News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Revolutionary War firelocks

Started by hogfamily, November 25, 2014, 08:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfamily

For those that are interested in the firelocks, aka flintlocks, and other weapons used in the Revolutionary War here are few books I have recently read and recommend. All can be found on Amazon.

My favorite. Great photos and history of the Brown Bess.

Here are two others that I have found to be very informative.

One of the things I have learned reading about the weapons of the Rev War is that the notion that British soldiers were not taught marksmanship and to aim their muskets is incorrect.

"The Regiments are frequently practiced at firing ball at marks. Six rounds pr man at each time is usually allotted for this practice. As our Regiment is quartered on a Wharf which Projects into the harbour, and there is very considerable range without any obstruction, we have fixed figures of men as large as life, made of thin boards, on small stages, which are anchored at a proper distance from the end of the Wharf, at which the men fire. Objects afloat, which move up and down with the tide, are frequently pointed out for them to fire at, and Premiums are sometimes given for the best shots, by which means some of our men have become excellent marksmen"

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/08/the-aim-of-british-soldiers/
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

slim

I heard a theory recently that the Redcoats at North Bridge were not horrible marksmen that looked away when they fired. In fact, the theory goes, they were actually great shots that hit the first two - and only the first two - minutemen coming down the hill toward them as a warning to the rest.

Very interesting theory to say the least...and apparently supported by the historical text.  :pop:

SPQR

I've heard it said that the head of the snake was cut off when the Minutemen shot four of eight officers. Who did the regulars shoot and what position did he hold? 

We shouldn't confuse our lore with academia and we shouldn't forget that the emotional turn of the story may be Davis's death but the key to it is what happened next.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Shooter30-06

Excellent post!  In every army there have always been soldiers or units who take their marksmanship more seriously than some of the others and I suspicion that was also the case in the British Army.  I have always been a little suspicious of the assertion that an entire army did not concern itself with marksmanship when their lives may be on the line.  I have also supposed that the Colonial Militia were generally better marksman because of the hunting and foraging they did as a matter of sustenance.   
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe