News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Another Whittemore Link

Started by Cal 7.62, November 14, 2008, 03:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal 7.62

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

TaosGlock

Good stuff, especially the early history of Whittemore.
Helps to frame the man for Apr. 19, 1775. There is a similar bit in Tourtellot's book on Whittemore's  near fatal incident right near  Cooper's Tavern.

Reading further about this interesting incident from other sources, with slightly different takes, we find that inside the Tavern were two "drunken lingerers" or "topers" who refused to heed the call. Whittemore sure could have used some help, even their help, assuming they could actually shoot in their condition. These two were killed, actually mutilated by the Regulars who stormed the Tavern shortly after their bloody encounter with Whittemore.   Anyone who "looked like they could have fired" was shot on the spot by the Regulars.

Lot's of lessons and analogies here.

I see many "drunken lingerers" today among our ranks on other forums and in everyday life. Drunk on collecting, hobby shooting, not fighting the soft war and simply whining about how bad our situation is.  That is not eternal vigillance.

I plan to reach as many as possible with the AS message.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx Cal762
I sure enjoyed reading this . ;D
Further Im really pleased to have you onboard.
Looking forward to working a shoot with you.
My best regards
JA (Richard)
Ps SS told me you did a great job ;)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge