News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Daniel Morgan

Started by Professor, October 14, 2008, 07:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor

Has anyone read a good book about General Daniel Morgan that they can recommend?  Most of the books that I have read about the Revolution only discuss him briefly for his victory at Cowpens.  Based on what I have read about him he seems to have understood the Militia and their proper use better than all of the other generals.  When I was at a flea market last year I bought a lithograph of an older man dressed in buckskins shooting a flintlock.  There are three continental soldiers and a member of the milita behind him.  In the background there are log buildings with an American flag flying above them with groups of continentals drilling.  The print is labelled " Miscellaneous Organizations, Continental Army 1776-1779.  The print was done by H. A. Ogden. It was reprinted courtesy of the U.S. Army Quartermaster, print 3105. I think this is General Morgan does anyone know for sure? Thanks

Matt

I've had my eye on Don Higginbotham's Daniel Morgan: Revolutionary Rifleman (ISBN-13: 978-0807813867). Seems to get good reviews at Amazon, and one of my roomates from bachelorhood used it for the history class he taught at a local high school.

If you're looking for something with sources, try The life of General Daniel Morgan, of the Virginia line of the army of the United States, with portions of his correspondence; comp. from authentic sources by James Graham (ISBN-13: 978-1418111670). A bit dated (apparently first published in 1899), but it is always good if you can quote from authentic sources at an Appleseed.

At 88 pages Daniel Morgan: Fighting Frontiersman by Jim Gallagher (ISBN-13: 978-1595560155) seems like it would make a good read for kids.

A disclaimer - I haven't read any of these, so I can't personally vouch for their quality. They're just the first ones that came up from a "Daniel Morgan" search at Amazon.

As for your print, the New York Public Library has a picture that matches your description here with more detail.
Liberty is my father, and he shall be my son.

Colorado Pete

If you haven't read the historical fiction of Kenneth Roberts, you're missing out on a wonderful experience. Roberts is, simply, a magnificent storyteller. In "Arundel" he covers Benedict Arnold's agonizing march to Canada to assault Quebec, and in "Rabble in Arms" he covers the equally agonizing retreat from Canada, the battle of Valcour Island on Lake Champlain, and the final battle of Saratoga (did you know that Arnold was the Patton of the Continental Army before he turned coat?). Roberts offers interesting treatment of Morgan in both books. And just for continuing appreciation of agony, read his "Northwest Passage" about Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers on the incredible St. Francis expedition in the French and Indian war.

This is where, as a high school kid back in the age of dinosaurs ('73-'74), I got my first taste of those who gave us this country. It was a powerful experience that shaped my thinking to this day. If you have not read Roberts believe me you owe it to yourself to start!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

ACP230

I second the post on Kenneth Roberts works.

I also started reading them in high school, and recently re-read a couple of them.     

snake284

I'm not 100% sure, but I do know Daniel Boone's mother was a Morgan and I believe that Daniel Morgan and Daniel Boone were related. My sister has traced our ancestry back to them. She even went to Wales I believe at Cardiff or close to there and visited the Old Morgan home. I'll have to check with her and do some searches, but I believe that is right.
Ignorance and Arrogance just Don't Mix!