News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beneath Old Roof Trees

Started by V, October 21, 2008, 06:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

link

I haven't heard of this one before.... its a great read though I found the formatting on this site distracting. Can't find new or used versions? I'm going to try and get permission to download and clean this up into a pdf or something unless anyone else has a better source...

metalbot

Interesting read, but agreed that the formatting is hideous.  The book is clearly public domain (being 112 years old), so I think it's a safe bet that you can PDF it if you so desire.

Davilla 1108

V

Well, its still a rough work in progress but I have a large pdf here and a slightly better that the original link set of web pages here.

Enjoy!

Wheeler44

As winter closes in and time for reading increases I'll be reading this again and again.

If the balance of the tome is as well written as the first 35 pages it'll be a good read.

Thanks "V"

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

voortrekker

This book looks very interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on it V.

I found a website that has a few original copies for a reasonable price.  I just ordered one.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Beneath+Old+Roof+Trees&x=69&y=13

Good luck and good reading!   :)

brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Cal 7.62

Just glancing thru the 1st link, I came across this-

General Gage knew that despite all his vigilance the patriots were gathering military stores, and their repositories were the objects of his jealous eye. A rumor was abroad that he had determined to destroy them; this led the Committee of Safety to establish a guard, and to arrange for teams to remove the stores to places of greater safety, in case of alarm. To make the arrangements more perfect and effective, couriers were engaged in Charlestown, Cambridge, and Roxbury to alarm the people. What better plans could have been made for each town to have some part in the decisive action, let it come in the full light of day, or under cover of the darkest shadow of night?

Smart men they were!!!!
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

SavageShootr

Thanks V.

I was reading through some of this. It looks good thus far.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

V

Quote from: voortrekker on October 29, 2008, 02:41:27 PM
I found a website that has a few original copies for a reasonable price.  I just ordered one.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Beneath+Old+Roof+Trees&x=69&y=13
Thanks for the site, got my copy from the above today so hopefully I can use it to sort out some of the formatting which wasn't clear from the original site.

My copy is an 1896 first edition bought by the "Belfast Free Library" in June 1897 using "the Wilson Fund". There is something about turning the pages of such a book which no pdf will ever match...

Wheeler44

QuoteMy copy is an 1896 first edition bought by the "Belfast Free Library" in June 1897 using "the Wilson Fund". There is something about turning the pages of such a book which no pdf will ever match...
I just love handling old books and old guns.
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

V

Talked about this book at Kaysville UT this weekend

Check this out, here's another first edition available for $35 even though its annotated "VERY RARE"

V

Am I reading the top line correctly, that this board is not availble to anyone but WL3?

Sheesh, no wonder we can't get people interested in the history.