News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor Boot Camp

Started by PHenry, May 22, 2017, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Quotethere are a great many red hats that could use the refresher

And some MIs as well. I study hard for these events - I study what former MI Juniorbirdman put to paper 10 years ago. Early on JB created what he called his "CLR" - like the stuff that removes rust from pipes. He said we could all use to knock the rust off prior to an event. He was one of the best instructors I have ever seen and even he needed a refresher - we all do. In order to maintain standards, we need perfect practice!   

OK, we got a killer venue and a good date - time to ring the bell and get the word out. Calling all IITs and any red hat who wants to spend some time with great people. Let's roll!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

300blackoutguy

Hi all,
Someone please give me the particulars on this adventure known as the "Instructor path".
I have completed 2 qualifying scores and the last time I did someone (umm  Minutemom) Mentioned it. Is this part of the path...
Considering joining this cadre of like minded folks and wanted some information........
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul."

B.C.

Quote from: 300blackoutguy on July 03, 2017, 12:33:18 PM
Hi all,
Someone please give me the particulars on this adventure known as the "Instructor path".
I have completed 2 qualifying scores and the last time I did someone (umm  Minutemom) Mentioned it. Is this part of the path...
Considering joining this cadre of like minded folks and wanted some information........

Hi Sir, I was in Gainesville and saw you score awhile back. We would be happy to plug an orange hat on you and point you the way to glory. If you can drive over to the shoot in St Augustine this coming next weekend I have a hat and a handshake for you!

Here is a link to the St Augustine shoot:

https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=785&eventid=5445

PM me on the forum with any questions. If you can make it over next weekend I can walk you through the whole process.

Chris
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Minutemom

Yeaaaahhhhhh 300blackoutguy!  Come on and join the cadre!  You won't regret it!!  I know BC offered to help you out - I would be happy to as well if you can't make it to the shoot this weekend.  And yes, you should plan on coming to the IBC in October - it will make you a better instructor.  You don't have to be an instructor to sign up.  Just go to the events page where you would sign up for a regular shoot and sign up.  There's no cost!!  What are you waiting for?
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

rambo granny

Indeed huzzah 300blackoutguy. Being an instructor is a very rewarding challenge. By teaching others within the Appleseed venue, you will find that it does improve ones own shooting &  this is the BEST vehicle for spreading the message of Liberty. You also get to hang out with some uber fantastic folks:Appleseeders!
We welcome you sir!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

minnesotarabit

Please remind the up and coming Blue Hats that are looking at the Orange Hat on the horizon that they too are allowed to attend IBC and it helps them immensely take care of things including RSO qual at events. We need more up and coming Orange Hats, so this is a great source of new leaders coming up.

I hear Lady Liberty, and she is sobbing...

minnesotarabit
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

minnesotarabit

And 300blackoutguy, you will never regret the decision nor look back!
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

Marquis de M

Ok all,

forgive my ignorance, what do I have to bring along to an IBC except the manual? Rifle and ammo seem superfluous? We just running mock drills, telling the three strikes, IMC, etc.?
Does performance there count for graduating to another level?

Thank you for enlightening me!

Best,
Jerry2017
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

TheMenace

Good Morning Jerry2017,
Check out the FAQ page in TIPS for more info about the IBC.
https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/faq.php#events05
It doesn't hurt to bring your rifle, ammo and other shooting gear. You may get a chance to shoot--certainly if you arrive on Friday.
Otherwise you will need personal comfort items such as bug spray, sunscreen, hat, rain gear, light jacket, folding chair, plus camera, notebook and pencils. You may want to audio record some of the presentation too.
Come well rested with your running shoes on--the weekend goes way too fast!
Cheers!
Dennis
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

PHenry

minnesotarabit,
Please feel free to attend the IBC. I hear amazing things about you.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

300blackoutguy

Bummer :-[ Found out that I have a prior commitment on Sat.
Working on the RBC in Jan!!
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul."

minnesotarabit

Am signed up for both IBC and AC/RSO. Will be staying at Smoak's. Let me know what needs brought for vik'tils. So looking forward to meeting the illustrious three'oeight and pHenry finally! as well as some of the rest of the FL cadre.

Huzzah!

minnesotarabit

PHenry

"Illustrious"? Short, nasal voice, talks too much - sure, I've heard all of them many times, but illustrious - that's a first for me.  ^-^

Lord willin - will do my best to earn your kind words.
PH

TomM1Thumb

To all of those going to the IBC at Smoak's Place, If You have a firearm, that is unusual, strange, or one that You have no Idea how it works, Please Bring it with You, Saturday evening is a great time to ask or brag about such things. We have some very knowledgeable People Who can Identify just about anything.

You will learn a whole lot of things. and have fun doing so.

Besides You will get to meet, or renew Your friendships with Your Appleseed Brothers and Sisters.

You may even have Fun.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

minnesotarabit

pHenry - yup, heard lots of good things about you. Got you beat on attending, though, DrJohn got me through IBC quite a while back. I am coming to refresh and spend quality time with some of my close friends and fellow patriots. I am hoping some of the other Blue Hats will take a hint we need more female orange hats!!

Let me know about chow, ya'll.

JustKim

I really need to check the forum more often!  I am already committed to the shoot in Pensacola that week-end -- would LOVE to attend and I am off on Monday so would work out great for us since it's a long drive.  If Pensacola doesn't see more shooters sign-up may try to make the IBC - can always use an IBC and Smoak's place is awesome!  Won't know 'til last minute though - last Pensacola shoot - there was very few signed up and then at the last minute we ended up with a full line.  Look forward to having some opportunities to work with some of your southerners!!!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

PHenry

OK, we are gettin close. Working on details now. Looks like Henry has a turkey fryer for making Archie's famous "low country boil". I have a roll of white paper for serving. All we need is a recipe and someone with a clue how to do it. I can also bring at least two gas burners for cooking breakfast. Need to know who might be interested in communal dining for breakfast Sat & Sun, as well as dinner Sat night. I don't know if Archie will make this one - he has been working in PA. I can get recipe from him and the how to do it right (all about the order you add the raw food to the boiling water as I recall - potatoes first and seafood last.

So chime in - who wants to eat?  ^-^

stoneknives

"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

smoakingun

Trey, I have a cooker, huge pot, big burner, and the manhole cover of awesomeness to cook on.
I have guilted cable guy into coming to cook. we got the basics covered. Feel free to show up friday, and we'll plan meals from there
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

Marquis de M

I'm in for all meals, but can't have curry or anything made from grapes (vinegar, wine, Sherry, etc.).

Address: ? Can't find it in any message.

Lodging: Please confirm that there is a space for my air mattress somewhere inside, I don't have camping gear.

Time: gotta work Fri until 6pm at minimum, not sure I'll be making the drive Fri evening, so might arrive late AM on Sat from Tampa Bay Area, apologies.
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

Savage22

Jerry2017, the address and directions are posted on the 'Info' page for the event. Go to the home page, click on 'Events', then 'Find Events', then Florida., then click on the 'Info' link.
They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

Cable___Guy

This is going to be great, Teacherteach the baby and I will be up friday night. I am always willing to cook for a crowd , Smoake and I threw down some darn good chili last time.
I will bring a cooler full of meat , between all of us I am sure we can make a feast that will meat everyone's needs.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

stoneknives

"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

TheMenace

Ditto what Stoneknives said! I can eat, prep and clean up.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Timber Wolf

Good morning!  I am really (really) looking forward to coming down Friday and seeing old and new faces at the IBC.  We (Pearl- the-dog and I) should be rolling in Friday afternoonish with the little camper.  Please let me know if there is anything food or equipment wise I can bring.  Any projects around the place that might need tools?  Chainsaw, etc.?   

PHenry

Ok, so we have a loose plan. Steve works for Publix and has offered to bring any food we need, so long as he gets reimbursed. Dwight is wounded and cannot do much, but wants to help with cooking if needed.

We also need a head count for dinner Sat night. I'll be bringing some cook gear to make breakfast and lunch for my own "bird-boy" diet.

Huzaaah!

PHenry

To all Melrose IBC attendees and instructors,

I will attach a couple of "cheat sheets" to help us be ready. Please print them out and study up (I am). Believe it or not, there is a SOP for all points of instruction at Appleseeds events. It was all laid down by the original master instructors corps long ago. While the SB has some latitude (shoot boos discretion), when it comes to demos and even announcing the AQT - there is a specific procedure intended to maximize simplicity and retention. I've been around long enough to have see how the people who created the program did it and I always do my best to pass it on the same way I was taught.

Things like "booger hook on the bang switch" or "Captain Hook trigger finger", while entertaining, are not a part of what we do. It is a distraction at best. At worst, it reduces retention in the student and the number of people who will make score at an event.

Look forward to seeing everyone.
PH

stoneknives

Printed 50 each of the cheat sheets for IBC. One less thing to worry about.

Guntuckian

Is the IBC still on?  The National Hurricane Center has Melrose smack dab on the dirty side of Category 1 Hurricane Nate forecast for Sunday morning at 8 AM.  Lots of flooding, wind, and rain is forecast.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Timber Wolf

I am going to continue to monitor the weather, but am leaning toward not heading out on the road this weekend.