News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR group buy

Started by smoakingun, May 26, 2016, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henschman

The sample pics the OP gave of the lower they did for the Sheriff's Dep't looks more like a roll mark than a laser engraving like some of the examples that have been posted.  I think something along the lines of a simplified oval patch design with "Project Appleseed" instead of "Revolutionary War Veterans' Association" would make a great roll mark.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Burnett

That's kind of why I asked. Laser would allow MUCH more detail, but cost more as well.
2 other questions, 6061 or 7075 aluminum? Not that...
Oops, gotta run will edit later.

spitstickler

Examples look like CNC me thinks.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Burnett

Not that the alloy makes that much difference, but...
When is the deadline for getting in on this?
Whete and to whom do we send FFL info if we opt in?

misawa

Quote from: Burnett on June 02, 2016, 09:47:18 PM
When is the deadline for getting in on this?
Whete and to whom do we send FFL info if we opt in?
This.  Not sure if I have convinced the CFO of my household that this is needed.

But it is.

Del

I may be interested depending on the design. Who approves the design and when will we know what is decided?

Kimber Custom

Up me to 2. One mid, one rifle length

StevenK

I'm in for ONE.  thanks!

Triskaideka

Count me in for one!

Mid-length gas block, 15" rail, and 5.56 if that is even an option.
June 4th-5th, 2016 - 1st Appleseed/Rifleman - Waterton, IL

Journey

So it looks like the deadline for the order is a week from today...

My vote at this point is for the current Appleseed logo. I think that it is easily recognizable and probably would turn out well on a receiver, as well as being unique to Appleseed. Has anyone done a count of how many commitments have been made, and what logo we're leaning toward? I think it'd be nice to start finalizing some of these details in the coming week.

Kholin

Agreed.  I would go for the Logo as well, in the same reverse styling as 3o8 indicated in post 26.  That said, I would vote for only the logo portion of that, enlarged, removing the date, flag, and 'Rifleman' from it. 

The flag and date for simplicity, and Rifleman because that should be reserved for those who have earned the patch, and that is not something that was being discussed for this (and that does not even get into transfers).

Kholin
---
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."― Tom Paine

"We must be willing to pay a price for freedom." -H.L. Mencken

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken

Specialkay

Out of curiosity, is this going to be a "one time print" and never seen again? Or is this just meant to be "round one"?

If multiple rounds are anticipated, having "Rifleman" incorporated becomes cumbersome to manage, and having a more consistent AS logo makes sense. If this is just a one time order, incorporating a more detailed and less "consistent" image doesn't really become that much of an issue, as long as that's what the majority of members that are placing an order today want.

I just want to make a distinction that if I make a choice on a logo, am I making a choice only for those who have said they want one and are able to voice their opinion? Or am I making a choice for future people who may want one later on, but aren't able to express an opinion today?
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

Burnett

Oh, WTH, I'm in for one.
Might I suggest the new logo but instead of "Project Appleseed" have them say "April 19, 1775".
The serial numbers could start with "PAS".

StevenK

Please include me for one. Kindly send details on where to pay, how to pay, how to transfer FFL info, etc.

Thank you for this effort.

SWOFO

I'm In, Please tell me where to send the Money.
Going to Appleseed at Malabar Gun Club this weekend.

Tks,
SWOFO (Surface Warfare Officer/Naval Flight Officer)

Iwuzme

I'd like to be included too.

Esar145

Please send info to too!
Want one but need to find a good FFL in neighborhood.
Will be at Appleseed @ Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol club
end of this month (Northern Cal near Oregon border.
Thanks O0
Life is too short to miss your target!

Burnett

Is this going to happen?
I want this to happen.
Build it into a .22LR.
Let's make this happen.

Burnett

To the original poster... can W get some follow up on this?

kylemason

Quote from: Burnett on June 18, 2016, 01:26:22 PM
To the original poster... can W get some follow up on this?

Smoak asked that all interested PM him so he can get a count, so make sure you have done that..  I know that the 3 week cut off just ended and I am pretty sure he will be updating us as soon as he has more details.

Burnett

I'm not a paid member so I cannot pm people.

308LIBERTY

Here's the artwork without the word "Rifleman"
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

TheMenace

Very cool graphic. I like it!
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

308LIBERTY

This is just the standard RWVA logo. The only issue with this image is that it's not an original vector graphic and I think Isaac Davis looks a little weird when you reverse the image like this. It's from something I essentially "vectorized" and re-created for my own purposes. I don't even know if original vector art exists for it but I would highly recommend trying to utilize that instead of this image if it's available. As for my opinion, I like the other design better (with the new logo and the flag fading into it (which can easily be tweaked a little, to give it the best possible appearance when etched.)
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Burnett

Quote from: Burnett on June 18, 2016, 08:34:05 PM
I'm not a paid member so I cannot pm people.
Wait... it appears I can PM people. Wrong forum.
I'll try.

B.C.

A rifleman is persistently patient  :)
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Kholin

Smoak,

Apologies if I am out of line, but it has now been 5 weeks since your initial email.  Re-reading your initial post, it appears that the order would have had to be placed 2 weeks ago. 

Can you confirm if this is still a reality, and if so, provide timelines when you will be reaching out for additional needed info (FFL, shipping address for shipping costs, etc.)?  I am just trying to determine if continuing to wait will be a useful endeavor, or if I should start looking elsewhere (I have a nice collection of parts at home, and nothing to connect them to - They are getting lonely ;D)

Kholin

Quote from: smoakingun on May 26, 2016, 06:59:07 PM
I have been presented with an opportunity to do something cool.
A shop in Jacksonville does short runs of high quality AR's. If 25 or more of us want to place an order, he will stamp any logo or picture we want into the receiver. Maybe Issac Davis or a colonial flag? A stripped upper, lower, and your choice of length key mod rail,$180.00 If interested, PM me. I have 3 weeks to place the order.
---
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."― Tom Paine

"We must be willing to pay a price for freedom." -H.L. Mencken

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken

smoakingun

Ok. Followup time.
I wanted to give folks a chance to get in and see wh what intrest there was. We have almost 50. That'll do.
I had a face to face with the shop today. Because of the high interest, we will not be piggybacking on someone elses order, we will be placing our own. By the end of the week I should have a an order sheet set up with the manufacturer and you will be able to sign up for whatever combination of parts you want
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

NightFisher

smoakingun

this will likely be the image on the lower
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson