Author Topic: First-ever Event Fired by the brand new RWVA on the Home Range! [March 19, 2005]  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Fred

• Founder and AOC Member
  • Master Instructor
[Note the mention of the "new" Appleseed program, before it was even announced to the rest of the world in the pages of Shotgun News!]

Match Report: Rapid Fire Marksmanship Clinic - March 19, 2005

An exciting day at the old range [the range was nearly 13 years old when taken over by the brand-new RWVA - in fact, the RWVA would not be officially in existence for another month! [CORRECTION: I'm off a year on this! RWVA was officially in existence in April of the year before this event and, it being true that the first event on the range was held in March 2004, it would have been before the formation of the RWVA - but it was not this one - sorry for my confusion on this point.] as Fred, Charles from Alabama, and Joe from NC set a new range record in the Counterattack event - ONE minute and 22 seconds! Whoa! Thought it was a marksmanship clinic! Yes, it was.

The RWVA Riflemanship Clinic (Rapid Fire) to be precise, on a nice day for shooting, clear, temp in 50s, with 20 guys eager to learn how to shoot better - and faster! The first thing we learned is 'rapid fire' is about different things: It's about speeding up the interval between target detection and first shot; shortening the intervals between shots to under three seconds; and shortening the interval from the last shot in one magazine to the first shot in the next magazine.

So, after starting off with the dreaded AQT (the 'jelly-maker' it's been called, as grown men's knees turn to jelly when they have to face it) - and Sherry shot her first 'higher that 200 points' score at RWVA - note the 'HER', guys - we started shooting drills to improve rapidity of fire.

The One-Shot Drill: Stand, load one round, start the clock, drop to prone, fire the round. Repeated five times on the same target, so you have a five shot group. Goal is to reduce the time from 15 secs of the average person down to ten seconds, while being able to hold all your shots to the Rifleman 4 MOA standard, which means you have to consistently reacquire your NPOA to do it.

Then the Four-Shot Drill: Starting in position with a 2-rd loaded mag, fire and reload with another 2-rd mag, in a time of under 20 seconds. This polishes mag changing skills.

But before we did those drills, we [used] the 'Rifleman's Old Friend', the ball-and-dummy drill, first to detect flinching - and a few guys found out what they did not know they were doing - and then to cure it. Ball-and-Dummy - the All Purpose Cure, for the Rifleman. Learn it. Love it. Do it. Often!

The key to acquiring rapid fire (defined as between 20 and 40 rds per minute) is intelligent practice, and every participant received a "Rapid Fire Drills" card listing the 1-, 2-, 4-, 7- and 10-shot drills to take to the range when he gets home. We finished up with the Rapid Fire AQT - with 2 20-rd mags loaded, the clock starts - you rapid-fire the ten shots Stage 1 standing; without further command, drop to sitting and fire the Stage 2; without further command, drop to prone and fire the Stage 3 prone; and without further command continue to fire the slow-fire prone. A few people actually scored higher on the RF AQT than on the regular AQT, because, no doubt, your knees don't have time to turn to jelly - you're too busy firing 20 rds/min at targets that gradually get the size of postage stamps!

As has become something of a tradition, after a day of hard work learning, we repaired to the 500-yard Range 1 and took on the popups at 200 and 300 yards, first in the individual speed shoot, then in the team Counterattack event. Our new buddy Charles from Alabama won the 'longest distance traveled prize - where was the buddy from Big MO?

People leave the clinic with different skill levels but with the admonition if they practice the drills, if they persist, they will learn, and they will be better shooters. And, as part of the new Appleseed program, they are encouraged to learn the skills today, teach 'em tomorrow. To make more riflemen. To return home, and make a difference. To start an apple tree. To be a Johnny Appleseed. More Riflemen. Good for you. Good for me. Good for the country.

Photo 1 - Doing it the old way - on the firing line, battle rifles loaded and ready, just before transitioning to sitting!

Photo 2 - Rare early shot of "Widowmaker" - Fred's favorite M1A

Photo 3 - At the target line, adding up "who's a rifleman?" :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:29:32 AM by Fred »
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Offline ID_Hezekiah

• Instructor In Training 3
Nice write-up, nice photos.  But, errr, ahh... in the first photo - should the first shooter have a magazine inserted "pre-transition?"
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Offline hawkeye

• RWVA Instructor
This is preAppleseed , the rules at RWVA were different and these are seasoned shooters. I went to a few of the field shoots with my brother around 1997 or so, they were a lot of fun. I remember the history lessons and the cheap surplus ammo. I only had one Garand back then.   
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Offline AFTERMATH

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
Nice write-up, nice photos.  But, errr, ahh... in the first photo - should the first shooter have a magazine inserted "pre-transition?"

Hey, I remember loaded transitions!  I'm not that old, am I?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Offline colycat

• Master Instructor, Central Plains coordinator
  • Master Instructor
  • Willing to go down range
I have pictures, anyone want to see them?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Offline Fred

• Founder and AOC Member
  • Master Instructor

Ab-so-lute-ly! Post 'em here, for posterity! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Offline PHenry

• SouthEast Regional Coordinator
  • Master Instructor
  • 2A - The Original Homeland Security
Loaded transitions? That's crazy talk.  ^-^

I recall clearly railing against the change as an instructor, but in the early days it was near all hairly-legged men, with .30 that had been shooting most of their lives. As the lines filled with (thankfully) new shooters - many truly new and lots of kids, well, changes had to be made and I eventually accepted it as best for safety and continuation of the program.

But, I do now and again recall the good old days of eyes closed star target NPOA drills and loaded transitions.

Aftermath - no sin in being around for a long time and still serving a worthy cause right? Lord, I hope not - mea culpa.

Here's a pic of Fred at FL first event in Jan 2007. They had 40 pre-regs and 112 showed up. I though nuttin of the guy driving the bull dozer, or Fred, Riflewoman, JB and Hollywood running around. Can u imagine expecting 40 and getting 112? I think JB drove - Lord knows how they found enough targets. I still have the name tag Riflewoman made up on my mirror at home.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:17:25 PM by PHenry »
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Offline The Old Guide

• Shoot Boss
I had an M-14 with a particularly nice wood stock so I sent away to Fred for a fiberglass stock that I could dig into the gravel with. Along with the very nice fiberglass stock I got Fred's "stack of stuff" including the famous yellow sheet about talking targets. I thought it was brilliant. Still do. Second day shooters go "Oh, yeah. Now I get it." NPOA folks. Some of the "stuff" in the stack is no longer mentioned as times change, but I joined the RWVA. There was no mention of Appleseed at the time so it must have been 2004 or earlier.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13