News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Event Information - 2009

Started by wcmartin1, December 20, 2008, 10:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcmartin1

HOWDY, Y'ALL!  The Great State of Texas is bustin' with Appleseed activity.  Here are the events we have on the books for the Lone Star State in 2009 so far.  More will be added as we get 'em set up. 

Don't see an event close enough?  Find us a range and a date - we'll come to you!   <:)

Amarillo Event Information (outdoor) can be found here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4995.0
Amarillo Event Information (indoor) can be found here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5102.0
College Station Event Information can be found here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6056.0
Corpus Christi Event Information Page can be found here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5732.0
Davilla Event Information Page can be found here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4814.0
El Paso (Ft. Bliss Rod & Gun) Event Information here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4347.0
El Paso (El Paso Community College) Event Info here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5004.0
Midland Event Information Page can be found here - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4394.0

Rifleman Boot Camp Information can be found here - http://www.appleseedinfo.org/bc_schedule.htm

Notice at the bottom of each EIP that there is a registration link as well.

Flyers for each event can be found on this thread - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=3029.0

New to Appleseed?  Go here - http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/

Here's what we got so far:
(42 shoots as of 6/13/2009)

January
Davilla, TX - January 10-11, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - January 17-18, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (Ft. Bliss Rod & Gun)

February
El Paso, TX - February 21-22, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (El Paso Community College) - first event (indoor)
Midland, TX - February 21-22, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot - first event at this location
Davilla, TX - February 22 - March 1, 2009 - Rifleman Boot Camp
Davilla, TX - February 28 - March 1, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot

March
Davilla, TX - March 14-15, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - March 14-15, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (Ft. Bliss Rod & Gun- RANGE 7)- Changed to Range 5.
College Station, TX - March 21-22, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot - first event at this location
Amarillo, TX - March 28-29, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot - first event at this location (indoor range)
El Paso, TX - March 28-29, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

April
Amarillo, TX - April 18-19, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (outdoor range)
Davilla, TX - April 18-19, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
College Station, TX - April 18-19, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
Corpus Christi, TX - April 18-19, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - April 18-19, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (FBRG)
Midland, TX - April 18-19, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot

May
Corpus Christi, TX - May 16-17, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
Davilla, TX - May 16-17, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - May 16-17, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (FBRG)
El Paso, TX - May 23-24, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

June
Davilla, TX - June 6-7, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
Corpus Christi, TX - June 20-21, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - June 27-28, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

July
Davilla, TX - July 4-5, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - July 25-26, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

August
Davilla, TX - August 15-16, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - August 15-16, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

September
Davilla, TX - September 12-13, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - September 12-13, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)
Amarillo, TX - September 19-20, 2009 -Appleseed Shoot (outdoor range)
El Paso, TX - September 19-20, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (FBRG)

October
Davilla, TX - October 10-11, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - October 17-18, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (FBRG)
El Paso, TX - October 24-25, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

November
Davilla, TX - November 8-15, 2009 - Rifleman Boot Camp
Davilla, TX - November 14-15, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - November 21-22, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (FBRG)
Midland, TX - November 21-22, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot

December
El Paso, TX - December 19-20, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (FBRG)
Davilla, TX - December 26-27, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot
El Paso, TX - December 26-27, 2009 - Appleseed Shoot (EPCC)

Now y'all sign up, bring your friends & family, and come learn to shoot.  What?  You already know how? 

Then come prove it and learn how to teach!  O0
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Fred

Good job of posting the Texas schedule summation, wc.

Man, you Texans should be ecstatic! All that wide-open space! Right there, on the schedule!

Twenty-four on the sched, so far?

The biggest hole is 4/18-19 - only three listed, when 30 is the goal (unless you guys want to come in second to California! Ugh!!) - so looks to me you need to get 27 more lined up for that day.

Too hard? Guess there's not enough empty space in Texas for 27 quarter-acre Appleseed shoots on 4/18-19.

Or maybe you can't find 27 more Texans who believe in the American Revolution and the rifleman tradition?

Or maybe you can't find 27 more Texans who know what "getting off the couch" means?

Note the question marks - I'm simply askin. :~

It's nearly the end of December - and you guys are going to get, in the next three months, 27 more AS set for 4/19?

I may as well let the California guys know that this is all sewn up for them - ain't no way you guys can do it.

Maybe in some other state, but not in Texas. (I love the Texas Appleseeders - all two dozen of them! - and wish there were more - but none of us are young grammar school girls, so we don't believe in wishin' anymore...)

Now, I hope you understand I am trying with great success to hold myself back from "Texas-bashing" - a phenom that would never exist were it not for the factual state of Texas today.

Just last year, some people in Nevada were shooting so bad, I threatened them with involuntarily getting on a bus to Texas, pointing out that the average marksmanship in Nevada would perceptibly improve as the bus crossed the state line, leaving - and that when it crossed the border into Texas, average marksmanship in Texas would also go up. They decided they'd shoot better. So you see, you guys can have a positive impact on marksmanship! O0

But it seems to me that all this pales in comparison to coming in SECOND TO CALIFORNIA!

I say none of this to discourage, but rather to motivate. If it was me, no way I'd let Texas come in second to California - so if it does come in second, it must be because of you. !@#) **)

We say in this program every individual counts.

Imagine how good you'll feel on 4/18-19, as you see 31 AS across and around the Great State of Texas - and you can shut that &^%$ Fred up while simultaneously wiping that snotty grin off his face! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

POP

OK Fred.
We're working on Fort Worth, Austin, and South Texas from Corpus Christi to the Rio Grande.

Others are working on Aggieland, for a site near Navasota.

We talk to folks everyday and email others; hand out cards and flyers; and drag'em to Davilla.

April 18/19 will happen. 

Thanks for the push!

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

WestTx

Tut, tut, Fred. Guess you'd rather have 30 Texans loudly proclaiming and insulting you? Or 300 Texans standing by your side as NC slides in the morass of couch-sittin? ;D
Good reminder to get us up and moving. Thanks for the gentle nudge. I always appreciate the subtle ways of your older generation. <:)
Rifleman. That says it all.

wcmartin1

Quote from: WestTx on December 20, 2008, 12:07:57 PM
I always appreciate the subtle ways of your older generation. <:)

**)

Quote from: Fred on May 29, 2008, 04:06:07 PM

There's hope with Texans - and where there's hope, there's bashing.  ;D

&)
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

wcmartin1

Quote from: RifleWoman on December 20, 2008, 11:59:23 AM
Oh wait, I can use that in a sentance.

all you SC's, SB's, IIT, MI's etc, that are planning RBC's or AS's you need to get your EIP to SS and for IBC to RW or they won't be put on the schedule.  &)

&) = No I'm really not kidding  **)

Git-R-Done!

WestTx

Fred and all, I can add another El Paso shoot at the EPCC 20 place range on 18-19 April but am concerned it would confuse folks as to location and the drive between there and FBRG is about 30 minutes. See, in West Texas, distance is everything :D

Fred

If these are two distinct clubs and you're thinking "Appleseeds" at both that weekend, consider making a competition of it to see which club can turn out the most people.

Who knows, a little spirited rivalry could make for a rip-roaring weekend.

If anyone is alive in either club, that is... :~
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

WestTx

Quote from: Fred on December 22, 2008, 11:16:30 PM

If these are two distinct clubs and you're thinking "Appleseeds" at both that weekend, consider making a competition of it to see which club can turn out the most people.

Who knows, a little spirited rivalry could make for a rip-roaring weekend.

If anyone is alive in either club, that is... :~
One is a gun club with room for probably 200 people and the other is the community college with fixed bays limiting us to 20. Can probably fill the CC with students (" and your homework is to attend the Appleseed!"), and the Gun Club is .... the gun club. While I can fill the LEA facility every time because it's indoor, it's limited in range (25 yards max). Good idea though, as I am thinking about trying that in the Fall with both of them.
Now, if we could only get Houston, Dallas and San Antonio online........
Edited: The more I thought about it, the more I like the idea of a little competition, as long as the manager of the club doesn't get feathers ruffled. I'll talk to her tomorrow. thanks Fred. See, your older generation does come up with some good ideas once in awhile. ;D

WestTx

Have now talked with both CC and FBRG. While both are hesitant on the confusion factor (Honey, I thought we were going to be indoors), both are willing to try and run a couple simultaneously. Need to get a date perhaps in April (18-19?) and then plan to staff the heck out it while promoting it in print ads. While it is nice to say that we can try to get newspapers to donate the space, realism plays here. They might do it if we have paid for it a couple of times.
Neither CC nor FBRG can advertise this in the local papers other than the on post and CC newspaper.
I plan on getting Grizzled One in on this as well.

WestTx

36 events in Texas so far for 2009.
16 in El Paso alone.
Where there is hope, there is bashing-but not today, not today. :)

WestTx

Now 37 events in Texas. And more coming.

WestTx

Now up to 40 events- in ONE STATE!

FiremanBill

Scout, wcmartin, WestTX:

FF has asked me to collect data for all April 18-19 events -

Can you tell me the maximum number of Appleseeders we handle on the line at the TX April 18-19 Appleseed event(s)?

Thanks for your help!    O0

FiremanBill
Historian
IIT2
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Jack Ryan for President!

CQ CQ CQ de N8NRT.....

WestTx

Texas- Ft Bliss Rod and Gun capacity in eventbrite- 75, actual Range 5 FBRG capacity 175. 75 is the practical capacity. 30 is what'll show up.

WestTx

42 Appleseeds in Texas this year. How many next year? 80? 100?

r75usmc

I'm a native of Dallas (live in Lake Forest, California now) and my sister who lives in Plano really would enjoy an Appleseed event.  I'd like to send her info on the next event that will be nearest to her and have my wife (who attended an event here in SoCal this month) help encourage her.

Is the Davilla location likely to be the closest?  I would think a straight shot south on 35 isn't too bad.  I used to make it from Dallas to Austin in 3.5 hrs (I don't drive that fast anymore, mind you!)

vic303

Either Davilla, or one of the Oklahoma sites will be about equidistant from Plano.  I'd say Davilla would be easier, asn Scout has them pretty well set up for 1x/month thru 2009.  Plus there is the RBC in November too.  It's a couple hour drive from Collin Co, and it's pleasant enough provided traffic coming home isn't stupid, as it was, back on the 7th.