News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Navasota Texas DAR

Started by Scout, January 04, 2009, 02:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcmartin1

Couple of flyers for y'all here.  One that was auto-generated from the EIP and another one for March.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=3029.msg56156#msg56156
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

POP

Thanks Bill.   O0

And Guy,

I just looked at the 2009 schedule.  As you point out ...
Navasota/College Station IS now Green for March and April. 
Huzzah  :~

Looks like Sally and I will see you at the March Navasota.  Scout is SB, and txpirate, stimey, myself, and others will be there to instruct.  Your buddies will forever thank you for the invitation and getting them to be there.

:o Shocking News ... Re: the Navasota DAR accommodations ... sounds a bit rustic, not primitive.  But, Navasota does make Davilla look like a 5 star hotel by comparison.  ^-^  Just think about Washington wintering over at Valley Forge.  Bring plenty of OFF, 'Tick Off' that is!  !@#) **) ^-^ **)  ... Getting closer to my kind of camping. **)

Don't forget, HOWEVER, about CORPUS CHRISTI.
April 18-19
May 16-17
June 20-21
We'd sure like to have you bring your buds and come to one of our shoots.  How 'bout May 16?  Yeah, bring your big truck camper. O0

And, Steve, Sally and I are looking forward to meeting you, Sir.  Sounds like a 5 star range you have built.  :~  O0  :~

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

CaptG

I've got to work Mar 22, but i'm gonna try & run out for the Sat half of the Mar shoot. See ya'll there.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

mrt53

The directions are not quite correct. Here are the correct directions:

From College Station proceed south on US 6 to hwy. 159 south to Millican. Follow 159 south 2.5 miles to four way stop in Millican. Continue straight 4.2 miles to Cawthon. Turn right on crushed limestone road just before Cawthon sign by red building on right . Proceed 1.5 miles to range.

From Navasota proceed north on US 6 to F.M. 2154. Turn left and go 5.1 miles to four way stop in Millican. Turn left and go 4.2 miles to Cawthon. Turning right as above.

From Brenham proceed east on hwy. 105 to hwy. 159 just past Brazos river. Turn left on hwy. 159 and proceed 9.5 miles to Cawthon. Turn left just past Cawthon sign and red building on left.

wcmartin1

Quote from: mrt53 on March 20, 2009, 11:14:29 AM
The directions are not quite correct. Here are the correct directions:

From College Station proceed south on US 6 to hwy. 159 south to Millican. Follow 159 south 2.5 miles to four way stop in Millican. Continue straight 4.2 miles to Cawthon. Turn right on crushed limestone road just before Cawthon sign by red building on right . Proceed 1.5 miles to range.

From Navasota proceed north on US 6 to F.M. 2154. Turn left and go 5.1 miles to four way stop in Millican. Turn left and go 4.2 miles to Cawthon. Turning right as above.

From Brenham proceed east on hwy. 105 to hwy. 159 just past Brazos river. Turn left on hwy. 159 and proceed 9.5 miles to Cawthon. Turn left just past Cawthon sign and red building on left.

Directions on the flyers were corrected on March 10th - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=3029.msg56156#msg56156

Directions on the EIP were just corrected today (sorry, I though this had already been done) - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6056.0

All preregistered shooters were sent an email with the corrected directions today as well.

Hopefully this covers it, Sir.

Cheers.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

capnmac

Be advised that 159 south of the venue, from just south of Allen Farm to almost all the way to 105 is under major construction.  All of the roadmetal is stripped away to the raw subgrade.  It's one-way, flagman controlled traffic along the route.  This can be a long wait.  Note too, that the dust has a high concentration of portland and lime in it, which can be right sticky on your vehicle, if that is an issue.

They should be paved by April 19, but it's a tad rough right now.

big 54r

I am going to Navasota for the AS on April 18/19 and looks like the hotels/motels in the area are full.
Is there something going on this coming weekend that would make it hard to find a hotel/motel in Navasota?
I don't have camping equipment so that would be a bummer if I couldn't get a hotel/motel somewhere close to the range and the AS.

Any help those here could provide would be appreciated, so far know one has responded to my situation with help or advice about the area!

Stimey

I responded to you on the other thread, but I'll elaborate here on hotel availability.  Navasota's not a big town, so I don't think there are many hotel rooms to begin with.  On the other hand, there is spotty availability in Bryan/College Station sometimes, depending on activities at A&M.  I don't have an explanation for you as to why you are having trouble finding a room, but it is possible that the Aggies are hosting a spring baseball tournament that weekend (if that is where you were looking).  If you can't find anything in B/CS, try Brenham.  If that doesn't work out either, shoot me a PM and we'll come up with something else.

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

POP

Way to go Stimey!   ^-^

hopefully one of you can loan big 54r a tent.  shouldn't be too hot this time of year.

big 54r, if there is any way you can camp with the group you will know why I recommend doing that.  besides not having to drive back and forth there is the camaraderie angle that you will always remember. 

I hope you get to camp on site.  The campsite overlooking the lake is scenic (and alonso1, I'm serious about that, no kidding   **)).  You'll be glad you did.

So, come on Appleseeders, help out 'big 54r.'   &)

Have a great weekend.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

big 54r

I finally found a hotel! whew, last room they had too! <:)

thanx guy's for trying to help I appreciate it!  O0 but i'm in.

Also I don't expect this to be my last AS shoot so i'll probably be camping out on some others just not this one while the wife is still feeling iffy.

capnmac

Next weekend, April 19-20 is Parent's Weekend over in Aggieland.  It's a bigday on campus, if less so off.  It's the day that all of next year's positions in the Corps of Cadets are announced; so there's a Review to go with that.
It's also the weekend we are hosting nebraska in ncaa baseball, and the children of the corn bring fans in buckets.

There's an itty bitty B&B on 105 just a mile or two south of its intersection with 105--but, I'm still trying to check on them.

Sadly, I'm off in the other direction, to Arlington, and will not able to enjoy y'all's company, sad to say.

CaptG

Just arrived 1930. Alone so far.The mud ain't that bad. Come on!
;D ;D ;D
Guy

Steve came down & checked on me a while ago. He said they'd had a little more than an inch of rain.  8) So if you're worried about the weather :-\, come on! You've all been wet before and the ranchers need the rain :) :).

Come on, I'll have coffe going in the morning.

G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

POP

G man,
I'll be there  ^-^ in spirit.

College Station reported right at 3 inches of rain today.  So, Steves theory that the Cawthorn Cartridge Club is in the 'bermuda triangle' that doesn't have the same weather as everyone else around them must be true.

Mostly dry here in Corpus as of this writing.

Have a great shoot!

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
Waterman 300 9/11/10

ItsMichelleNotMichael

I attended the Navasota Appleseed Shoot --- downpour and all, it was a great weekend. I'll be back...after I practice on my new (and not pink) .22

Thank you, Steve, Scout, Top and Matt!!!!

MiChal

natlmatch

What's the news on the College Station range? After having an absolutely wonderful time at the inaugural event, I was sure we would see almost monthly "shoots" here?

Regards,

NM

Aromatic

I think there is a break for the hot months.  Have you been to Davilla?

Scout

I will get in touch with Steve and find out when he can host another event ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

natlmatch

Aromatic...good point!  :)

Scout....Thanks Sir!

mrt53

Just sent in the Fall schedule:

Sept. 12&13

Oct.  17&18

Nov.   7&8

Steve

Aromatic

Scout

Now that you know what the Navasota DAR dates are, please take a moment to go to the instructors schedule and make sure you have your names filled in for the events you can handle. The Navasota location has full distance and we will be shooting full distance on Sundays there.

If you are planning to attend this event as a shooter, PLEASE go to  http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm and preregister for these events. Also know that this will be an April 19th 2010 weekend location and plan ahead for this-it is sneaking up on us as we speak.
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

natlmatch

See you guys Oct 17 and 18th...cant wait!!!     :D

If anyone knows a person who dosen't have a rifle but would like to come to the College Station, TX AS, I'll be bringing a spare LTR with sling, ammo and shooting mat (piece of carpet) for them to use. Please coordinate with me here so others know if/when it gets spoken for.  ;)

Regards,

NM

PS. Its the one of the bottom (incase you were wondering  ;D ) but it'll have a G.I. sling instead of that uncle Mike's mini 1917 sling. Also, I can scope it very easily if need be.

mrt53

NM,

Thanks for the response. A good time will be had by all.   :D

Thanks,

Steve

natlmatch

I tried talking my friend and her husband into going, she declined but I managed to convince him into coming along. I tried to explain that bringing a .22 (since its his first time out) is a good idea but hes insisting on bringing his FNFAL hehehhehe.   ^-^

natlmatch

Quote from: mrt53 on October 06, 2009, 11:51:39 PM
NM,

Thanks for the response. A good time will be had by all.   :D

Thanks,

Steve

MrT53,

You have to stop mowing that grass so nice or your gonna spoil us with that "country club" treatment LOL!!

While driving home my friend asked "who the guy on the 4-wheeler" was, I told him "hes the guy we owe a BIG thanks too for letting us use his beautiful range". My friend replied "Well heck If I knew that I would have shook his hand and thanked him proper". I told him I would pass that on to ya.

Regards,

NM

The_VIKING

I attended the 11/7-8 event @ Steve's place!  He pointed my wife & me to a VERY nice camping spot under some very large & old oak trees near his 30acre lake.  awesome sunrise/sunsets, coytoes yipping, owls hooting...oh yeah!!!  Grand time had by my wife & me!  O0
The range was a very nice set up.  :~

Had a chance to chat w/ Steve a couple of times.  He dropped by our camp site, chkd in on us & made sure everything was ok.  Was greeted by the cows in the am...2000# cow standing about 15yds from your window going, "mooooooooo"!   ;D

Great place Steve!!!  thnx a ton for the hospitality & looking fwd to MANY more visits!
"Remember one thing, your government needs you more than you need your government."
USAF '87-'93 Ground Rat
Remover of the Berlin Wall