News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR group buy

Started by smoakingun, May 26, 2016, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.

For those who have not yet experienced the joy of building their very own AR, I recommend watching this build
video:

https://youtu.be/p8sY5CQmlHI
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

topper

Pine Ridge Puma

Howdy!

Interesting deal.  A couple of questions, I don't have any experience with AR's or building them.  What caliber are you talking about?  What all is included with your price?

Thanks

PRP
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them,  and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

B.C.

Hello PRP,

The AR can be 223 or 556 depending on the chamber in the barrel you will need to purchase for a build. Smoak is getting us these parts only for 180.00:

Stripped upper receiver
Stripped lower receiver
Free float rail in your choice of length
Barrel nut
Gas block

I recommend you get a barrel chambered in 556 - you'll be able to use 223 and 556. A barrel chambered in 223 will only be able to shoot 223 and not 556.
Watch this video for all the details of an AR build:

https://youtu.be/p8sY5CQmlHI

I hope this answers your questions.

mecreos

NightFisher

You can also build a 300 Blackout on this Lower/Upper but I would stick with the 5.56 for my first AR.

Agrivere

You can count me in for one, with a rifle length rail.

For those looking for barrels to go with this, I highly recommend a 223 Wylde chamber. It is basically the same as a NATO chamber, and can shoot 5.56 ammo, but has a slightly shorter leade which improves accuracy. It really is the best of both worlds.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

henschman

I'm in for one set.  I have a service rifle build planned that this will be perfect for.
I don't really need the handguard, but I'll take one in 15" or whatever the longest length is. 

As far as roll mark goes, I would like something along the lines of the oval patch. 

The list of all the calibers you could build a rifle for on this receiver set is a pretty long one. 

If we're talking .223/5.56 chambers, I say 5.56 for 2A purpose rifles, .223 Wilde (or any of the other match chambers various mfg's offer that are pretty much the same thing) for competition rifles.  There is really no point to a plain .223 chamber.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

300blackoutguy

Prolly ought no to do it but .. I'm in for 1
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul."

Specialkay

I don't intend to derail or hijack this thread, but a few discussions of choices on build have been thrown around, as well as help on how to actually build an AR15. But does anyone know a good article, or source, that accurately summarizes the pros and cons of the different build types? A1-A4/Flattop upper, different lengths, twist ratios, grips, ect.

I can't decide between building a carbine and a rifle, or a match and a plinkering gun.
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

spitstickler

Quote from: Specialkay on June 01, 2016, 11:44:29 AM
I can't decide between building a carbine and a rifle, or a match and a plinkering gun.

One of each!  ^:)^

All joking aside, a flat top upper offers a lot more flexibility with sighting systems. Want irons? Throw on some flip-ups or a carry handle.   Want a red-dot or a magnified optic? ...just put it on. If you use a name brand QD mount, you'll even be able to return to zero and switch between glass options. (YMMV, but the Larue mounts have saved me a ton of range trips and expense to re-zero after an optics change. They have easily paid for themselves in this regard.)

Most of these choices you speak of, and others, come down to personal preference and what the intended purpose of the firearm is. There are lots of videos on youtube discussing pros and cons of barrel length, profile, gas system length, muzzle devices, triggers, etc. Also be aware of trends as they are constantly changing. Sometimes for the good, but often because someone with a big name totes out a new piece of gear.

The great thing about the AR15 platform, is that you can try something, and if you don't like it, it's relatively easy to change. Parts changes are for the most part, very straight forward and require minimal tools.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Ghostring

Thanks for looking into this!!

Put me down for two, please, both 15" rifle.  I like the oval patch design, myself.
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

spitstickler

I like the oval patch. However, It'd be pretty small on the same side as the serial number. The space available seems to be somewhere about .75" high to give you some idea.

I'm okay with that, but I don't know how fine of detail they can accomplish. Smoakinggun would just have to ask and see if this is doable or not.

edit:  Added mockup of Rifleman with Betsy Ross as alternative. Personally, I like the look of this better. Simple and straightforward.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

maxwell

Quote from: spitstickler on June 01, 2016, 12:30:04 PM
The great thing about the AR15 platform, is that you can try something, and if you don't like it, it's relatively easy to change. Parts changes are for the most part, very straight forward and require minimal tools.

Yep, and you can even have multiple upper receiver/barrel assemblies for use with the same lower/buttstock assembly; swapping them is as easy as pushing out the takedown pins. I'd love to get in on this deal, but I've already built an A2 service rifle and a 20" hbar plinker (by accident) this year. If there's a chance to get just the lower I'd be all over it, but don't want to complicate things for the OP.

Cable___Guy

I think we are getting close to the magic number, Can I start buying parts yet ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

NightFisher

I am playing with the idea of using this set to build up a 6.5 Grendel.  I have heard good things about their accuracy.  The downside is that there is not much brass out there and what I can find is pretty pricey.  Anyone have one of these?  Is it worth the cost and trouble?

Burnett

Are they roll stamped or laser engraved?

Greg

9mm4545

You can put RG and me down for a rifle each.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

B.C.

Wow, I count 25 patriots so far requesting the parts. The magic number has been achieved. Lets roll on it! My parts box at home is patiently waiting, sort of  :)

300blackoutguy

Quote from: mecreos on June 02, 2016, 09:38:24 AM
Wow, I count 25 patriots so far requesting the parts. The magic number has been achieved. Lets roll on it! My parts box at home is patiently waiting, sort of  :)
Only one parts box? How can that be? I have a drawer!
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul."

StevenK

Am i to understand that the entire rifle is 180 with the stamp?  That seems very good.

Burnett

No, you'll still need a barrel and gas tube, bolt and carrier group, lower parts kit and stock and buffer assemblies. And sights. And charging handle. And forward assist and dust cover.

B.C.

I really like this stamp, a lot. Thanks spitstickler.

DrRichP

I like the Rifleman badge as a stamp, but we would need to ensure the parts only go to Rifleman much like trying to get a Rifleman item through the AS store. Hence I would likely not choose this option. Who knows whose hands a Rifleman stamped receiver could end up going to in the future.

Isaac Davis is nice; however, the Isaac Davis logo is largely a function of the RWVA which we are moving away from as far as branding. That is why our new T-Shirts have replaced the Isaac Davis logo with the Appleseed logo which has the Isaac Davis's silohette.

I am going to strongly advocate for the current approved Appleseed logo to be used as it will remain current for a longtime to come, does not have to be exclusive to Rifleman, and promotes Appleseed.

DrRichP
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

NightFisher

Quote from: mecreos on June 02, 2016, 01:30:54 PM
I really like this stamp, a lot. Thanks spitstickler.

But, but, but....  I haven't earned my patch yet.  :'( :'( :'(

DrRichP

Quote from: NightFisher on June 02, 2016, 02:04:28 PM
Quote from: mecreos on June 02, 2016, 01:30:54 PMI really like this stamp, a lot. Thanks spitstickler.

But, but, but....  I haven't earned my patch yet.  :'( :'( :'(

See what I mean folks. The Rifleman badge is not really the best choice. Sorry.

NightFisher. To quote an ancient Chinese proverb "No tickey, no laundry".

I guess you'd better get to shooting that Rifleman score and becoming a SB in training (i.e., an Orange hat). ;)

DrRichP
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Specialkay

Personally, I like 3o8's design in post #26.

It has the AS new logo, with a little twist.

But hey, that's me.
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

spitstickler

Probably need to hear back from Smoak to see what's even possible with the tools the vendor has before everyone gets entrenched on what design they want or don't want.

SteelThunder

Put me down for 1.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with it (with 9 ARs already in the stable) but someday maybe I'll figure it out.

15" handguard
Official Project Appleseed logo

ST2
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

DrRichP

Quote from: SteelThunder on June 02, 2016, 02:51:59 PMI have no idea what I'm going to do with it (with 9 ARs already in the stable) but someday maybe I'll figure it out.

I think I am going to take the one with my special serial number and build a 'Mona Lisa' tribute rifle with the wood stocks just like the poster. Then I might just sell raffle tickets for it to raise $ for Appleseed. If I raffle it off next year at NRAAM for say ... $25  per ticket, I might be able to raise ~$5K for Appleseed. The possibilities are endless. :pop:
DrRichP

TheMenace

Ok, I can't stand it any longer. I'm in too. I like Isaac Davis with the musket and plow or an AS logo.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9