News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

I wish to be useful

Started by B9, October 29, 2008, 09:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Nathan Hale embarked on an espionage mission into New York as a volunteer.
Before leaving he said....

"I am not influenced by the expectation of promotion or pecuniary award; I wish to be useful, and every kind of service necessary to the public good becomes honorable by being necessary. If the exigencies of my country demand a peculiar service, its claims to perform that service are imperious."

Captain Hale was captured by the British, convicted as a spy and went to the gallows on September 22, 1776.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

U.S.Cavalryman

My take on the Moral of the Story is if you are capable, do it, otherwise someone who is maybe less capable will have to pull the slack for you, or it may not happen at all. 
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

B9

Quote from: U.S.Cavalryman on October 29, 2008, 10:23:47 AM
My take on the Moral of the Story is if you are capable, do it, otherwise someone who is maybe less capable will have to pull the slack for you, or it may not happen at all. 

Right on the money.

Dedication was not enough. Captain Hale had no training experience, no contacts in New York, no channels of communication, and no cover story to explain his absence from camp--only his Yale diploma supported his contention that he was a "Dutch schoolmaster."
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

MeanStreaker

Quote from: U.S.Cavalryman on October 29, 2008, 10:23:47 AM
... if you are capable, do it, otherwise someone who is maybe less capable will have to pull the slack for you, or it may not happen at all. 

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Edmund Burke:

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)