News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sons of Liberty on the "History" Channel

Started by Fixer, October 10, 2014, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fixer

It might be nice for the purposes of sparking interest, but there is a huge amount of bad history in here that we'll be refuting. 

See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXHQRPAmEtE

However, if we ever were considering a television promo, that would be the time!

Lonestar6

Thanks for sharing.

I caught that Paul Revere was a thug and the British are coming! Very disappointing of the History Channel.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

FiremanBob

That looks awful. It looks like an American spinoff of Game of Thrones. But I bet it plays into someone's narrative about the illegitimacy of the Founders' motives.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

greyfox

Here's a press release regarding same.

Adams, Hancock, Revere...Their Rebellious Story of America's Fight for Freedom Told in...
SONS OF LIBERTY
New Three-Night Scripted Miniseries Premieres
Sunday, January 25 at 9 p.m. ET on HISTORY®

New York, NY - November 4, 2014 - HISTORY® premieres its newest scripted miniseries, SONS OF LIBERTY on January 25, 26 and 27 at 9 p.m. The three-night, six-hour event follows a defiant and radical group of young men - Sam Adams, John Adams, Paul Revere, John Hancock and Dr. Joseph Warren - as they band together in secrecy to change the course of history and make America a nation.

The Sons of Liberty sparked a revolution, the cast depicting them includes: Ben Barnes (The Chronicles of Narnia) as Sam Adams, a natural born leader with charisma and a penchant for mischief; Ryan Eggold (The Black List) as Dr. Joseph Warren, a doctor and man of conscience and integrity; Michael Raymond-James (Jack Reacher, Terriers, True Blood) as Paul Revere, a veteran who wholeheartedly joins forces with Sam Adams; Rafe Spall (Prometheus, Life of Pi) as John Hancock, the wealthiest man in Boston at the time; and Henry Thomas (E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Gangs of New York, Legends of the Fall) as John Adams, a lawyer and the conservative, smart cousin of Sam Adams. Additionally, Marton Csokas (Equalizer, The Lord of the Rings, Rogue) plays the ferocious General Thomas Gage who is sent to handle the colonial unrest in Boston; Emily Berrington (24: Live Another Day) as Margaret Gage; Jason O'Mara (The Good Wife, Terra Nova, Life on Mars) as General George Washington and Dean Norris (Breaking Bad, Under the Dome, Men, Women & Children) as the brilliant yet mischievous diplomat Benjamin Franklin.

Calling themselves the Sons of Liberty, they light the spark that ignited our revolution. While many of their names have become legendary, this group of young rebels didn't start off as noble patriots. They were a new generation of young American men from varied backgrounds, struggling to find purpose in their lives. They were looking for equality, but they found something greater: Independence.

SONS OF LIBERTY is produced by A+E Studios in association with Stephen David Entertainment for HISTORY. Kari Skogland (Boardwalk Empire, Vikings, Fifty Dead Men Walking) is set to helm. Title theme by Academy Award® winner Hans Zimmer. Written by Stephen David and David C. White.  Russ McCarroll and Elaine Frontain Bryant are executive producers for HISTORY. Stephen David and Matthew Gross also serve as executive producers. A+E Networks holds worldwide distribution rights to Sons of Liberty and will distribute it under the A+E Studios International banner.

Boston

"The British are coming!"  I don't know if I should be laughing out loud or crying inside. I guess I should not expect much from a "thug". Sigh

greyfox

We will just have to see if the marketing hype is the same as the show. We should also be thinking about how that will play out, if at all, as a threat or an opportunity in our efforts. Let's watch the show and talk about it.   

Loren   

K98Al

Sounds like the "History" Channel is telling the story with the same level of accuracy it demands of shows about the Third Reich.
TV's about making money, not telling the truth.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

SKSRifleman

Just another reason why I pulled the plug and threw the brainwashing machine out of my house years ago. Saved me a lot of money and brain cells.
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

GoldFish

Holy crap, the History Channel managed to screw up another crucial, probably the most crucial, event in world History.  They should probably changed their network name...
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Tennessee Beast

I bought this DVD set and enjoyed watching it.  It has a lot of historical inaccuracies, but it was entertaining.  It was actually kind of fun playing "what is wrong with this scene."  If for no other reason, it should be watched so that one knows what bad information is being spread.  You may be able to find it a the library (to save some $).
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

The Wolfhound

That show was an atrocity.  Revere armed and fighting the patrols?!?!?!?  Joseph Warren Cuckolding Gage??!?!?!  And who could forget the decisive battle of Barrett's Farm?  Bridge? What Bridge?

CarrollMS

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on January 16, 2019, 05:49:27 PM
I bought this DVD set and enjoyed watching it.  It has a lot of historical inaccuracies, but it was entertaining.  It was actually kind of fun playing "what is wrong with this scene."  If for no other reason, it should be watched so that one knows what bad information is being spread.  You may be able to find it a the library (to save some $).

I bought the steaming video from Amazon recently (hoping to assist in my presentations at AS) I agree, entertaining. I wondered why in the world they could not get the key details straight, and make it just as entertaining with the likes of Mrs. Gage, et. al., thrown in for Hollywood's sake.  I wonder who their technical  consultant was, if any.

"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200