 159, which is posted 55.  There is also a run on 2154 from Rock Prairie to the south side of Wellborn--it's 45 mph.  These limits are rigourously enforced, and they really mean it when the fines double if any worker is present.  Also, it's a giant inconvenience for everyone else when a person gets pulled over, as there are few spots to get off the road (and Texas law requires you to slow to 25 going past the squad car in such two-lane situations, too).

(Yes, I've stuck in such traffic, it's frustrating.)  Be safe out there.

CaptG

Any status updates? I'm holding off registering for Apr 19 till I see if this site will be up. Still availalbe to help if needed.
Guy
Winston Churchill

Scout

Yes G, thhis will be an April 19th location and I believe Dean McCormick will be SBing the shoot that weekend. It will have to wait until paperwork gets in to go green on the board ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

oldgrunt

Say it aint soooo...DEANO'S alive and is the shoot boss .OUTSTANDING O0 !!!!!!Dont miss the chance of being in the presents of Greatness folks...The Lewis Black of the Appleseed shooting world..oh boy your in for a fun time ..And those sweet smellin Stooooogies .. Get em dean :~..... AS only he can say "WITH 10 ROUNDS LOAD....."
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

POP

Yeah, Baby!  and I'll be there with Dean as Red Hat.
Matt, too.  Others ready to make it a success as well.
Dean is not alone.

Exciting times for the Ghosts of the Contental Army!

If you IITs haven't signed on already to another shoot for April 19 sign on to Navasota DAR now. 

POP '70
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

metalbot

Except for those of you IIT's in Houston.  I'm going to need you there.

Marc

Davilla 1108

POP

Those of you who were not at the January Davilla missed a great shoot.

The thirty five G forty five mile per hour wind head on did not wrestle the shooters out of their bubble?  Yeah, that's right.  and we had three new riflemen.

Same with the cold that us South Texas Boys 'just ain't used to.'  But, we can handle it.

The most memorable experience of the weekend and learning part for me was watching Mr. metalbot earn his Red Hat.  As Line Boss he is smooth and commanding as you would want your Line Boss to be.  While instructing the orange hat on demonstrating shooting positions he was smooth and by the book and he talked in a conversational tone that had everyone's attention.  Marc ran the shoot in a very timely manner.  And, Marc did a superb job of telling all three strikes. 

All that to say if you're an IIT and haven't already signed up for a shoot, give some serious thought to working with Marc.  You'll be glad you did. 

Last I checked, though, didactic is still SB for the new Navasota DAR on April 19.  You will enjoy being in the presence of that great Rifleman as well.  I plug for Dean because I want to make sure he has plenty of help so he doesn't have to do it all.

BTW, where is the Houston shoot being held?

Thanks for the post, Marc.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

socalserf

TEXAS LEADS THE WAY!!!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

CaptG

Any new news? Is it up on eventbrite yet?
Chompin at the bit,
Guy

3 Mar. ???
Winston Churchill

POP

Guy,

I just looked at the 2009 schedule.
Sorry, Navasota/College Station is not Green yet!

HOWEVER, I do have some very good news.

CORPUS CHRISTI is GREEN for
April 18-19
May 16-17
June 20-21

Yeah, I am looking forward to Navasota and had planned to instruct at the April 19 event there.  I am not sure what is holding it up.

Meanwhile, Scout asked me if I could get the range here in Corpus Christi for April in addition to the May and June.  So, it is DONE.

Navasota must be less than an hour's drive for you.  Davilla is still closer for you than CC.  But, we'd sure like to have you help us inaugurate Appleseed here.  In honor of Appleseed's first shoot in CC the Navy Blue Angels  @) will be here; we will have our own private air show right over the range and OSO Bay.   ::) Well actually the Blue Angels are here for the annual air show for Naval Station Corpus Christi.  But they do a lot of turns and formations over the range to head back to the air field. 

We have plenty of camping, and some really fine seafood and mexican food restaurants are nearby.

Good to hear you are ready for the next shoot.  BTW, are you going to Davilla February Boot Camp?  If so, CU There!

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

CaptG

HUZZfreakingZAH,
It's on eventbrite, & I'm signed up ;D ;D ;D. Hopefully I'll have at least 2 more signed on by tomorrow. I had another friend commit today after he & I both shot his new AR for the first time.

I saw that primitive onsite camping is available, I'm hoping the truck camper will be ok.

Later
Guy
Winston Churchill

mrt53

Captg,

Finally looks like it is a go. Truck camping is ok as long as you realize that you will be in the middle of a pasture. Hope you do not mind cows. Welcome aboard.

Steve