News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru, CA Appleseed January 17-18, 2008

Started by Johnnyappleseed, December 26, 2008, 02:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Here's your chance to shoot at the new RWVA-Piru range and check out one of the first Designated Appleseed Ranges in the country. Be one of the first to shoot at this range in 2009.

If you weren't able to make any of the previous Piru Appleseeds, here's another opportunity.

So bring your friends, bring your family, bring your coworkers, and immerse yourself in the heritage that is Rifle Marksmanship in America!!!!

This will also be the first Appleseed at the Designated Appleseed range in 2009, which means that the winning ticket will be drawn for the Frontsite Membership. If you attended an Appleseed, in CA, in the last few months, come out and see if you won!

Get in those pre-reg's for the upcoming January 17-18, 2009 Piru, CA Appleseed. This gives us an idea of how many instructors to have available to be able to properly cover the line, let alone get an accurate count of targets, t-shirts, hand-outs, etc.

So who is coming to the Piru, CA Appleseed January  17-18, 2009 and have you pre-reg'ed yet?  This event has a 50 shooter capacity limit, so make sure you reserve your place before it fills up! Here is the link to pre-register: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4047.0

Remember....it costs $45 for one day and $70 for two days if you pre-reg and it now costs $50 for one day and $80 for two days if you don't pre-reg.

If you don't have a Rifle, don't let that stop you. We have loaners available. Just bring along a brick (500 rounds) of .22 ammo and let us know you need one. Email Johnnyappleseed at JohnnyAPL308@aol.com to let us know and we will arrange it.

P.S. Ammo that attracts a magnet is prohibited at this range.

See you out at Piru!
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

SKYTTE

I attended the December Piru, CA Appleseed.  Gave my Saiga 7.62 a good workout!  I heard that there were going to be pictures posted.  Does anyone know if they were posted and where?

bob 210

Pm sent, but you can find the pictures here at the After Action Report (AAR): http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4867.0
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

SavageShootr

Only nine days remaining until the Piru Appleseed. We only have six people signed up at this time. We can do better. I know more people than that need to learn how to shoot. If you don't think you need to learn how to shoot, come out and listen to some Heritage and get some good trigger time anyway.

Let's get the word out and get those numbers up. I know we have the upcoming Ventura Gun Show. We need to get out there and promote the upcoming Appleseed at Piru.

Johnnyappleseed and I will also be at Angeles range on Saturday the 11th if anyone is interested in coming out. We always have fun when some of our fellow Appleseeders come out and shoot with us.

So who is coming to the Piru, CA Appleseed January 17-18?

I know I will be there.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

SamD

Theres like 9.4 million people living within 50 miles of Piru and they only got 6 pre regs for the shoot.

Maybe teh list isn't updated yet right ;) because El Paso has 8 signed up and only like 1/12th the population.
I'll admit WestTx had to go scrape a few up in babershops and dance halls but he's just a 1 man effort.

Someone go down to Port Hueneme and grab a few stray sailors to fill out the line. ;D

V

Well, Webdancer, Rick and I, handed out 100 Piru flyers plus swat reprints at the Ventura Gun show today. Just copied up another 100 at Kinko's for tomorrow when Webdancer, SavageShooter and I will repeat.

I even managed to handout some more Sacramento flyers :~ to people with out of town relatives up there...

Also Bob and Hollywood marine dropped around and walked the show. Pushed a few flyers for Santa Barbara.

Cheers
V

V

Quote from: SamD on January 10, 2009, 07:43:24 PM
Theres like 9.4 million people living within 50 miles of Piru and they only got 6 pre regs for the shoot.
Yeah  but there are 9.399994 million couches as well....

SamD

Drive out to teh power plant and tell Homer to pull the  plug on the ball game O0

LayloPro

**)
Nice idea Sam, but these sofa-taters out here would call that a "terrorist act", unplugging their ball game mid stream...... ++) $$-0

Seriously, we're just starting to scratch the surface, but the vast majority of folks out here are not what I consider "ground floor Appleseeders"..... we've got to dig those folks out of the hills they've gone underground in......and that does take a bit of time, even with our willing & enthusiastic volunteers.......  @@)

Besides, one of these attendees will be my son, out from Wy, out here to show off his new baby girl........he's ready to go, & is trying to see if he can get a buddy from Edwards AFB to show up too.....I don't think he knows too many folks over @ Hueneme, even tho' it is mostly USAF now..... ;D

Word of mouth, is what it still boils down to......we had a couple of guys from last Corona shoot in Dec say they had heard "some fella" on Alex Jones radio, & thought what they heard him talking about, on top of what they had heard before from other folks, made it worthwhile to "check it out".......GREAT JOB!!! O0

Our advertising is something that really needs to be addressed this year, as well as funding for it.....I'm looking into some of this my own self, and not just for Cali either..... 8) But the word of mouth for gun folks to do the shoots, teachers/speakers to do classroom presentations, etc....it all boils down to our folks..... we're -all- doing the right thing here..... & buddy, believe me when I tell you, I appreciate what -YOU- are doing a whole bunch as well....... O0

Besides which, we're still getting red hats set up to handle the 4/19 shoots all over the state.....most of our folks this coming weekend won't be doing the Piru DAR shoot, they'll be upstate doing the Sacramento shoot (Cali CAPITAL!!!), which I believe currently has somewhere around 61 pre-regs......now I truly believe next year we'll be looking back at this, & these numbers going: "Shheeessh!! Can you believe that's all the folks we could get out for a "cool weekend", with only 2 shoots in the whole state!!", but right now, we are still getting the word out there....and lots of these folks like to sit on their hands.....or do something w/ 'em.... >:D

Either way, we need to get the word out, & out here, advertising works.......there are still a bunch of folks that enjoy shooting, & surely can stand to listen to the history & heritage.....we'll just keep taking them as they come in ......

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Fred

I dunno, I used to think Texans were sensitive to being told California can even match them, must less beat them.

Sacramento must be irksome to Texans, but they can always take heart from Piru - if we don't get those numbers up to some respectable level.

Get those numbers up, so that Texans can't point to Piru, when you bring up Sacramento...

Californians, you were put on this planet for a purpose - and I can guarantee it was not to make Texas feel good...  ;D

:)

PS: In a couple of months, we'll celebrate Appleseed's "First Birthday" in California. I know you Californians are party people - so can we plan something to celebrate not only the "first year" but the remarkable progress in the last year - something we'll be holding up to the rest of America to show them that it can be done - even in California - and if it can be done there, why can't they be doing it?

You guys are not only doing a great job in Cali, but you're also doing a great job providing inspiration and motivation to the rest of the states. No longer is California, in my estimation, a stain on the 2A world - and it's you guys who did it - in the short span of a year - and motivating the rest of the states, while doing it.

PPS: It'd be nice to see a little "birthday party" in April to mark not only April 19th, but the first anniversary of the first Designated Appleseed Range - Piru. Let's work that angle, and see what happens.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

LayloPro

Californians, you were put on this planet for a purpose - and I can guarantee it was not to make Texas feel good...   ;D

Gee, Boss....didn't you say it was so they'd have somebody to look up to?? **) **) @)

Seriously, yes!!....we need higher Piru numbers...as well as Corona numbers, and other ranges' numbers as we begin seeding them....... While it's "fun" to have great instructor-to-student ratios, we need to touch base (& SCORE!) with more folks on the message & heritage....."the facts are the facts, & the numbers don't lie"......(I did NOT make that up, but it's still true!) <:)
When my son played college football, the one word that summed up all the "smack talking" on the line was a simple "Scoreboard".......

It is the numbers that matter, because they represent the count of the -PEOPLE-!! ;)

And that number, as opposed to all the possible 300+ Million folks living in this country, is our mark.......

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, last Piru shoot, they had three new riflemen....out of 8 shooters on the line...I'd say -those- are some pretty good numbers right there..... O0 And(that's not all, folks!!) we turned 3 shooters into Riflemen @ Corona on the -same- weekend, with one being a transplant going out to help Texas as well when he gets there as an IIT.....hmmmm, 6 riflemen in one weekend? All convinced of the value of this program??!!That's a bad number, somehow?? *cough, cough* We'll see how we all do this next weekend, eh?..... :~

I know you Californians are party people

Who, us??? @) **) :))

You guys are not only doing a great job in Cali, but you're also doing a great job providing inspiration and motivation to the rest of the states. No longer is California, in my estimation, a stain on the 2A world - and it's you guys who did it - in the short span of a year - and motivating the rest of the states, while doing it.

And thank you for not only your kind words on this, but for coming up with this program in the first place......Your idea about the Piru birthday party is a very good one, & even marks the point of a full year I personally have been able to "rinse off under the fire hose".....needed that shot of Heritage again, for sure!! O0

There is a real troop of great folks out here that spend the time to make this happen....I'm just happy to be included with them.....it truly is an honor.....as well as the other AS'er folks I have met in some of my travels now...... Remarkable folks, doing remarkable things...... O0

LLP

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

SavageShootr

Quote from: Fred on January 11, 2009, 12:33:01 PM
     PPS: It'd be nice to see a little "birthday party" in April to mark not only April 19th, but the first anniversary of the first Designated Appleseed Range - Piru. Let's work that angle, and see what happens.

That is a good idea. 
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

LavaTech

That sounds very nice, I plan on working that particular day - at Piru. :)
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.

- John Adams

Grandson of Liberty

Quote from: SavageShootr on January 09, 2009, 12:36:30 AM
Only nine days remaining until the Piru Appleseed. We only have six people signed up at this time.

#7 reporting for duty.   O0
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

SavageShootr

Quote from: Grandson of Liberty on January 12, 2009, 01:54:26 AM
Quote from: SavageShootr on January 09, 2009, 12:36:30 AM
Only nine days remaining until the Piru Appleseed. We only have six people signed up at this time.

#7 reporting for duty.   O0

GOL,

It will be good to see you again.  O0

~SS

jacques

It was good to meet or see you all this weekend again. Didn't get it :-\, but I will try again ;D. Thanks for everything.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

LayloPro

Jacques,

You are -close-!! A little more work & focus, & I know you're gonna get that patch & hat......I have no doubt on that.....look forward to being there to help you out if needed, as always.....

Take care, & we'll see you again soon!
Laylopro

jacques

Quote from: Laylopro on January 19, 2009, 06:08:09 AM
Jacques,

You are -close-!! A little more work & focus, & I know you're gonna get that patch & hat......I have no doubt on that.....look forward to being there to help you out if needed, as always.....

Take care, & we'll see you again soon!
Laylopro

I know I am close. I found that the front sight on my tech sights was screwed out way too far. I think when practicing it was just 'springing' back to where it was. When it got all that fine Piru dirt in it, it was not. There was a bur in the threads of the rear one, so it wouldn't go down as far as it should. I got that fixed now.

I went to the WCGC this morning and sighted it in. I also measured to the first target stand placement spot, and found it is only 50ft, not 25yds like I thought. Now I know to go to the 200yrd range there and set up my stand at the correct distance.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

SavageShootr

Hey jacques,

Welcome.

I remember you from the Santa Barbara AS last August. Glad to see that you are still at it. We have a word for that, we call it Persisting. You will get there soon. Now that you have figured out where your equipment failure is, stay home and dry fire, save the ammo. Get into the positions and practice those as well.

See you on the AS trail.

~SS

socalserf

Appleseed has only been in California since March of '08.
We still have multiple events before our one year aniversary here.
Does anyone have any hard numbers for attendance so far?

The good news is that we only need to double that number every year!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."