News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The American's Creed

Started by 3rdguard, January 02, 2017, 08:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdguard

I came across the below and thought that it might be useful to some of the instructors.

The American's Creed

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek opportunity to develop whatever talents God gave me - not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence: the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid: to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say - 'This, with God's help. I have done.'
All this is what it means to be an American."

William Tyler Page, 1917

Resolution passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on 3 April 1918
"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."

Excerpt from Alexander Hamilton's Letter of Instruction to Commanding Officers of the Revenue Cutters

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ITB

You've got things a little mixed up. 

The "Creed" you quoted is actually from Dean Alfange, sometimes mistakenly attributed to Thomas Paine as the Entrepreneur's Creed.

The actual American's Creed by Page is this:

I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon these principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

American's Creed

Dean Alfange's Creed

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

P7

Thanks, ITB .  Just saw this for the first time.

We found a copy of this in my Great-great-great-uncle's things.  He was a Civil War veteran.

Bradley "Brad" Foster (P7)

313-549-4956
bradley.foster@appleseedinfo.org

"The great object is that every man be armed."  - Patrick Henry