News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dec 15 comes and goes without notice......

Started by Junior Birdman, December 16, 2008, 05:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Birdman

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Wheeler44

ummm. Birdman... the shoot in "the cold bowl of mud" was scheduled to honor Dec 15th.. I guess that we should have made that more clear. Sorry.
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Junior Birdman

And yet nary a mention of it.........  :'(
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Nickle

So, all of you are wondering what he was referring to?

Quote1791 - The United States Bill of Rights becomes law when ratified by the Virginia legislature.

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

jmdavis

I actually called people to wish them a happy "Bill of Rights" day.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

fepowered

QuoteOn December 15, 1791, the new United States of America ratified the Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution, confirming the fundamental rights of its citizens. The First Amendment guarantees freedom of religion, speech, and the press, and the rights of peaceful assembly and petition. Other amendments guarantee the rights of the people to form a "well-regulated militia," to keep and bear arms, the rights to private property, fair treatment for accused criminals, protection from unreasonable search and seizure, freedom from self-incrimination, a speedy and impartial jury trial, and representation by counsel.

The Bill of Rights draws influence and inspiration from the Magna Carta (1215), the English Bill of Rights (1689), and various later efforts in England and America to expand fundamental rights. George Mason's Virginia Declaration of Rights formed the basis of the amendments that comprise the Bill of Rights.

"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

funfaler

Just no interest in America any more, not much here either.  It is not a "real American Heritage day, just a made up date with disingenuious meaning"...... :(

It is not like there is a program in America that is dedicated to preserving this sort of Heritage for future generations, to teach people the significance of such dates and the events that transpired on them.  >:(

It would be nice if there were a program out there that honored these dates, made them special again..... :-[

Perhaps even held two day events, with emphasis on these sorts of special dates, tried to re-introduce the American public to the significance and importance of these dates.... :-\

Maybe some day.   I guess there may always be next year, but who really cares. :'(

We can just wait for "World Day", that is a barn burner  #) 

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

fepowered

How about we develop a "canned" post to put up on the early AM of 12/15/09 and every year after?  Better to celebrate it early in the day and throughout the day than to post on the 16th  that no one posted throughout the day on the 15th bout it...... 8)
We can not jump off the roof from depression that the general media does not celebrate the anniversary.  It is up to us to educate and spread our message, even if it is 1 rifleman at a time.  Every first time Appleseed attendee is an opportunity.  We really are planting seeds with a very reasonable expectation that these seeds will grow and mature to spread their own seeds..... O0
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

V

Well, like Wheeler we had not one but two simultaneous shoots in California scheduled in honor of it but I must confess in the stress of getting it all organized and running scouts and two lines that we in Piru did indeed neglect to stress that fact. I hope our brothers in Corona did better.

For myself I can only apologize, accept the beatings, and promise not to let that happen again.

:(

AdamSelene

It happens.  I completely forgot when we were in Davilla for the shoot 6-7 DEC...thats Pearl Harbor Day!  I was kicking myself all day monday.
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.           -Plato

Wade

Quote from: Wheeler44 on December 16, 2008, 05:15:25 PM
ummm. Birdman... the shoot in "the cold bowl of mud" was scheduled to honor Dec 15th.. I guess that we should have made that more clear. Sorry.
And Wheeler was short handed more or less filling in for me since I could not be there and dealing with things I had planed to have done before the shoot.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

SamD

If we do not teach it, it will not be learned.

We do have to keep emphasis on "the story" but if we expect others to know more history, then we must teach more history.  The world did not end on 19 April.

Maybe we need an area for "More History"?

Sam

WestTx

The Appleseed emphasis has been on the events of April 1775 and the legacy of our Founding Fathers in securing the freedoms that a government put down on paper and ratified/formally recognized in 1791-  16 years later! We can pound the ground in frustration over the lack of recognition of the important date in history or we can continue to provide the basic message. We can expand upon the message in the history sections of the Appleseed shoots, as instructors and attendees master the basic concepts. These concepts are simple. Teach them, then expand/expound on the follow-ons to the basic events.
Many notable events occurred before 1791. And after. But the foundation are the events of April 1775.
Rifleman. That says it all.

SamD

If you do not teach it
Do not expect anyone to recognize it

V

Guys,

I think JB's point is that Bill of Rights Day is one of our four already agreed upon All Hands on Decks events and we dropped the ball....

:(

slim

I'm not sure if anyone north of the Mason-Dixon line really "dropped the ball" in December. Any day in December. From a Heritage standpoint, I'm sure we could find something significant on just about any date in history. From an event standpoint, I'd love to have events on a Monday in 18F weather.... but, alas, pre-regs are hard to come by.

Celebrate the positives and press on from the negatives. Simple prodding and a nice reminder is great, but those who actually read this message and this thread aren't the ones who need prodding.

SamD

QuoteI think JB's point is that Bill of Rights Day is one of our four already agreed upon All Hands on Decks events and we dropped the ball....

I don't think anyone has any grief with it being
Quoteone of our four already agreed upon

In my mind there are issues with this.
Where did we tell anyone that those four days had been agreed upon?
How are people to know about this?
What efforts were made to ensure that these 4 days do not get lost in the background noise?

Just making a post that says so is not enough,since everyone can't possibly read every single post on the board, or even all the stickies.

If we want them to be anything than just more days in the year, day then it is incumbent on us to teach the people in some significant way.
If we then make a post that presupposes that "everyone knows" when they don't, we have achieved embarrassment of everyone reading it for absolutely no reason.  People get alienated when you do that, makes them reluctant to get involved. It's more than just a "get a thicker skin" issue, and something that we need to look at across the board as an organization.

Sam

V

Well I can't argue with all of your points below, I just know as an instructor I have to pay attention to the instructor boards.

FYI the sticky for the 2009 All Hands on Deck Days is here which is an instructor board which general users of this thread won't have access to so please don't swamp the admins with complaints if you can't see it.

Cheers
Phil

Quote from: SamD on December 17, 2008, 09:53:09 AM
QuoteI think JB's point is that Bill of Rights Day is one of our four already agreed upon All Hands on Decks events and we dropped the ball....

I don't think anyone has any grief with it being
Quoteone of our four already agreed upon

In my mind there are issues with this.
Where did we tell anyone that those four days had been agreed upon?
How are people to know about this?
What efforts were made to ensure that these 4 days do not get lost in the background noise?

Just making a post that says so is not enough,since everyone can't possibly read every single post on the board, or even all the stickies.

If we want them to be anything than just more days in the year, day then it is incumbent on us to teach the people in some significant way.
If we then make a post that presupposes that "everyone knows" when they don't, we have achieved embarrassment of everyone reading it for absolutely no reason.  People get alienated when you do that, makes them reluctant to get involved. It's more than just a "get a thicker skin" issue, and something that we need to look at across the board as an organization.

Sam

Buzzworth

Let's not forget that it was Shay's Rebellion that was the catalyst to review the articles of confederation and then throw them out and write our current United States Constitution including the Bill of rights
This rebellion was brought on by a wide spread financial credit crisis (sound familiar)
Many say that the Bill of rights (article 2 especially included) because of the rebellion so folks of modest means would not feel left out or written out by the wealthy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shays%27_Rebellion

No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM