News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Craigslist Appleseed event posters in Texas

Started by bigiceman, December 22, 2008, 04:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigiceman

Good job, thought I would have to wait a few more days. Now I gotta post mine.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. - unknown
The road to tyranny is paved with apathy - Me

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter.  Classification: Cook 

WE ARE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

bigiceman

Okay, just a reminder that your event listing will expire 30 days after posting. That means that everyone posting for Midland and El Paso should have already posted and that those posting for Davilla should be posting about now. 30 days before is the perfect timing, that will get last minute people who are looking on Thursday or Friday for something to do on the weekend.

scuzzy

Posted Davilla on Austin, Waco, Killeen, and College Station on CL Events a few days ago. The Austin post has already been deleted. I guess some liberal is flagging the post as inappropriate or something. I could post again there but it will just get deleted. My hit counter shows that about 30 people have checked out the ad in the last few days, and that is for all cities I posted to. The counter actually shows 121 but it was at 90 when I did the new posts. Next time I post I will create hit counters for each individual city to get a better idea of how this is working out, and also zero the counter each time I do a new post.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

bigiceman

Scuzzy, one of the reasons you may be getting pulled is the redundancy. That is why we need to recruit others to fill the empty slots.

scuzzy

I think I got past the CL redundancy issue. Each of my event posts is worded a little bit different, just enough to slip by the CL post monitor. When I was posting last month,  a redundant post would get a message during the posting process saying 'Possible Spam' or something like that. Both my current and previous Austin posts were there for a few days, but then deleted. When viewing posts a person can flag as ' please flag with care: miscategorized, prohibited, spam/overpost, or best of craigslist.' My other posts from Waco, Killeen, and College Station I just did are still there. While I can't say positively that my posts are being flagged, and deleted, but I will keep an eye on the Austin situation. Maybe someone else could post Austin again to see what happens?

bigiceman

We can have someone else try and post from Austin. Try and see if you can ask the Craigslist people why your event was pulled. They have real issues with cross-posting and some have experienced additional scrutiny of their posts or events because of it.

scuzzy

Reposted Davilla Feb 22-Mar 1, 2009 on Austin CL.

I did find this information on CL about posting:

QuoteOur flagging system allows craigslist users to mark inappropriate postings for speedy removal, while preserving everyone's ability to express themselves freely and in a timely fashion.

By using the flagging feature located at the upper right corner of each post, you can take action if you feel a posting is inappropriate, by clicking on:

* miscategorized - wrong category/site, discusses another ad, otherwise misplaced
    * prohibited - violates craigslist Terms of Use or other posted guidelines
    * spam/overpost - posted too frequently, in multiple cities/categories, or is too commercial

If a post receives enough negative flags it will automatically be removed (only one flag per person per post is counted).

Posters whose postings are repeatedly flagged are subject to staff review and additional remedial measures.

After reading the above I found a forum the dealt with flagged posts and I found the following:

Quoteweapons & weapons-related items prohibited §  <  chez_moi >  01/25 09:12:49 

The above quotes was from the Austin forum. Reading through the 'flagged posts' forum I got the distinct impression that you can get flagged for just about anything. All it takes is a few people that don't like your post. Heck, there were people flagged for dog ads that seemed to be OK, at least to me.

bigiceman

I just searched the terms of use and found no such restriction. I am sending a question. It really sounds as though it is over-zealous gun haters trying to police the service.

BDG

as far as I have ever seen, all firearms related posts are disallowed on CL and if they get placed in through the filtersets, they get actively sought out and flagged by the few mods working that role. Additionally, there are always the firearms haters that will flag them if they see them. That all being said, it didn't stop me from picking up a 10/22 via CL in my area last year that had not yet been flagged or removed. It was shortly ousted after my purchase though. :P
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

bigiceman

I know what you are saying, but I don't see that anywhere in the terms of service listed on their site. I especially don't see how classes would fit into their way of thinking about it. That being said, not all people care if they are doing what is right, just what they want. Craigslist may not work out for us as an advertising means, we will see what they respond, if they respond.

Lex T. Concord

Okay, Wichita Falls is posted for the Davilla 28 Feb - 01 March shoot.

However, I am confused.  I have rarely ever gone to Craig's List, so maybe I am doing something wrong...???

I go to "texas", and click on CLASSES and it sends me to EVENTS, wherein my listings does not exist.

I go to the SEARCH function higher up on the page and search specifically in CLASSES, and all is well and good - it is there.

How come the main page, with 'texas' and 'classes' mis-directs me to EVENTS, where it is NOT listed?

How will anyone find it?

Also, did we find out if all of our listings are being pulled and sent to oblivion?

Thanks!

Lex
Discover the WAY, Grow in the TRUTH, Develop into the LIFE!  ~ John 14:6, enhanced

Self-defense is a God-given right - 2A does not grant this, it recognizes and supports it!

Interesting times with unimaginable challenges lie ahead... GET PREPARED!  And hurry every chance you get!  Tempus Fugit!

bigiceman

I sent an e-mail to Craigslist and got a non-commital form response. It said to check the forum. What it really looks like is if the people on the forum think it is weapons related they can tag it for removal. It seems that in the Austin area there are enough gun-haters to keep that area cleared out. I have not had trouble with mine in Fort Worth, yet.

Don't know what to say about the item showing up. I think we need to work on our key words or something. I am not savy to this kind of stuff so I am not sure.

Lex T. Concord

Well, I am REALLY not savvy... are the 'keywords' supposed to be in the text of the listing?

I looked and did not see a separate place to post the keywords... how does that work?

Thanks,
Lex
Discover the WAY, Grow in the TRUTH, Develop into the LIFE!  ~ John 14:6, enhanced

Self-defense is a God-given right - 2A does not grant this, it recognizes and supports it!

Interesting times with unimaginable challenges lie ahead... GET PREPARED!  And hurry every chance you get!  Tempus Fugit!

bigiceman

You got me too. Hey Scuzzy! Chime in, you seem tech savy.

webdancer

Greetings Lex,

There is no keyword field, just put a couple of blank lines after the text of your ad and enter your keywords all on the same line. You can look at my ad here to see what I mean. Keep up the good work!

Quote from: Lex T. Concord on January 30, 2009, 06:17:00 PM
Well, I am REALLY not savvy... are the 'keywords' supposed to be in the text of the listing?

I looked and did not see a separate place to post the keywords... how does that work?

Thanks,
Lex
Webdancer
More fundamentally, however, the basic premise of the Court's argument–that American law should conform to the laws of the rest of the world–ought to be rejected out of hand.  --Justice Antonin Scalia, dissent to Roper v. Simmons

Lex T. Concord

Thanks Webdancer!  That is what I did, and now - thanks to you, I know I did it right.

However, my earlier confusion on the listing still exists:

"However, I am confused.  I have rarely ever gone to Craig's List, so maybe I am doing something wrong...

I go to "texas", and click on CLASSES and it sends me to EVENTS, wherein my listings does not exist.

I go to the SEARCH function higher up on the page and search specifically in CLASSES, and all is well and good - it is there.

How come the main page, with 'texas' and 'classes' mis-directs me to EVENTS, where it is NOT listed?

How will anyone find it?"

Sooooooo, what is up with that?

Lex

scuzzy

QuoteHow come the main page, with 'texas' and 'classes' mis-directs me to EVENTS, where it is NOT listed?

How will anyone find it?"

Sooooooo, what is up with that?

The classes/events seem to be related in some way so that they are tied together. There is nothing we can do to control that.

I'm not sure why CL is programmed to act that way. I think it is a little messed up the way it functions. I usually click on 'View All Events' to take a look at things though. I added hit counters for Austin, Killeen/Temple, College Station, and Waco. There is  a small hit count of people, anywhere from  10-30, for each city listed. Austin keeps getting pulled so I will just post once and it will get deleted. No way to control that, it only happens in Austin. But if it gets even one person out it is worth it. That one person will then tell a friend and so on.

Maybe I ought to list an AS as a group touchy/feely hug session just to get some Austinites out?? Ha. Then the post wouldn't get deleted! Just kiddin.

Lex T. Concord

Thanks Scuzzy!

BTW - Heinlein is one of my Favorites!

Lex

bigiceman

A little bit behind. I just posted the March 14-15 Davilla event. All of you north Texas posters should be doing the same if you have not already. Those doing the 28th to Mar 1 events wait a few days then get your new postings up.

My stat counter showed 15 visits to my posting and it made it through the month.

Don't be discouraged. It only costs us a little time and if even one American comes to one of our events and learns to be an awake citizen and rifleman I will count myself as having done little and achieved much.

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

bigiceman

Quote from: wcmartin1 on February 23, 2009, 05:29:30 PM
April 18-19 - Midland, TX Appleseed posted here http://odessa.craigslist.org/cls/1047356702.html

You may have to post this again WC. The Craigslist postings only appear for 30 days.

CaptG

Ice,
Got the Mar Davilla shoot posted on Houston CL. So far they seem to be staying up there.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

mrt53

Sorry to be tardy,but here are the directions:

From College Station proceed south on US 6 to hwy. 159 south to Millican. Follow 159 south 2.5 miles to four way stop in Millican. Continue straight 4.2 miles to Cawthon. Turn right on crushed limestone road just before Cawthon sign by red building on right . Proceed 1.5 miles to range.

From Navasota proceed north on US 6 to F.M. 2154. Turn left and go 5.1 miles to four way stop in Millican. Turn left and go 4.2 miles to Cawthon. Turning right as above.

From Brenham proceed east on hwy. 105 to hwy. 159 just past Brazos river. Turn left on hwy. 159 and proceed 9.5 miles to Cawthon. Turn left just past Cawthon sign and red building on left.

Thanks,

steve

bigiceman

Time for everyone to post the April 18-19 events.

CaptG

Iceman,
I'm going to see if I can post Davilla & College Station on CL Houston. I'll just put them both up for location on the same listing. Is the Houston event also on? If so I'll include it.
Guy

EDIT:
Posted Davilla and College Starion (put both on location). Jazzed up the description a little for the Apr 19th aspect. I couldn't find any info about a Houston AS although I've heard rumors. If it's on, I'll go back & try to add it.

G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill