News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Where are you West Virginia?

Started by SamD, November 03, 2008, 02:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunnerJim

I have a job for M71. He can clean my rifles before and after the Apr shoot! LOL. ;)

I'm so darn tired from working around the house that I'm lucky if I can clean my glasses! ;D
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
George Washington

Barry-WV

I am near Ft Gay WV and am new to Appleseed.
I just completed my first one at Toccoa.

SamD

Looks like WV is finally on the Appleseed map.
Won't have to get Tennessee to invade ya's after all.

I'd love to be there. Hope it's a favorably memorable shoot

Sam

The Machine

Quote from: Barry-WV on March 19, 2009, 07:02:41 PM
I am near Ft Gay WV and am new to Appleseed.
I just completed my first one at Toccoa.

Welcome, and glad to have you Barry!

We are just getting things fired up in WV; our first shoot is this weekend. I will be relying on folks like yourself to help spread the word and get bodies on the firing line.

I see you already attended an Appleseed, so you already--or should--have your bailing bucket and can continue to build on what you learned, to share with others. So, I encourage you to attend our April 18-19 event and consider becoming part of our Instructor Corps. Also, we will be holding our own IBC in the near future here in WV, at the Stinson DAR location.

The two areas of focus right now are promotions and recruiting folks to become instructors. There's plenty of other jobs available and I'm sure there's one that would suit you. Please look over the "Positions Available" thread on the WV board and see if you can start bailing.

A great promotions effort was started recently called the EPT, and we need a couple of folks in our state to participate in it. It only requires a few hours a week at your keyboard, so PM me if you're interested.

If you need anything, just give me a shout.  @@)
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Old Dog

The Machine said, "instructors wanted".  Well, if folks haven't changed too much since I left WV in 1985 I think once you put that hat on and start instructing you'll feel that phrase change to "want to instruct".

I've been helping instruct at Appleseeds for 2 years now (I went to the 2nd RBC, held at Ramseur, NC, in Feb. 2007). 

You know why I like to instruct?  It's that look I see on people's faces when they start to "get it" and their groups tighten up and hit where they want them to hit.  That look on their face when they shoot that rifleman's score on the AQT.  The way their walk changes when they head back to the firing line knowing they've worked hard, improved their shooting and are about to be handed one of those green and black Rifleman patches.

Another draw for me is the varied types of rifles you see at Appleseeds.  Rifles I'll never own or shoot, but get a kick out of seeing others shoot.

Go to an Appleseed, ask the Shoot Boss about becoming an instructor and start working your way up the ladder to instructor (or farther if that's what "trips your trigger") and you'll see just how "right" it is to share you knowledge and experience on shooting a rifle better with the new folks who come to an Appleseed to learn that.

Appleseeds are different.  The instructors do it for free.  No pay.  No glory.  Just an understanding that what they are doing needs to be done met by the willingness to donate their time and effort to get it done.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Militiaman71

I was the one with the OD Green Jungle fatigues, Machete, & Bushmaster AR-15.  I'm not sure if I can make it in march, But I do have plans for the Apr 19th weekend.
\"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.\" <br />- Mark Twain

The Machine

Quote from: Militiaman71 on March 20, 2009, 01:53:47 PM
I was the one with the OD Green Jungle fatigues, Machete, & Bushmaster AR-15.  I'm not sure if I can make it in march, But I do have plans for the Apr 19th weekend.

You picked a good screen name, since that's what I called you that Sat.--militiaman.  ^-^

Well, I'll give you a pass on our inaugural shoot, but if you miss the April one, I might be making a trip down Dunbar way.  &) ;D

BTW, I really liked your Bushmaster. You'll have to bring it with you in April for some long distance stuff.

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

Militiaman71

I'll be there. I may pawn my .22 and get a ruger 10/22 though.  I may even bring a few other rifles such as my AK & SKS.
\"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.\" <br />- Mark Twain

The Machine

That'll work. Looking forward to seeing you again. In the meantime, if you could keep spreading the word about Appleseed, that would be the most helpful thing you could do right now.

TracyWV

Hello MM71,
Glad to see you found your way through the internet to our spot on the Appleseed forum.
Thanks again for the help with the black doughnut invasion.
Tracy

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." — Samuel Adams
Campaign for Liberty

Dirty Bill

Sadly,I wasn't able to make the march shoot.The cold virus got me. I hope the shoot went well.  I fully intend to be there in April.   
                           Dirty Bill
"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions,who at the dawn of victory,sat down to rest,and while resting,Died.

"Watch the Wind..."

vanrichten

South Charleston checking in here. :)

I grew up in Clay, just off the Big Otter exit actually, my folks still live on the family farm up there.  Practically neighbors!   O0

I plan on attending the April shoot and have been passing out the flyer to like minded folks here at work.  TM, there is  PM inbound with stuff I can help out with.
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Welcome to the program vanrichten! I actually read and responded to your PM before I saw this post, so I won't rehash what was in it.

Since your family is only a few miles from our DAR, that is pretty convenient, indeed.

We have some other members (TracyWV, Militiaman71) who live down in the Dunbar area, that probably aren't too far from where you live. You'll get to meet them at the April shoot. Nice guys...just don't say "black doughnut" around them...brings up unpleasant memories!  ;D

I'm glad you're coming to the April 18-19 event; it will be a reunion of sorts, since the entire WV Appleseed team should be there. It will give us all an opportunity to fellowship, and formulate a game plan on how we can make Appleseed "viral" in WV.  <:) Looking forward to meeting you...

TracyWV

Quote from: The Machine on March 30, 2009, 09:13:30 PM
We have some other members (TracyWV, Militiaman71) who live down in the Dunbar area, that probably aren't too far from where you live. You'll get to meet them at the April shoot. Nice guys...just don't say "black doughnut" around them...brings up unpleasant memories!  ;D...

"black doughnut"  arrrggg!  &)

Welcome indeed vanrichten.  Looks like you've got neighbors at both ends.
Tracy

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." — Samuel Adams
Campaign for Liberty

vanrichten

Just wish I would have paid more attention when this was getting ramped up so I could have helped get the range started.  Glad to be here now though :)  Looking forward to the shoot in a couple of weeks.  Need to get to the range soon and get some practice in!
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Vanrichten, don't be disappointed, we're still in the "ramp up" stage. You are still considered a "foundational" member in WV Appleseed. Now, doesn't that make you feel better?  ;D

As for the DAR range...still plenty of work to be done.

I want to expand the long range section from 100 meters out to at least 200-300 meters. This will require some able bodies with chain saws and brush cutting equipment.

Perhaps one of the most interesting projects is what I call "The Doghouse for Wayward Appleseeders"; i.e. the classroom/instructor bunkhouse. It will also serve as a sanctuary (doghouse) from cranky spouses/partners in time of need. We don't want any of our WV members sleeping in, or roaming the streets, when things go sour--relationship wise.   ::) ;D

There are other "side" projects that we will discuss with each other in April.

So, opportunities abound, and there's plenty of room for more new members to still get in on the ground floor. Thank's for doing your part; I'm inspired by your eagerness! O0

Old Dog

Quote from: The Machine on March 31, 2009, 02:16:50 PM
Perhaps one of the most interesting projects is what I call "The Doghouse for Wayward Appleseeders"; i.e. the classroom/instructor bunkhouse. It will also serve as a sanctuary (doghouse) from cranky spouses/partners in time of need. We don't want any of our WV members sleeping in, or roaming the streets, when things go sour--relationship wise.   ::) ;D

Do you mean the new "WV Appleseed Instructor Bunk House" for those folks whose spouses get aggravated about all the weekends they spend off Appleseeding? :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

vanrichten

Well, I love shooting and I love taking/teaching people to shoot.  This sort of environment, with the history and the camaraderie just makes it that much more appealing. 

As I said, my family farm is just up the road at Big Otter, so I can drive the tractor over with brush hog and a 3-point hitch post hole digger.  Makes things go by much faster.  Always eager to help get a new range set up and bring more people into the shooting sports  ;D

The Machine

QuoteDo you mean the new "WV Appleseed Instructor Bunk House" for those folks whose spouses get aggravated about all the weekends they spend off Appleseeding?  :)

BINGO! And we have a winner!  :D Why the interest OD? Is the wifey getting twitchy, or are you giving our future instructors some sage advice?  ;D

The Machine

QuoteAs I said, my family farm is just up the road at Big Otter, so I can drive the tractor over with brush hog and a 3-point hitch post hole digger.  Makes things go by much faster.  Always eager to help get a new range set up and bring more people into the shooting sports   ;D

Man, it doesn't get much better than this! I will even get you hooked-up with an AS sticker for that tractor (mobile advertising) and you will have your AS tee-shirt to wear after you attend the April event.

We even have a "sign guy" down in Dunbar. I'm thinking one might look good in your parent's yard... ;)

vanrichten

They are back in a holler  :D but I am sure I can put a sign up.  I am trying to get my dad to join me but not sure if he will yet or not.  I will happily put a sign in my yard in South Charleston though, much more traffic  @@)

Old Dog

Ever heard of the name the mountain area above Quinwood is called?  "Squat and dodge".  Named for the fighting that went on during Prohibition between the mountain folks that weren't about to let a bunch of out of state federal men tell them they couldn't make drinkin' likker.  Lots of fightin' went on up there.  Squattin' an dodgin' bullets, that's where the name Squat and Dodge came from.  It's a local name, not on a map.

Anyway, my wifewas raised up on that mountain.  She could outshoot with a .22 when we met (I had to practice to fix that situation) and has never minded me shooting, reloading, hunting, etc.  We've been married 32 years in June.  And no, she doesn't shoot anymore, so she won't be coming to the Appleseed.

See you at the WV DAR in 2.5 weeks.

The Machine

As originally posted by wvmmfalcon in another section of the WV boards.
QuoteHi Barry, I was scanning through the forum and ran across your name. Have you got your reloading outfit set up yet. There are a lot of people on this forum that could probably help more, but, I know a good bit also and will be happy to help if I can. We have at least met a couple of times. I need to get to know more people here so that I will know more about who knows what and can find out more that I want to know if I need it. I am on a learning expedition and there are several subjects that I strive to be learned at. I am a mechanic by profession and at heart(which helps me in many ways). Got stuff to do now. Catch ya later. Jeffrey

Barry-WV

I have the outfit in a box so it is portable.  I have the dies for .38/357 right now and
I would also like to be able to load .223 eventually.  Mechanic is a great profession,
a very needed profession.

wvmmfalcon

Jeffrey here from Wetzel co. A friend mentioned AS a while back and HERE I AM!

Barry i have a mobile outfit put together and will try to bring it along so we can compare the next time we meet. I am going to be at the August shoot. Jeffrey
Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe
I think, therefore I am dangerous (Q)

wvmmfalcon

I am in the middle of Wetzel Co. directly below the northern panhandle. Been living on a dirt/gravel/tar and chip Road for most of my life. The people that I talk to about AS seem interested but I am having trouble getting any of them to come. got some lines out yet and I am hoping that some of them will bite. I know that if they do, that they will come away with a better handle on who they are and how we got here.   Jeffrey   KYPD
Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe
I think, therefore I am dangerous (Q)

The Machine

Quote from: wvmmfalcon on July 17, 2009, 07:48:03 PM
I am in the middle of Wetzel Co. directly below the northern panhandle. Been living on a dirt/gravel/tar and chip Road for most of my life. The people that I talk to about AS seem interested but I am having trouble getting any of them to come. got some lines out yet and I am hoping that some of them will bite. I know that if they do, that they will come away with a better handle on who they are and how we got here.   Jeffrey   KYPD
Keep your chin up my friend, keep doing what your doing and some will come. Surely you know how "apprehensive" most West Virginians are of anything new?  ;)

Barry-WV

Glad to hear you have a mobil outfit Jeffery.  I really look forward to seeing it.
I should be at the next AS barring something unforseen coming up to prevent it.

SamD

Jerry,
There have got to be Riflemen in a county named for Lewis Wetzal, you just keep plugging, you are bound to scrape one off a sofa sooner or later.   You might ease up over the M-D into Greene Co. They got some Riflemen up there too.

Just fine 1-2 good ones

Sam