News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IBC LaGrange, KY AAR, October 17,18,19, 2008

Started by Old Glory!, October 19, 2008, 11:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

WOW!  Big thanks for Funfaler for hosting this IBC, and all the IIT's.  I'll leave the report up to the rest of you fellas, and will post some picture from today; shooting at known distance. :o :o :o
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

funfaler

5 Fresh grads of the IBC system, in the Midwest, ready to preserve the Heritage and honor the Founders.

A very good lot, dedicated and understanding of the mission that is before us, the importance and "goodness of the Cause".

ALL of these folks had stepped up in various fashions for the Appleseed cause and wanted to contribute to the cornerstone of the program, that being our Instructor Corp. 

All did very well, receiving the beatings that were dished out, and seeking more  :o ;D

All passed the critical test of their commitment, by eating of the "funfaler chili" which has proven to have lasting effects on fellow Appleseeds, lending proof to the notion that what does not kill you, will make you stronger.

IN, OH, WI were represented

techres
usaf7ret
slim
MeanStreaker
Old Glory!  (who is much younger than she types  ;))

These folks have demonstrated their dedication to the program, long before this weekend, their "Appleseed stories" and how they came to want to directly get involved, was compelling and motivating.   Just not enough campfire time at these events  :'(

Appleseed, Midwest/Great lakes region just gained 5 very quality people who will be foundational to this areas effort to weave Appleseed in to the fabric of society, making honoring the Founders a way of life for many generations to come.

Special thanks to colycat for coming in and helping with the course, who's fast experience and passion is greatly appreciated!

Rumors of weekly IBCs as casa de funfaler are false, however, having to number the LaGrange IBCs will need to be considered  ;)  Working with dedicated Riflemen is just too good for one's soul.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Old Glory!

A big thanks to all the Master Instructors, Shoot Bosses, Instructors, IIT's, shooters, and all of you who work behind the scenes of the Appleseed Project.  You might not always get to immediately see the results of your dedication to Appleseed, but this Project is working!  You are forging Riflemen who are able to shoot a 20 inch target at 500 yards.  Those six steps to firing the shot REALLY WORK!  You help people realize spectacular achievements in shooting, and MORE. 

And a personal thanks to Colycat, The Guy, Sheepdog, Dond, Garand, JPap, Iowa Mark, Savage Shooter, Johnny Appleseed, VMT, Azel, Posterity, Big Pappa, Scout 34, Taz, Funfaler, Slim, Techres, USAF7, Meanstreaker, and Fred.  This weekend IBC was MONUMENTAL for me, and YOU are all responsible!!! 

Chili, Riflemen?

ooooh geeez
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Old Glory!

slim

What a great weekend!

Appleseeders, if you've never had the joy of visiting "casa de funfaler" you're really missing out! I'm nominating it to be the model for all DAR bunkhouses in the future. Once the funding is there, this is the way we should go! I also think we should have a WI member at each event as well to provide the best cheese I've had in a long time. So many good people from around the country all bringing the best of what they have to share with like-minded folks at AS events. It doesn't get any better than that!

All joking aside, La Grange is a great place to get your IBC training. We put in a FULL day (into the wee hours) on Saturday (I was the slacker and showed up on Saturday morning, everyone else was there on Friday night) and then topped it off with actual range time shooting known distances on Sunday. (Great pics, OG!)

Folks, this Appleseed stuff really works. We hit the range and at 300, 400, and all the way out to 500 yards, we were consistently NAILING the targets. Old Glory! even shot one of the steel plates so consistently it gave up and fell down to the ground, begging for "no mas." Every shooter consistently banged the targets and working as a team with another instructor, or in groups of threes - it really drove home the effectiveness of Riflemen working together.

After it was all said and done, we moved back to the "easy and so close range of only 300 yards" and ended the day with what sounded like a bell choir ringing in the new Instructors....."Ping, DING, PONG, ding, dong"

If you've shot Rifleman or close to it and are looking to take that next step, for it all to come together, for everything to make sense in the grand scheme of Appleseed things, you need to get to an IBC. La Grange is a good one to get to if you can. Plus, the IBC is "where the magic happens" because not only will you improve yourself both as an instructor and a shooter, but you'll meet some of your "local" instructors and those who will be hitting the trail with you in the near future.

After an IBC, you truly are on that next level!

Congrats to my fellow attendees and thanks for not only helping me out this weekend, but taking your commitment to the next level. Thanks also to our host (plese relay to the Mrs. as well!) and instructors. I hope to see all of you on the trail again sometime soon.

MeanStreaker

Here it is Monday morning, and I'm bone tired...  But it's a good tired.  It's the kind of tired you feel after you've finished something worthwhile.  The kind of tired you feel after toiling over something challenging, successfully completing it, and cracking open a cold one at the end of the day to admire your handiwork, all the while thinking to yourself, "I can't wait to fire this baby up and show my friends."  I know for a fact that most get that satisfied tired feeling after attending an Appleseed as a student.  Well, I'm here to tell you that experience doesn't even compare to an Instructor Boot Camp. 

I arrived Friday afternoon and we went immediately to tackle some AQT's.  We fought the Kentucky twilight until you were guessing where the Stage 4 targets were located on the cardboard.  Friday night had us beginning our studies and discussion went on until we dragged ourselves to bed around 3:30 AM.  On Saturday, we were up early and spent the whole day learning, reviewing, and teaching each other the Safety Rules, the Six Steps to Firing a Shot, Sling Usage, Firing Positions, Inches/Minutes/Clicks, Calling the Line, distance shooting, and everything else that it takes to earn that honored Red Hat.  Again, we continued discussion well into the night.  Having a bunch of Riflemen together in the same room is such a rare opportunity in this day and age that you want to take advantage of every second.  Who needs sleep?!

On Sunday morning we were up (rubbing bloodshot eyes) preparing to put our distance shooting skills to the test.  Does all this talk and one inch square stuff Appleseeders faithfully study actually work?  Most of us were about to find out for the first time as we looked off into the distance at 20 inch steel targets.

"Shooters, adjust your sights for five hundred yards!"

"With ten rounds: LOAD!"

"FIRE!"

BANG -- ping .... BANG --ping....BANG -- ping....

It was a beautiful thing.

It was beautiful because we now knew we could do it.  More importantly, thanks to the hard work of funfaler, ColyCat, and everyone else making Appleseed a reality, we were confident that we could teach others to do it.  That's what really matters.

So, have you been to an Appleseed shoot yet?  No?  Make a commitment right now to go and see what you don't know about marksmanship and our unique American heritage. 

Are you on the path to becoming an Instructor?  No?  Make a commitment right now to go and see what else you don't know.  I can't wait to learn even more from all the great folks in La Grange this weekend.  It was a true pleasure and I hope I'll be seeing all of you soon!

Funfaler was saying that instructors are the lifeblood of Appleseed.  Without them, our last best shot at saving the country will wither and die on the vine.  It's important that you keep using your individual bucket to bail out our sinking ship, but it would sure lighten your load and increase your chance of success if you start grabbing people that are fretting about the tilting deck, hand them a bucket, and show them how to use it.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

colycat

Finially home, still wishing I was in Kentucky.  Can,t agree more with Slim, that Casa de Funfaler,s home is the model for all IBC,s  Funfaler made us very comfortable right off the bat by saying,  "if you see it and can reach it, you can drink or eat it".  We took advantage of this axiom all weekend. It was great. ;D

I was asked to help instruct these IIT,s, but after Saturday,  I realized I was learning as much as the IIT Riflemen.  Thanks Funfaler,  for running the show and teaching me so much! :D :D

Sunday was a thing of beauty,  OG said on the ride to Posterity's farm,(full distance) "I,m really nervous about shooting centerfire".  I don,t think anyone else saw her well up with emotion, when she hammered the 300 yrd stage, with a M1A.  "I can,t believe I just did that"  Thanks to FF for doing B and D with her at the 25M sight in.

Slim, go get em, you are ready! (Gotta love  anyone who sleeps with his rifle) Techres, your input this weekend was insightful and productive. Usaf7ret, tell your better half that you are ready to hit the line and instruct!!!  You remind me of Dond, who someone once wrote, "sounded like an angelic voice guiding me to Rifleman status".  Meanstreaker,  DO YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT YOUR ABILITIES NOW!!!  Ringing those 20" steel plates at 400 yrds, impressive!! ;D

Thanks to all you guys, and especially FF for his hospitality and instruction.  SEE you on the trail.

All of you guys are ready to hit the trail hard and make this a Nation of Riflemen, once more!

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

DaveD

I can't add a thing to all that has been said, except WHAT A WEEKEND!!  And that is an understatement.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Old Glory!

No slacking allowed at an IBC. :o   Instruction begins upon arrival, and continues even during infrequent break times.  This is accomplished by serving excellent food at well spaced intervals. ;D   A few hours of sleep are allowed, and the accommodations at this IBC were excellent also.  Ditto Slim on the model DAR bunkhouse nomination.  8)   

Interactive instruction continues all day two; indoor, classroom.  Attendees receive accurate, simple, and precise instruction on the materials presented, safety rules, 6 steps, IMC, etc.   All attendees take turns re-presenting the instruction, and are corrected, critiqued and encouraged by the Master Instructor, and the IIT Riflemen.  Again, no slacking allowed.  This portion of the IBC challenged me beyond my comfort zone.  Like Funfaler said, what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.  In my opinion, this is a large part of what makes this weekend exceptional.  Ordinarily, I choose to take the easy, smooth road; the one without the ruts, bumps and challenges; go along to get along.  But is that how a RIFLEMAN lives?  No!  A Rifleman is courageous, precise, adapts, and perseveres.  We actually have to BE THE RIFLEMAN; BE THE INSTRUCTOR.  This is not an easy task.  Certainly not as easy as some of the Appleseed Instructors make it appear.   8)   

Thank you ALL for staying on mission.  This is one focused group of courteous individuals.  Do you know how rare that is?!  In my opinion this is another part of the phenomenon of excellence that occurs at AS events; shoots and now also IBC's.  Again, I have to say that Appleseeders are the finest, and some of the funniest, people I have ever spent time with; people of honor and courage, mixed with humor and joy.

Day Three; now, about known distance shooting.........I am ALMOST speechless and certainly AWESTRUCK.  How does a person who reluctantly attended an Appleseed in July, 2008 using a 10/22 rifle, end up picking up an M1A for the first time ever three months later, and on the same day, hit a 20 inch target at 500 yards out, multiple times?!  I'm just an ordinary wife/mom/grandma whose been to a couple of Appleseeds.  This APPLESEED PROJECT REALLY WORKS!   Techres, Meanstreak, Slim and USAF7 consistently hit those same targets all afternoon.   I had the opportunity to spot USAF7 and Slim, and sitting directly behind them, got to witness the bullet move the sound waves on its way to hitting the target; again, and again, and again.....

And if that is not enough, this mysterious thing about being a Rifleman seems to find its way into different aspects of a person's life.  There are times when questions pop into my mind like, "what would a Rifleman do in this situation?"  Sweat through it, persevere.  Keep on going.  DO THIS.  Don't do this or that, it's a waste of time.  There are more important things I could be doing.  And on, and on......... ooops, I rant. 

Some call it The Appleseed Project; in my opinion, it could be called The Appleseed Phenomenon.  Riflemen, take the next step; it is SO WORTH IT.   Let's try to help lots more fine Americans experience it!  ;) :o ;D 8)

techres

It is 36 hours later and I am just now feeling caught up enough on sleep to post!  The FunFaler IBC is an experience not to miss.  And although mine will be this one, I am certain each one will be as unique and critical as this one was.

I drove down on friday after kissing my kids and wife goodbye.  Originally, I had waived off from going due to a gimpy ankle and a  schedule that has been so tight with gun community activities that I have not given as much time to my family as I would like.  But at the urging of my state coordinator, my wife and I agreed that I should go. 

So Friday night I find myself at Funfaler's door ringing the bell.  As if on call a convoy of vehicles led by colycat pulls up the drive.  It was the other IBC'ers back from the .22 range where they were hammering on the anvil of the AQT.

New faces, old faces, and faces I had not seen since the early days of Carrolton all piled out and once we had all shaken hands and converted screen names into real names we were a troop.  Two of our members had not yet arrived, but we moved on and partook of Funfaler's hospitality and his amazing cooking (his chilli will put "the fire in your belly" in more ways than one).

Once we could wait not longer, we did preliminary IBC work until a bit after midnight.  Then came the chatting and the stories.  For those who have been camping at an Appleseed, you know that the stories that one hears at an Appleseed are worth the cost of admission alone.  How much more so for the IBC!  Standing in Funfaler's basement around you are the dedicated core, the Riflemen and Riflewomen who make the program what it is.  Moreso, these are the ones who are ready to sacrifice to change this country.  Their stories to this moment are a thing to listen to.  Especially, because you know the stories that they are going to create in the next few years will only dwarf them.

Off to bed in the Casa's amazing beds.  While there is something very appealing to this once boyscout about camping, there is also something to be said about the Casa's offerings.  I closed my eyes and woke up an instant later and it was morning and time to get to training.

After a meal catered by Funfaler himself, we started training and did not stop for 14 hours by my clock.  The preliminary work was done when I threw out all of my outdated training materials and began learning from the current ones.  While that was a touch frustrating, we Riflemen are supposed to  be able to adapt quickly so I took it as part of the training.

The next 14 hours was spent not only hammering out the right way to train at an Appleseed, but more importantly why we train that way.  Word choices that matter, when we are to be exact due to the primacy of learning, when we are to be personal, how to train difficult concepts and even more difficult  math in a public setting, the jobs of each gear in the machine, and what to expect that will trip you up were all covered.  Each bit was backed by the our intrepid red hats who gave example after example from their own experience.  And we orange hats laughed at all the minor mistakes and pitfalls we had already experienced on the OJT Appleseed trail.

Training day ended with a new bit of training, that was the math and physics of actual distance shooting.  The next day would bring actual shooting at 500 yards and we needed to be prepped for using our 25 yard skills at 500 yards.

And again, post training, came the stories.  This time we talked about what brought us to the program and more.  This was the most personal part of the program and took on an aspect of witnessing.  Funfaler also spoke and I can only say that there are experiences that you will have, bonds you will make, and things you will learn, only if you go to an IBC.  And if that is not enough to get you to one, then you are likely lost.  Then again, the next day brought iron sight shooting at 500 yards and if that is not a draw, they you are likely dead.

After another night of close my eyes, open them, and get back up in a seeming instant, we ate on the road.  Flying down the highway with an arsenal in the trunk and some steel to shoot we got time to laugh and chat.  Arriving at the shooting range and setup at 25 yards with sighter squares.

Now, I brought two rifles with me: my tackdriver AR and my carbine AR with the short sight length and 16" M4 barrel.  I really wanted to prove to myself that the carbine could do 500 yards.  And at first I was having trouble sighting in properly.  My frustration grew, as did the temptation to use the tackdriver as a crutch.  On the third sighter square my frustration became verbal in a response to Funfaler who gladly did not put up with my guff and reminded me of the correct way of thinking and that special persevering which is the mark of a true Rifleman.  A fourth square got me where I needed to be and we were off to the 300 yard steel.

Pairing off into teams of shooter/sighter we started to ping the steel.  After an initial round in the dirt, I was able to get with the others in making the steel ping (kinda like ringing a liberty bell at 2600 FPS!) far more consistently than I expected.  We switched off and I got to watch colycat bang the steel with his first .308 round in the neck of the target, the second was dead center.  Watching contrails arc up, down, and then make a big grey splash into the white steel and then wait a fraction of a second for the sound to get back to you is a riot. 

But Funfaler wanted to show us that 300 is just to verify battle zero, it is not for Riflemen and Riflewomen.  So we moved back to 400.  Now those 20" steel squares looked amazingly similar to the sighter squares we always use at Appleseed.  Back to work, we were on those targets each of us.  Bang, Steel Moves, wait, ping!  Funfaler even called a shift to colycat to force him into an unexpected NPOA shift.  Taking turns we were all lighting up the steel and every aspect of what we have learned and what we teach came into clarity.  These mechanics work.  These skills are not plinking with .22's at point blank range, these skills are battle sight zeroing and marksmanship at ranges longer than many soldiers will ever experience or master.  Thinking about it later, the AQT is alot like running with weights during training.  If you can run fast with them, imagine how fast you will be in the real race!

But 400 yards was not enough.  We needed to do 500.  I gulped.  500 yards, 16" barrel, .223 round, short sight radius, iron sights, oh boy.  The target was a small splotch on my huge front post.  Even then I had a moment of doubt.  But, again, with a slight sight picture adjustment I was on with round 2 and on my way.  I will not claim every round hit steel, but vast majority did.  Frankly, hearing the .223 pings is hard when the .308 monsters are doing their work at banging the targets.  At 500 yards, it was clear which is the master caliber.  Meanstreaker, colycat, and oldglory's rounds hammered in making the big splashes while USA, Slim and I made our steel wiggle and dance as well.

After a mad minute with us all firing on the same target, we realized that all good things come to an end.  As a closing moment of training, Funfaler took us back to 300 yards for us to look at our targets again.  This time they looked huge!  And each of us had the experience and knowledge to be certain that our training had purpose on so many levels.

And that was the end.  Some of us left directly home, some of us went back to Funfaler's for more food, and I headed out from Funfalers house.  I was tired and yet exhilerated.  We had, again, "drunk from the firehose", and again put our skills to the test.  And again, we relearned all that which makes the Rifleman, especially those qualities that go beyond the mechanics of shooting.

Some IBC's may be more equal than others, I have no way to know.  But this was my IBC.  It contained all the training I wish I had before I found myself wearing a orange hat at my first shoot as an IIT.  It created a moment for unique Riflemen and Riflewomen to come together and redidicate themselves to Fred's cause.  It also gave us a day to prove to ourselves that these skills that we teach are no game - they are real in every way.

Thanks go out to Funfaler, and especially to his family who let us invade their space and take him away from them for a weekend.  Thanks also to the state coordinators who pushed us to go.  And thanks to the other attendees for making the weekend fun and productive.

Suggestions for those attending an IBC:

1. GO!!!
2. PM the IBC Instructor and get the current list of training materials and current nomenclature.  Better to practice and be right than have to unlearn old language.
3. GO!!!
4. Take a friday off and get 100% of your time in at the IBC.  I missed the LTR & AQT fun on Friday and could have used the practice.  Slim missed the training on Friday night and had to play catch-up the next day. 
5. Be ready to learn as well as work through your frustrations.  NO matter how good you think you are, something will trip you up and you will not be allowed a pass on it.  Riflemen persevere.
6. Bring your clipboards, rulers, pens, everything you need at the actual shoot.  You will need it at the IBC.
7. Bring your stomach.  Funfaler's food will light you up!  (in more ways than one...  :o )
8. Be ready for an amazing weekend.  Your Appleseeds before the Rifleman Patch and Orange hat were plateau one  - the IBC is plateau two and climbing this plateau is just as much of a working experience.
9. DID I MENTION THAT YOU NEED TO GO!!!

Thanks again all,
techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

MeanStreaker

Hearing everyone else share is making me sentimental and inspired at the same time.

Whaddaya say gang?  Road trip to funfaler's place this weekend?  I'm sure he'll love the surprise! :)
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

funfaler

The surprise would be on you, no funfaler, no chili, just a steamin mama with a gun and a sour attitude  :o ;D

But you all can come to Sacramento with me this weekend  ;)

I hope to be able to meet up with some Appleseeders out there.....California without Appleseeders is like......well, let's just say that I hope to meet some Appleseeders  ;D

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Old Glory!

Don't forget to mention "APPLESEED" in Sacramento - like I have to tell YOU that.  ;D 

On our way home from Casa de Funfaler IBC we had to stop in Illinois and pay our respects at my cousin's funeral.  God Bless his Soul!  We arrived after the service, and just after the luncheon.  Everyone was very relaxed and standing around talking.  Before we went in I said to Colycat, "just say 'APPLESEED' when people ask what you were doing in Kentucky".  Then let them ask "what's Appleseed?".  Get the whole primacy of learning thing going.  Turns out this all worked well because Colycat was wearing his shooting jacket at the time.    ;D  That really gets the conversation going.  Hey, what's that?  A shooting jacket?  Colycat says, "we just came from an Appleseed weekend and I didn't have another jacket along."  The young gentleman we were talking with picks up the lapels on his "sport-coat" and says, "it's much better than THIS THING I'm wearing; what's Appleseed?"    In a couple of sentences Colycat summed up Appleseed, and come to find out this young gentleman was a sharp shooter in the army, lives in Chicago, and will be checking out RWVA.com.  He took his wife to the range last week.   8) 

Corrections?  Questions?  Answers?  Critique?

Riflemen, what do you tell people when they ask what you did last weekend? 

modified:  This question is being answered at:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4211.msg40636;topicseen#msg40636

techres

Quote from: Old Glory! on October 23, 2008, 12:26:21 AM
Riflemen, what do you tell people when they ask what you did last weekend? 

I told them I was shooting torso sized targets at 500 yards with iron sights after a day of intensive instruction in marksmanship and American history. 

The ones who have no idea what that means, I explain Appleseed to them in detail and invite them along for a unique experience. 

The ones who know exactly what that means but do not believe it is possible - I invite them along to become believers.

And that is what I have been doing for the last two days.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.