News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Emergency GoFundMe Campaign for Friends in Need

Started by Melissa, June 10, 2015, 03:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa

Apologies if this is off-topic-- please feel free to relocate as necessary-- however, I feel the need to spread this wherever I can.

These wonderful friends of mine are in a short yet dire emergency, and have requested that I pass the word on; for those who may not know them, they are Appleseeders (a Red Hat & a Blue Hat), genuinely good, hardworking people and true friends of Liberty. Wes (almost eighteen) struggles with multiple disabling health issues, and his mother, Kim (kilakiwi on the forum) is in financial straits which could result in their eviction by the end of the month. Please consider donating and spreading the word; they will appreciate any help that can possibly be given.

Link to GoFundMe Campaign: http://www.gofundme.com/wdd5czs

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Melissa

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Guntuckian

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

BeSwift

Donation made. Shared on FB to rally some more troops..
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Melissa

Thank you all so much for your kindness and generosity!

Fred

Donation and FB.

I'm usually skeptical of this kind of stuff, but Appleseed family is different...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

GTEngineer

Done.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleerâ„¢:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleerâ„¢ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Taylor

Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Two Wolves

Just a warning, now that I made this donation I'm getting solicitations for other in need families. I might wish that I had not.
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

malabar

Fred's right -- they're Appleseed family.  Wes struggles with debilitating health issues.  But in true Appleseed tradition, he has reached two of his primary goals -- graduating with a 4.0, and getting his red hat.

With a little help, we'll be seeing him on the firing lines for a long time to come.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

MagnumFarce

kilakiwi

^:)^
OH, my gosh!! I knew that Appleseeders were donating to us like crazy, but until just now when Ohio kicked in $300(THANK YOU OHIO FRIENDS!!!) I hadn't gotten over here to the forum to see if there was a thread. Melissa, thank you so much for sharing this! Wow. You are not only a true friend of Liberty, but a true friend of mine and Wes'. You all have gone so far above and beyond, I can hardly believe it.

This morning we were hit with 3 more financial/medical issues, and I thought I was literally going to lose my mind. But a few minutes later, I got a notice that our Ohio Appleseed friends, whom we've never met, have donated $300 on top of so many, many other generous gifts you've all given us, and I was so relieved. We're going to make it thanks to all of you.

I know you're all the kind of people who don't expect or need thanks, but please know that you have done far more for us than you could possibly realize. I don't even know what else to say.

I am sorry to hear that some of you have been pitched for other fundraisers after sharing with us, and I understand that some of you may be skeptical. But if you ask our current and former shoot bosses (and friends), they'll tell you that Wes and I are usually first out to the range on Saturday morning with brooms and trash cans in hand, and last to leave after Sunday cleanup. I've slept in the car with pneumonia waiting for Wes to instruct before he was old enough to drive up on his own, and we'll be in the trenches whenever we can be (and sometimes when we can't) going forward. That's not to brag though, it's just to say that they know us well. I can't brag, because I've seen you all do so much more, giving up weekends with family and doing shoot boss duties with laryngitis and using carpal-tunnel afflicted wrists to pull a shooter's bolt back and then packing your cars and trailers to their breaking point, going home exhausted and having to clean everything up, only to get up and do it again whenever and wherever you were needed.

Now imagine a kid like Wes going to his first Appleseed at age 12, making Rifleman and IIT at 15 and Instructor at 17, and imagine him seeing the kind of dedication you all showed him, and learning from you all to push through the pain and insecurity. He wasn't there back in Pennsylvania when his Vernon ancestors came over with Wm. Penn, but he does have an appreciation for what was sacrificed on his behalf thanks to Appleseed. And Wes never had a team sport. He couldn't possibly have run and thrown or kicked balls, but he had something to proudly tell people when they asked what his sport was. Marksmanship.

Now you've also shown him how Americans make it through winter together. You helped to raise our barn when we were alone, just as the storm set in. That lesson will take Wes a long way in the right direction.

And P.S. Sacramento gang, I never thanked you properly for being so kind to Wes as he struggled through his first Dangerous Old Man story when we visited you a couple of years ago. It was agonizing to see him struggle with every single word, but you were all so kind and patient with him, that he gained the confidence to eventually look at people as he told his stories. And if you haven't heard him go ballistic on late shooters, you wouldn't believe he was the same kid. ("SHOOTERS! CEASE FIRE IS NOT A SUGGESTION! IT IS AN ORDER!") Makes a mama proud.

THANK YOU!!!!! ALL OF YOU! We WILL pay this forward!

Kim/kilakiwi (and Wes/Relentless)

NorCal22Gal

Kim,

That is awesome!  I'm soooo glad he made Red Hat and has come so far. 

Anytime you want/are able to come out to our neck of the woods you are more than welcome...that means Sac, Red Bluff, or Hat Creek... come on out.

Laurie

kilakiwi

Thank you, Laurie!! Your cadre is amazing, and you were all so good to us when we visited. If you can find us some shade on the range(!), we'll do our best to make it up there this summer. We'll see if we can even drag Haleson and the other CV-ers with us. That would be so much fun!

NorCal22Gal

Hey Kim....Hat Creek is at 3000 feet, in the pines, the shooting line is shaded.   ;)

kilakiwi

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on June 16, 2015, 06:11:56 PM
Hey Kim....Hat Creek is at 3000 feet, in the pines, the shooting line is shaded.   ;)

ROAD TRIP!!!

NorCal22Gal

^:)^  June 27-28, July 25-26, Oct 31-Nov 1  Tell Wes....KD on Sunday.... :D