News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Craigslist Appleseed event posters in Texas

Started by bigiceman, December 22, 2008, 04:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigiceman

We are going to use Craigslist as one means of getting our Appleseed Shoot schedule out there in cyberspace for the curious to see. There are seventeen locations that have dedicated cities or populated areas represented on Craigslist for Texas. I will take Fort Worth. Who from the other areas will step up and volunteer to take a few minutes 30 days before the nearest Appleseed Shoot is happening to list it on Craigslist for those hungry patriots out there on the internet to find? I would be more than happy to give a tutorial and will be posting my version in this thread to allow others to use as a template.

Abilene
Amarillo
Austin                                    Scuzzy :)
College station
Corpus Christi
Dallas
El paso                                   WestTX :)
Fort Worth                              Bigiceman :)
Galveston                               
Houston                                  CaptG  :)
Killen/temple/ft hood                 Scout :)
Laredo
Lubbock
Odessa/midland                        WCMartin1 :)
Tyler/east texas                       Councelor  :)
Victoria
Wichita falls                             Lex T. Concord  :)
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. - unknown
The road to tyranny is paved with apathy - Me

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter.  Classification: Cook 

WE ARE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

bigiceman

So here is my listing on Craigslist for the Dallas area. It was for the Davilla shoot in January, but I have blanked out the specifics so that you can insert your city of choice. Please feel free to plagarize, edit, add, subtract or improve at will. This is just an idea you can use, but you don't have to. Everybody should put a little difference into the mix. This will help to ensure that the Craigslist people don't recognize the entries as duplicates.

Date: Date of nearest Appleseed within 30 days
Posting Title:  Rifle marksmanship, rifle safety, and history clinic (would love to make this longer, but 45 charecter limit)
Specific Location:  NEAR YOU, Texas)

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA), a nom-profit organization, is providing one and two day clinics in rifle marksmanship and rifle safety. There is a nominal fee for this instruction and it is free of charge to all women, young people (under 21) and all military, both active and reserve.

This clinic teaches the six steps of making a proper shot with a rifle. Each participant will receive individualized coaching from instructors and feedback on their progress as the clinic progresses. By the end of the clinic each participant will have made real progress toward consistently placing a shot in a 20 inch square at 500 yards without the aid of a bench or sandbags. During the course of the clinic instructors will also illuminate some history of our Revolutionary founders and how the skill of rifle marksmanship played a part in the success of our American Revolution.

The clinic will be held rain or shine on the specified dates. The clinic starts at 8:30 in the morning and runs until around 5:00 in the afternoon with a break for lunch.

To sign up for a place at the clinic, to get directions, or just to get more information, please visit www.appleseedinfo.org, and follow the register for an event link.

keywords: firearm history shoot patriot gun target ammunition marksmanship rifle revolutionary free instruction military

scuzzy

That template works. I'm going post that to the Killeen/Ft. Hood CL right now. I did Austin but it wasn't as good as your template. My Austin post is below. One thing I noticed is that even though I entered the event date as '01/10/2009' to '01/11/2009' that it wouldn't show up unless I clicked on 'Show all events.' It looks like when someone clicks on 'Events' that only events that begin/end close to the current date are listed.

I suppose in addition to events I should also post under 'classes, activities, and politics.' Wait one, forget the politics, at least for the Austin crew. If ya wanna get a load of the Obamites, click on Austin politics. Maybe I ought to post there anyways? Naw, probably not.

Title: 1/10-1/11: Learn to use your R I F L E on Jan 10 and 11, 2009 (Davilla, Texas)

Come join the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) for an Appleseed Project shoot. Learn how to improve your shooting skills and learn about the history of this country during the Revolutionary War.

I guarantee that even the best shot will learn a thing or three.

See our website at appleseedinfo.org for more info on the coming get together as well as others coming in the future.

See ya there.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

WestTx

Rifleman. That says it all.

scuzzy

Add Killeen/Ft. Hood, Waco, San Marcos, and Bryan/College Station to that now. Also, CL will try and keep you from posting the same event more than once, even if it is in another locale.  You have to change to wording a bit in order to get through.

bigiceman

Quote from: scuzzy on December 22, 2008, 10:18:07 PM
Add Killeen/Ft. Hood, Waco, San Marcos, and Bryan/College Station to that now. Also, CL will try and keep you from posting the same event more than once, even if it is in another locale.  You have to change to wording a bit in order to get through.

That is one of the reasons I want to see if having a different person in each area will overcome their duplicate entry challenge. That is something to add to the post though, just as a routine. Everybody add a little of their own flair to the message in each town.

CaptG

Bigiceman
Put me down for Houston, it's done. http://houston.craigslist.org/cls/967731929.html

Already noted in the How to use craigslist thread.

G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

bigiceman

Way to go CaptG. Now we have 4 of 17 covered in just one day, the rest should fall into place fairly quickly. If not, you guys get out there and find some volunteers.

CaptG

Ice,
Check your roster, you've got me down for Galveston.
I'd do more than one location, but the site says not & I'm afraid they'd pull all of the posts if they catch me cheating.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

bigiceman

Quote from: CaptG on December 23, 2008, 01:43:05 AM
Ice,
Check your roster, you've got me down for Galveston.
I'd do more than one location, but the site says not & I'm afraid they'd pull all of the posts if they catch me cheating.
G

Got it fixed. Not so good at following lines any more. :-[

Okay, there posters, I am going to put a couple links in the second post on this thread from WebDancer. He made a great tutorial for the posting and a great letter. I think I actually like his beter and will personally use it in the future. Might change the one in my first post.

Here are the links.
Tutorial               http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4922.0;attach=5401
Webdancer's add  http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cls/966858633.html

Scout

BigIce, Thanks for taking this and running with it. Grets Job! I put myself in for the Temple area. We have used it here for events and selling stuff.I don't think it will hurt toget some duplicates if they let us do that.
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

wcmartin1

bigiceman,

Great job in taking over and following through on the coordination of our Craigslist promos here in Texas, Sir.

Odessa/Midland is done here - http://odessa.craigslist.org/cls/968744697.html

BBB
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

bigiceman

Quote from: Scout on December 24, 2008, 08:59:17 AM
BigIce, Thanks for taking this and running with it. Grets Job! I put myself in for the Temple area. We have used it here for events and selling stuff.I don't think it will hurt toget some duplicates if they let us do that.

Okay, that was cool. I forget what admins are able to do. Went to modify the post to put your name in and it was already there. :))

As state coordinator, got any volunteers in mind for some of the other cities?

Scout

Quote from: bigiceman on December 24, 2008, 01:25:01 PM
Quote from: Scout on December 24, 2008, 08:59:17 AM

Okay, that was cool. I forget what admins are able to do. Went to modify the post to put your name in and it was already there. :))

As state coordinator, got any volunteers in mind for some of the other cities?

Actually I do ;) so let em PM them to you and you can shanghai them into this program. You are doing such a bang up job and you obviously have much more power to persuade people to get behind a certain program than I do with my pleading :(, so I am sending you some more tasks we need done in this same manner. If you can slip one in after this gets going, and use that same BigIce charm ;), you might get them to jump on the wagon for it also. Maybe I can get you to be the "Job Boss" or "Job Czar" for the Texas Program. Would you mind doing that? ;) ;D ;D

BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

bigiceman

wcmartin1

Quote from: Scout on December 24, 2008, 02:51:55 PM
Maybe I can get you to be the "Job Boss" or "Job Czar" for the Texas Program. Would you mind doing that? ;) ;D ;D

Second.

Those in favor...  ;D

Quote from: bigiceman on December 24, 2008, 03:41:10 PM
I will do whatever I can for you Scout.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.  O0

CaptG

bigiceman,
saw no one else was taking College Station, so I changed the Houston ad up a little & put it up. We'll see if it flies
G

Mine didn't go up, but someone else already had one posted.
Winston Churchill

bigiceman

Okay CaptG, we just have to watch out. The Craigslist people watch for duplicates, we will see what happens.

Scout

How is this looking? Do we have all the current shoots listed so far? Thanks guys for taking this and running with it. Good crew BigIce ;). Let's get them on listing in community calendars now!
BattleRoadUSA.com

PHenry

Now why didn't I think of this? I even know how to do it already!

Great idear!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

scuzzy

I was able to do Austin, Killeen/Ft. Hood, Waco, San Marcos, and Bryan/College Station for Davilla in Jan 2009. However, my CL signon has now been flagged as a 'spammer' and I will have to create another signon using a different  email address for the next go around. Guess will have to create some throw away email addresses using some of the free email services.

As for different wording on the CL posts, yes, you do have to use  different wordings on your post or you run the possibility of being flagged.

bigiceman

Scuzzy and everyone else, this is why we need to have someone, one, take each individual market they have in the state. That way we are not spamming, even if we are promoting the same event. At least that looks like the way it works to me. Or we may have to list them differently. Some as classes some as an event.

Let me get in touch with a few others and see if we cannot get volunteers for the different areas filled in.

Counselor

Put me down for Tyler, East Texas area, since I am only 35 miles west of Tyler.
Plus, I am already registered with Craigslist.

Counselor

bigiceman

You got it Councelor. PM if you need any help or advice.

Scout

BattleRoadUSA.com

scuzzy

For anyone that is interested in how many hits (people looking at your post) your CL post is getting you can register with http://www.statcounter.com and get some code you can copy/paste into your CL post. This will display the number of people that click on your post.

During the registration/hit counter creation process make sure you select "OPTIONAL - HTML Only Counter" checkbox or the counter won't work since CL won't allow Javascript. If you don't know what Javascript is don't worry, just make sure you use the HTML only counter checkbox. This will give you an idea of how well the AS post is doing.

bigiceman

Thanks Scuzzy. That will be a good piece of information to tell us if it is working or if we need to direct the effort elsewhere. O0

Hope to have some more help with this soon.

Lex T. Concord

Please put me down for Wichita Falls.

THANKS!!

Lex T. Concord
Discover the WAY, Grow in the TRUTH, Develop into the LIFE!  ~ John 14:6, enhanced

Self-defense is a God-given right - 2A does not grant this, it recognizes and supports it!

Interesting times with unimaginable challenges lie ahead... GET PREPARED!  And hurry every chance you get!  Tempus Fugit!

CaptG

Winston Churchill