News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

"Doctor" Abel Prescott, Jr.

Started by JustJax, June 11, 2014, 10:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJax

In my research for the book, I'm trying to nail down whether Samuel's brother Abel was, in fact, a doctor.  The only source I find for this is Paul Revere's Ride.  He is mentioned as a doctor on page 287.  The other place I've seen it is on the AS playing cards, no doubt taken from Fischer.  Does anyout out there have another source for this?

I guess it's not absolutely critical to mention either way but it would be nice to have this clear in my head.

Obvioulsy, Samuel's father, Abel was a doctor and Samuel studied and apprenticed with him.  So, apparently was oldest brother Benjamin.  But I can't find anything else out there that verifies Abel, Jr. being a doctor. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

Jax

fisherdawg

http://www.concordma.com/magazine/julaug01/samuelprescott.html

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GenMassachusetts/2002-03/1015607850

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73435030

Dr's in those days often trained entirely as an apprentice to an established physician.  I wonder if Abel Jr. was such to his father and not yet a "full" MD.  Joseph Warren did attend Harvard, though.

I'll look through other references I have too.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

JustJax

I've noticed before on the Find a Grave site, that it lists Abel as Samuels younger brother.  He was two years older.  FYI.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

fisherdawg

Quote from: JustJax on June 11, 2014, 03:42:58 PM
I've noticed before on the Find a Grave site, that it lists Abel as Samuels younger brother.  He was two years older.  FYI.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

JJ, I had a parent come to our booth on Saturday at NRA Youth Day and he told me he was descended directly from William Prescott -- his last name is Prescott!  I wish I gotten his email.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=41369.0

I think Dr. Fischer would tell us to get as close to the original records as possible, but sometimes errors have gotten in there.  I'll pursue this further, if I can.
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren