News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Where are you West Virginia?

Started by SamD, November 03, 2008, 02:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

I know we have shooters in W Va,and  I know we have at least one Appleseed participant in the state.
Step forward and be recognized.
Surely at least one of you will answer the call.
Where are you?

Sam

The Machine

I'll make it short and sweet...

Keep your shirt on Sam, the Mountaineers are coming aboard! ;D  I have been in contact with some of the folks at Appleseed and we are in the process of setting up a range for the April 19, 2009 shoot. Details will be posted as they become available.

I am going to volunteer as a WV liaison--or something to that effect--as was mentioned in a solicitation on another area of this forum. I know quite a few people in high and low places, so I will be actively working these potential recruits to spread the word around.

Frank
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

SamD

Thank you Frank.
I've given up on all my kin down in Mullens and Bluefield and have been petitioning the Tennessee contingent to invade. ;D
I know you'll make a good job of it.

Sam

The Machine

Quote from: SamD on December 01, 2008, 09:50:48 PM
I've given up on all my kin down in Mullens and Bluefield and have been petitioning the Tennessee contingent to invade. ;D
Surely not! I think it would be easier to sell ice cubes to an Eskimo, than trying to get some West Virginians to motivate. :D

Quote from: SamD on December 01, 2008, 09:50:48 PM
I know you'll make a good job of it.
I will certainly do my best. ;)

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

Dirty Bill

I'm about 40 minutes north of Wheeling. I just joined RWVA. Anxious to attend appleseed shoot. :D
"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions,who at the dawn of victory,sat down to rest,and while resting,Died.

"Watch the Wind..."

SamD

Fantastic Bill.
There will be Appleseed in WbG this year. O0
Make sure you introduce yourself to the Machine, and roust some more Mountaineers for the shoot.
You'll be a solid organization before the shoot.

Sam

Old Dog

Man, WV is tough.

How do you convince folks to go someplace to learn to shoot a rifle when so many of them can step out onto the back porch and shoot?  Let alone walk out in the back yard, walk up the holler above the garden, drive out on the strippin' and shoot anywhere from up close to hundreds of yards?

Many of them have been shootin' rifles since they were in elementary school.  Deer hunting is mostly rifles, any rifle just about.  Many states don't even allow rifles for deer hunting, or have either caliber restrictions or type of action restrictions.

My cousin lives in Greenbrier County.  He's been trying to talk two different hunt clubs he belongs to into hosting an Appleseed and just can't seem to get them interested.  They figure they already know how to shoot those rifles.

How do you convince them there is something they can learn about shooting a rifle?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

SamD

Make 'em put up or shutup.
Hang out the targets and Show them. Of course you had better be able to deliver &)
After you take their soap money away, they'll get their dander up for a week or two and then one day they'll slide up and say, ya know that was pretty good, how'd ya do that shooting anyway?

After that it's easy 8)

Sam

Dirty Bill

Quote from: Old Dog on December 17, 2008, 10:06:06 PM
Man, WV is tough.

How do you convince folks to go someplace to learn to shoot a rifle when so many of them can step out onto the back porch and shoot?  Let alone walk out in the back yard, walk up the holler above the garden, drive out on the strippin' and shoot anywhere from up close to hundreds of yards?

Many of them have been shootin' rifles since they were in elementary school.  Deer hunting is mostly rifles, any rifle just about.  Many states don't even allow rifles for deer hunting, or have either caliber restrictions or type of action restrictions.

My cousin lives in Greenbrier County.  He's been trying to talk two different hunt clubs he belongs to into hosting an Appleseed and just can't seem to get them interested.  They figure they already know how to shoot those rifles.

How do you convince them there is something they can learn about shooting a rifle?

Well,ya know....that kind of made me smile....I started shooting when I was 5 years old..my Dad took me to go shooting. It was a winchester model 1890 pump,that was handed down by my Grand father,who bought it from Sears and roebuck for 2.00 dollars..22 short.. I still have it and it still shoots well.

Now,to address the question of being able to step off the back porch,etc,etc. This is true for a lot of West Virginia. In my area though,areas are not as easy to find,though there are some available. I'm in the northern panhandle,so it's more crowded and more and more land is used for development.

I can be in ohio or pennsylvainia in less than 30 minutes. I am thinking right now of 3 clubs that I can inform of the appleseed project. One of which is 15 minutes away. I have already told one gun shop that has a range,and the owner was very interested.

I have a friend in VA that has a 100 acre farm that I told about aplsd,and he has already been in touch with some one from the organization about using his place..

So, Wv will catch up,and I might add most of us are fair shots. The folks downstate aren't as easy to convince,but they will come along after the word is out about the expert rifleman being produced.  ;)
"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions,who at the dawn of victory,sat down to rest,and while resting,Died.

"Watch the Wind..."

jmdavis

Quote from: SamD on December 17, 2008, 10:24:08 PM
Make 'em put up or shutup.
Hang out the targets and Show them. Of course you had better be able to deliver &)
After you take their soap money away, they'll get their dander up for a week or two and then one day they'll slide up and say, ya know that was pretty good, how'd ya do that shooting anyway?

After that it's easy 8)

Sam

Invariably, the ones I know will say. "Ah that's just a target. I can't hit nothin' unless it's got fur."
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

SamD

QuoteAh that's just a target. I can't hit nothin' unless it's got fur.
;D

I got a pal like that. lives in Elkins. Always picking up chunks of metal, right after I chopped them of something with teh smoke wrench.

What s wrong Roy burn yourself?, Naw, just done looking at it 8)

Sam

The Machine

QuoteI'm about 40 minutes north of Wheeling. I just joined RWVA. Anxious to attend appleseed shoot.

Dirty Bill, "welcome to the jungle", and check your PM.  ;D

Maryetta

Maryetta Ables here near Sutton WV - I know Frank, we live about a half hour apart.  I am from California, hubby was born here and when he retired he came "home", we have been here for about 15 years now so it is home.  It is now what CA was when I was a child in the northern part of the state, up around Mt. Shasta.  That area is way over populated now. 
I have had the same rifle for 36 years, a 300 Savage, and with the same scope until recently.  I had to replace the scope a few weeks ago and found out that I don't know how to target practice!  I have always just gone out and shot without having to practice, it never occurred to me to "practice".   200 yd head shots are natural and easy, but a piece of paper at 100 yards or 50 yards and I am all over the place!  Go figure!!
I have 50 acres with a ridge running thru it N/S so with an eastern and western facing ridge for backstop, someone is supposed to come look at it, we'll see if it can "cut the mustard" or if I can be of use in some other way/s.
Sutton is at the geographic center of WV, if you have a map with the exit numbers, I can see I-79, Exit 62 from the western side of my ridge.  I can see the Town of Sutton from the eastern side.
Anyone else out there hail from WV??

"Beware. Beware of the thing that is coming.
Beware of the risen people, who shall take what ye would not give.
Did you think to conquer the people? Or that law is stronger than life, or than man's desire to be free?"
Padraig Pearse

Old Dog

Well, unfortunately, being from WV ain't the same as still bein' there.

I've gone mostly since 1975 when I went in the Army after High School (Greenbrier West) but it's still "home" to me and my wife.  We get home 5 or 6 times a year now (but would like to start going back more often).  It'll always be "home", whether we get back there to stay or not.

Its still tough to pack up and drive back down here after a weekend.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Maryetta

I know what you mean Old Dog, I (of course) don't know where you are now, but when the mountains and trees call the heart, there is no other place that can satisfy the soul.  I learned that years ago. If you are ever driving across I-79 give us a shout and we'll meet you for a coffee break, or feed you on your way through!

Did you think to conquer the people? Or that law is stronger than life, or than man's desire to be free?"
Padraig Pearse

SamD

Ya'll are spoiled.
Did, have no I-79.
Had to drive that nasty old US 19. ;D

SAm

Maryetta

Oh - You mean "blood alley"...  I drove that also when we first moved here - what a nightmare it was!  between I-79 and I-77S to Beckley it is now a 4 lane highway (not freeway - cross roads ya know). 
Padraig Pearse

Old Dog

"Corridor L".  That was supposed to be I79.  The politicians got I79 diverted to Charleston so they could make a quick trip to and from Morgantown for WVU games.

I once got a speeding ticket on Rt. 19 for 79 mph in a 55 mph zone.  Good thing those two state troopers clocked me topping out that hill and not going down the other side. 8)

Like I said awhile back, get those Appleseeds set up on the right weekend and I'll try to make it up there for one or two.  You guys are about an hour from my mom and dad.  I can take a 4 day weekend, stop at their house, spend a couple nights of the weekend with them before and after the Appleseed.

The Machine

Hey OD, just to give you and others a heads up if traveling Rt. 19 to an AS--watch Summersville. The speed limit makes a sharp drop from 60 mph down to 25 mph, and believe me, anything over 25 is a guaranteed ticket.

Summersville is so renowned for speeding tickets, they have bumper stickers around here that say: "Summersville, World's Biggest Speed Trap".  >:(  And they love out of state tags!

It's been a real cash cow for the town. Court costs are up to $100.00 now, and the speeding fine is a tacked on bonus. For the size of  Summersville, they have an extremely disproportionate number of police cruisers, and other tools of the trade. I hear patrolman salary isn't too shabby either.

[Dirty Harry voice] "So ya feeling lucky today?"

Buzzstrike

I know the feeling.  When I run up there to visit my daughter in Cowen and son in Webster Springs, I can FEEL the eyes and radars/lazer of the local yolkes in Summersville.  They must like the view of my Georgia plates.

I know what you say of the call of the mountians.  I feel it ever time I come back home.  Be it off of Rt 19 in Summersville visiting the kids or trying to dodge the potholes of Rt 2 between Wheeling and Weirton.

Buzz.
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

The Machine

QuoteWhen I run up there to visit my daughter in Cowen and son in Webster Springs...

I have several friends in that area and my wife has kin up on Cranberry Ridge, outside of Camden-on-Gauley. Maybe we can connect next time you're up that way.

Now that we are going to hold ASs in WV, you HAVE encouraged your kids to attend, right? ;D

Buzzstrike

Quote from: The Machine on December 24, 2008, 10:49:28 PM
QuoteWhen I run up there to visit my daughter in Cowen and son in Webster Springs...

Now that we are going to hold ASs in WV, you HAVE encouraged your kids to attend, right? ;D

I always involve family.  My youngest one who is 16 went with me on the last AS here in Ga.

I will give them a heads up when you get your DAR up and running. 
Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

The Machine

QuoteI will give them a heads up when you get your DAR up and running.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

GunnerJim

Say Mr. Machine,

Down here in Athens we have one traffic light and 1.3 cops. Rte 20 runs right through the heart of town.

I've lived here since Aug and the first time I saw the cop was yesterday, he was walking into the town hall.

Gunner Jim

@&)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
George Washington

Maryetta

I know where Athens is!!  I do get down to the Princeton area once in a while on business.  Nice to meet ya Gunner Jim - I am just outside of Sutton. <:)

Sutton has no stop lights, about 1,100 residents, and about 5,771 households in our county - we have such a "terrible" crime rate (practically non-existent)  that the feds have "granted ($) into existence" no less than: 3 town police, 15 sheriffs, and a state police detachment with a regional jail - oh, did I mention at least 3 officers in our high school of less than 800 students also....   %)

- Maryetta
Padraig Pearse

The Machine

Howdy Gunner Jim,

If you're not a fan of traffic lights, you'll love Calhoun County, since there aren't any here at all. Unless, they snuck one in while my back was turned! >:(

We do have some police presence, but they kinda do it "old school", on an as-needed basis. Since most of us in Calhoun own guns, we maintain civility through our own form of "citizen justice". Gunfire is the universal language around here :~ and we only call in the dogs when needed. @&)

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the introduction. Now if you would kindly study this thread, the top part:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4974.0
We'll put you to work immediately to help save the country! <:)

TracyWV

Tracy

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." — Samuel Adams
Campaign for Liberty

The Machine

Quote from: TracyWV on January 22, 2009, 06:48:36 PM
Charleston area reporting in.

Hello again Tracy, I saw your post in the other "Appleseed is taking root in WV" thread, and my question about where you were from has been answered here.

You are about 40 - 45 miles from our farm, so we are practically neighbors.  :)

I listened to the "Call to Decision" show and a fella named Bill called in mentioning your name and someone else.  We are planning on having a get together in March at the farm to do some shooting and strategizing, so you and your buddies are invited. I hope to see all of you soon, please keep in touch.

Militiaman71

Hello guys I'm kinda new to the Appleseed project. This is my first post. I was in Clay Co. a couple weekends ago to volunteer in setting up the range. Hope all is going well.

"And that said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress...to prevent the people of the Unites States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms"
-Sam Adams
Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer
Aug 20, 1789

\"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.\" <br />- Mark Twain

The Machine

Hey, I know you M71...but I'm trying to figure out which one of the gang YOU were.  ;D

I really appreciated all the hard work that you guys did. FYI, you were in Calhoun County (Stinson), not Clay County, as you thought. No biggie though, since one edge of the property almost sits in that "other" county.

Are you going to come out for the March 21-22 shoot; to try the new range that you worked on? Better yet, why don't you come and drag some of those other fellas with you?

If you haven't looked at it yet, check the 3 stickys at the top of the WV board to see the schedule and needs of our program. There's a place for you in the WV Appleseed program, and I'll gladly help you find it.  <:)

Anyhow, welcome aboard!