News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, Tn - Two Day Appleseed - August 30-31, 2014

Started by SureShotSpartan, September 02, 2014, 11:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureShotSpartan

Well, another event is in the books!  I'd like to start by thanking our gracious host, Highland Rim Shooters Club at Arnold Force Base, for their ongoing support of Project Appleseed!!  The facilities at this range are top-notch and provide a very enjoyable experience for Instructors and students alike!  Speaking of students, a special thanks to our students; Jake, Ryan, Riley, Patrick, Ellie, Annie, Tom and Josh!!!  YOU are the reason we do what we do!!!

Once everyone had met our wonderful Applecore volunteer, Tejaslady, at the registration desk we began with a welcome speech and safety brief.  Booney Stomper gave a stirring rendition of the First Strike, priming everyone for the first Red Coat of the event and we were underway!  Returning Rifleman Josh cleared the target (as expected I must add!) but the rest of our students didn't fair as well.  Thankfully, the Red Coats weren't really marching towards us!!  :slap:

Using dond's COF, we set to the task of teaching the FUNDAMENTALS of rifle marksmanship.  We began with equal parts quality instruction, well designed drills, and TEACHABLE attitudes and the FUN ensued!!  Without firing a round, we began to see the "light come on" inside our students......MAN, I LOVE MY JOB!!

We were able to shoot a few squares before we broke for lunch during which we were treated to a little more of the story as bluegrasscolonel told the Second Strike. Seeing many heads "nod" with understanding, we were primed for GREAT progress when we returned to the line.

Throughout all of the blocks of instruction, everyone continued to absorb massive amounts of "water" from the ol' fire hose! During a much deserved afternoon break, TNEagle accurately recounted the events from Lexington back to Boston with the Third Strike of the Match! 

As I suspected throughout the day, the Red Coat at the end of day one revealed GREATLY IMPROVED marksmanship!!!  O0 

We began Sunday with a review......a lot of review!!  We had an engaging discussion about the previous day's lessons.  "Cafe Style" review is the way to go!!

Once a few squares had been perforated, we posted the AQT and began to find those among us who know very well what they're about! Three Riflemen led the way "down the hill"; Patrick (215), Tom (221) and Josh (re-qual 233, 235 and 248!!  :cool2:)

The final Red Coat of the event confirmed what I had seen throughout the weekend.....EVERYONE IMPROVED TREMENDOUSLY!!!  Stay focused on the fundamentals, dry fire - dry fire - dry fire, and PERSIST as a Rifleman does and you'll continue to progress!  :---

Thanks again to all that came!!! Each of you made this GREAT event a total success!!!  Don't forget to spread the word!!!

-SureShotSpartan

P.S. Photos to follow.  Feel free to post your comments and photos below!

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

TNEagle

We had a talented young artist, Annie, with us on the line.

Throughout the day Saturday, she was being creative with the spent brass and here is the result:

She also created another message for us on Sunday:

And later:

Thank you Annie for your creativity and attitude during the weekend!
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

BluegrassColonel

What a great Saturday!  I enjoyed getting to meet all of the shooters and see many members of my growing family of instructors.  What a privilege to assist in spreading the honor of our heritage with such wonderful and encouraging people!

As usual, SureShotSpartan did a great job of leading by example & encouragement.

Although I was primarily concerned about presenting the Second Strike accurately for the first time, I don't take for granted the presentations of the 4 Safety Rules, or the Six Steps of Firing the Shot.  A subpar presentation of the first can be catastrophic; the second can negatively influence the overall experience for a shooter.  TNJay did a great job of encouraging me through a "dry run" of the Second Strike and gave me confidence to present it with some authority to the shooters.

The improvement in the marksmanship from first Red Coat to the final Red Coat of the day was exciting.  I remember my improvement over the first day of my first Project Appleseed (was that only last October? Wow!) and I feel empathy as the shooters realize how much they have learned and achieved.
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

Hardbean

This was the first Appleseed for my father but I was a returning Rifleman.  We had both bought new rifles a few months before the shoot.  A few weeks prior, we had met up at a rifle range to sight in our new equipment.  We were making good groups from a bench with clear skies.  Our shots were grouping tightly and the rifles were performing flawlessly.  We were feeling confident that we were going to be completely prepared for the Appleseed weekend.

We were mostly wrong, however.  Using a sling for support was totally new to my dad.  I was familiar with the technique from a previous Appleseed.  I could sense his frustrations as I had gone through the same troubles at my first clinic.  Adding to the difficulties was the lack of total comfort with our rifles.  We both fumbled around with our magazine changes, loosing our NPOA every time.  Furthermore, we had set up our scopes' eye relief for a bench rest shooting, not for prone position with a sling.  I had forgotten to show him the "turkey necking" to locate his cheek weld placement.  Because of this, we had to fiddle with his scope attachment and he had to re-zero his rifle during day one of the Appleseed.

I was making good progress with my equipment and the talking targets were showing it.  I was confident that a great score was just around the corner.  All was well until the ball and dummy drill (thanks Benjamin!) revealed my NPOA was in another zip code!  My confidence was damaged because I knew I was having to muscle the rifle to my point of aim.  Then it began to rain.  The targets were soaked and my spirits began to feel the same.

But, as always, the inspiring words of the struggles of our founding colonials made the rain and equipment struggles seem nil.  We heard of "Dangerous Old Men" who gave up everything to defend their freedom.  We heard of a brave little lady who was able to capture grenadiers!  We heard of brave young boys who had the courage of men to help lead the battles.  With a renewed determination, we returned to the line for Sunday afternoon's final AQT's.  This was our time, there were no more opportunities.  "Do or die," in a sense.  Our leader, SureShotSpartan wisely advised us to "get into our bubble."  After a weekend of fire-hydrant instruction, we placed our shots.  Dad finished up with a 221 which earned him a Rifleman's patch!!  I bested my previous score of 235 up to a 248!!  It was a Harbin sweep!

Growing up, my father constantly told me to always "Finish Strong!"  This has been great advice constantly reminding me to never give up.  The final hour may be your shining moment.  This was true of so many of those who came before us.  Determination and perseverance will always prevail.  This was a wonderful weekend for shooting, history, and time spent with family.  This is what Appleseed is about.  You may not attend with a blood relative, but you will meet many others who share a common thread of liberty.  I've met some of the best people at these Appleseeds.  And I can't wait to meet more.  In the near future, there will be orange hats in the Harbin family so we can help spread the message of this organization further.

SureShotSpartan

Thanks for sharing, HB!!!  I keep a couple hats on hand at all times......just sayin'
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19